[Planning] Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch [UFO4P]

Arthmoor

Ok, so for those of you who were wondering, yes, we're planning to go ahead with doing an Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch. It may be a bit early for this, all depends on how aggressively Bethesda begins patching the game, but we figure it's best to get off the ground sooner rather than later so that we know more or less what to expect once the official tools are released.

We will not begin any kind of proper work on the first release of the UFO4P until after the official CK/GECK is available. In addition, we probably won't be taking on any mesh or texture fixes until community tools have progressed far enough to handle these properly. Many of them are already making good progress, but they need to be in solid working order before anyone with 3D and/or texturing skills can really do effective fix work. There is little point in trying to fix much of anything until then.

For now, just play, and enjoy the game like we are. There's no rush. Post any bug reports you have in our collection thread. This was basically to let folks know that we're on board for this.

If you run into a quest bug, script bug, etc, please also report those here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544248-bug-report-index-pc/- Bethesda can't attempt to fix what we don't report, and it's best for everyone if they do. The less we need to deal with when the time comes, the better.

• Like 3

Thank goodness your team is handling this game!

Until our bug tracker is fixed, please post anything you can verify that happens in your game that appears to be broken.

Can't remember which project it was, but the bug trackers drove me nuts. I'd offer to write one in PHP, or do you guys have it under control?

The one we have here generally isn't bad, when it behaves. The update to IPB 3.4.8 broke something about it and we haven't been able to figure out what. We were going to build a new one using the IP.Content module, but we're up against deadlines for Witanlore and time just hasn't been on our side.

I really would rather avoid the hell of scratch writing a new one, but that thought has crossed my mind before. I could do it, I just don't want to :P Plus the likely loss of data from the existing pool would be staggering.

I guess it depends on how complex it is. When it comes down to it, simpler and easier to use is better while still having all necessary features, especially if that helps encourage people submitting the bugs to use it properly. Anyway, I just thought I'd put that out there - feel free to send me a message if you want to discuss it further outside the forums, I won't take up more of this thread :)

For the record, anything like this should be cross-posted here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544248-bug-report-index-pc/

There's a small chance at least some of this gets fixed officially, but only if issues are confirmed there. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd sure like to see as much stuff fixed officially as possible. The less we have to try and decipher from the CK (when it comes) without developer insight, the better.

We can only dream. Seeing some of these bugs and the bugs in the past... One really can't just blame "it's a massive game there will be bugs." (Tens of) thousands of unfixed bugs? I still believe some are just negligence, and that Bethesda should pay you. Maybe add that link to the top post? I posted into this thread, to avoid cluttering the other one.

Wow, Kudos for all who have agreed to work on this, its a heck of a commitment ..

.. I would not have encouraged it, but grateful that the same people who have done such an excellent job on Skyrim Unofficial patches will be once again dedicating to FO4.

I think when you guys throw the towel in it will be a shock to the system for Bethesda's future games.

Longevity of the community support owes a lot to your work.  :hug:

• Like 2

PS There is now an official Beta forum opened up, and beta 1.2.33 is being trialed :

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1559864-welcome-to-the-steam-beta-update-forum/#entry24579752

Edit : As per Skyrim they are describing some fixes with all encompassing statements ..

New Features

• Number pad keys can now be used for remapping
  • Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container

Fixes

• General memory and stability improvements
  • Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
  • Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete
  • During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player's health would continuously regenerate
  • Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
  • Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

.. So I guess some reading between the lines will be required again

Glad to see the God Rays option fixed, and most importantly work on the launcher beginning. Going to give it a whirl and see if the auto setup still selects low for my machine  :rolleyes:

Well this is a surprise. I assumed their wasn't a lot of interest from the Unofficial patch team due to dropping the FO3 patch and then not having one at all for FNV.

I wont be playing FO4 until I can get a better PC but I will certainly welcome it for when that time comes :)

That was a different group who originally started and then dropped the FO3 patch, and Kivan was still around doing UOP work at the time so I was busy making stuff for Oblivion and didn't really touch FO3 because of the navmesh bug :P

Didn't like NV enough to give a rat's ass about mods for it, so that game ended up with a bit of a mess as far as who patched what and there's like 4 competing projects to this day.

Skyrim had a much more organized structure for the patch team, and most of us have already grabbed FO4 and are enjoying it immensely and many of us decided it was worth the effort to return to bring about the UFO4P.

I thought Kivan and Quarn were involved to a degree with the FO3 patch? I was still playing Oblivion at the tjime FO3 came out so my knowledge of this is a little fuzzy.

Quarn was at first, but it was abandoned before long. I don't think Kivan ever got any of the Fallout games.

It took several years before an entirely new team picked up the UF3P. The problem is, that new team has begun giving in to the temptation to include content restoration with their bug fixes. Which IMO is only a short hop to then including things which are entirely for balance or subjective preference reasons. That's an issue that crippled the first 3 NV projects as well, and eventually led to the YUP which is, thus far, purely for fixing bugs like the UOP and USKP.

Hmm, thanks for the history on that, I never really followed what was going on because it wasn't the official unofficial ;) I was pretty disappointed that the real unofficial patchers didn't handle FO3 and FNV. I think I remember Quarn working on FO3, because I definitely remember submitting bug reports on that one. Anyway, let's just say we're very glad you're back coordinating UFO4P.

Didn't the UOP also feature content restoration too? :P I seem to recall the opening up of Unmarked Cave as an example.

Checking the changelog, Unmarked Cave was complete except for an unexplained locked door that had no reason to be locked. The content was present, visible on the map, but simply inaccessible due to the wrongly configured door.

You may be thinking of Rockmilk Cave though, which was indeed a case of restoring access to an area that had been cut off for whatever reason. That happened before our team was in charge of the project and we would not have done that as part of the UOP. That would instead have been covered under Shroob's content restoration mod. Since it had been done by Kivan back in 2008, we simply left it alone as taking it away would have generated more complaints by the time we were in charge in 2012.

Checking the changelog, Unmarked Cave was complete except for an unexplained locked door that had no reason to be locked. The content was present, visible on the map, but simply inaccessible due to the wrongly configured door.

You may be thinking of Rockmilk Cave though, which was indeed a case of restoring access to an area that had been cut off for whatever reason. That happened before our team was in charge of the project and we would not have done that as part of the UOP. That would instead have been covered under Shroob's content restoration mod. Since it had been done by Kivan back in 2008, we simply left it alone as taking it away would have generated more complaints by the time we were in charge in 2012.

Ahh I see, yes that was it.

I don't know how you work with this tracker. So when you go to Fallout 4, nothing shows up in the status categories until you select a type category? You can't get an overview or newest bugs etc, only by type? I have a feeling I'm missing something, which is why I ask.

When you select a type category, it goes to unconfirmed first, so that's an extra unnecessary click to go to Overview.

When you are in a type category, the type categories disappear, so you have to go to FO4 and then pick type, which is another unecessary click.

Would drive me crazy. Will see how it works for submitting bugs.

Heh, yes, it's definitely got its quirks. It's the only package that exists though that interfaces with the forum system. Anything else would have required separate account systems and stuff like that, and there's very few packages that would meet our needs with those.

Until we can get a new one written up using the IP.Content module this one will have to do, warts and all. It worked pretty well for Skyrim.

Either I've just forgotten, or this is new.

Things are sometimes saying "Picked Non Ref AV Object: ''" when I'm clicking around try to get IDs.

Also, some IDs have either [PP] or [EP] after them, when you select them.

Any insights on what these mean?

Nope. No idea what any of those codes mean. It's something new with FO4 since previous games didn't have anything other than a [D] which represented a deleted object.

Just an FYI to anyone who might be confused by it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4526/is not us and this person is in no way associated with our project. We have no file to release yet since we're taking the more cautious approach about this. We are still very much in the collection phase and will not be releasing anything anywhere until official tools exist.

Just an FYI to anyone who might be confused by it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4526/is not us and this person is in no way associated with our project. We have no file to release yet since we're taking the more cautious approach about this. We are still very much in the collection phase and will not be releasing anything anywhere until official tools exist.

That was me, my bad!  I didn't know you guys were going to do FO4.

000fce33 "Aluminum Oil Can" gives Steel instead of Aluminum.

0016d8ca "Aluminum Tray" gives Steel instead of Aluminum.

001c7f23 "Oil Can" gives Aluminum instead of Steel like other oil cans.  The item name is "OilCan01Rare", so it may be intentional.  I changed it in mine to steel.  Judgement call on that one.  Feels like either the Aluminum Oil Can or all Oil Cans should be renamed if this change doesn't go in.

001cc2ad (Two Shot legendary mod) should multiply by two instead of add 1.

001c4010 and 001f24b6 are missing a capital letter on the second word (blossom instead of Blossom), and those two + 001c4011 are weighted at 1.0 instead of 0.1.

00249690 should be "Molerat Disease" not "Molerat disease"

000fc9c3 "Lead Pipe" should scrap to Lead, not Steel.

Other changes I added were apparently just a duplication of work done in this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2142/? xD.  Yay hivemind.

Eh, I moderate a couple modding subreddits, so I'm a community guy.  No thanks necessary.  I only started the mod because I didn't see it and thought people needed it.  Glad to see that it appears we're going to have some high quality patches coming our way.