DynDOLOD Guide - For Wrye Bash users

alt3rn1ty

A few more updates to the OP - Amended the wordage in a few places, and future proofed a bunch of the images hopefully so less images need updating each time there is an update to the whole setup

The first image creating the BAIN in the spoiler of step 5 in the first post, now has the TES5Edit folder named xEdit - When 1.48 is released you will see why.

I am back on shift work so updated a little ahead of things

DynDOLOD 1.48 1.49 has now been released

The guide needed a couple of tweaks, and see the RelZ post for more details

NB : You may well need to update to the most recent xEdit ( From FO4Edit Nexus page ), which includes a new version 1.0 of LODGen.exe, that exe is now out of beta - Older versions of LODGen.exe will either crash or create invalid BTO meshes causing the game to ILS/CTD.

Another edit :

Added a note about TexGen at the end of the OP, in a spoiler.

If you use mod replacer textures, and want to have LOD textures in the distance of the same textures which match the replacers in their miniaturised detail .. You will probably want to run this aswell.

So for example you use replacer textures for mountain textures, and the mod creator did not also do matching LODs for the same textures, then distant mountains will have LODs from the vanilla game files which will not pattern match your replacer mountain textures so will look odd if you look carefully enough at the distance where the LOD transitions to the full texture.

In my Install Order I have farmhouse replacer textures, and before using this always noticed a slight difference to the farmhouse texture as a get I closer due to the author not providing matching LOD textures for the same. Now they match and I do not notice any transition glitches :)

And of course DynDOLOD Worlds script then uses these LOD textures ( so long as you install them later than Original DynDOLOD textures, mods textures and Vanilla textures) when it generates the DynDOLOD Output files

• 1 month later...

This topic may well need an update sometime soon .. Dont shoot me if I am a bit behind the times :)

16/05/2016 - EDIT: UPDATING ..... WILL POST WHEN FINISHED EDITING

First post ( Installation ) and Second post ( Method of use ) have now been updated to Version 2+ ( Currently still in public beta, but going forward the new files ought to be used, along with adopting the new routine - Its quite a change from the older version of DynDOLOD, so I would recommend everyone go through the whole thing again )

See original Release post for lots of useful and important information http://forum.step-project.com/topic/5011-dynamic-distant-objects-lod-dyndolod-200-beta/page-265#entry165924

If using the older DynDOLOD setup ( prior to version 2+ ) it is recommended to completely uninstall the whole of the previous setup, before using the newer setup

In this image: http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/gallery/image/4150-dyndolod-bain-5/

Where is this "DLC2 Vvardenfell 3D Plume" from?  I think I have this mesh from somewhere but I cannot remember what mod for the life of me.  I thought it was Ruffled Feather, but that has a particle-based plume.

I'm asking because whatever version I had was improved with some edge falloff and I'd like to recommend that to the creator.

In this image: http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/gallery/image/4150-dyndolod-bain-5/

Where is this "DLC2 Vvardenfell 3D Plume" from?  I think I have this mesh from somewhere but I cannot remember what mod for the life of me.  I thought it was Ruffled Feather, but that has a particle-based plume.

I'm asking because whatever version I had was improved with some Falloff and I'd like to recommend that to the creator.

There is (was ?) an optional file for it in DynDOLOD's patches.

Its now in the Resources BAIN / FOMod

( third sub-package in that screenshot )

Uhm, wait, in the old DynDOLOD files it was also an Option ( as opposed to a DynDOLOD patch ) .. So I'm not sure but you seem to be happy with Kesta's answer so I will just butt out :) ( cant check, I'm back on shift )

I think that all now reads well, I have ( I think ) finished editing the first two posts

Now moved TexGen usage into the second post along with generating the rest

Just updated Post #1 step 4 and 5

Realised I missed a trick, you can install the DynDOLOD v2+ just about anywhere now in its own folder, it does not have to overwrite the old Edit Scripts folder so TES5Edit installations can be kept separate ..

.. In fact you could install the DynDOLOD folder ( Containing DynDOLOD.exe / TexGen.exe / Edit Scripts / Logs / Docs ) onto your desktop and run it from there if you wish - Sheson advises not to put it inside Skyrim \ Data \

So all relevant screens and descriptions updated accordingly .. I am recommending to put the DynDOLOD folder in Skyrim \ just to keep game specific tools with the game they manage ( similar to Mopy \ for Wrye Bash etc )

Doing it this way also now separates the TES5Edit Edit Scripts \ folder, from the DynDOLOD \ Edit Scripts \ folder, keeping the two individually distinct for updating purposes.

If using the older DynDOLOD setup ( prior to version 2+ ) it is recommended to completely uninstall the whole of the previous setup, before using the newer setup

Are you going to do an uninstallation guide for those of us who followed your installation guide for an prior version?  Or maybe post the old version somewhere so we can see the steps?  The BAINs are easy enough to uninstall, but I remember there were some things (scripts?) that were installed manually, but can't remember exactly what that was or where it was installed.  The old guide is gone now, so I can't refer to it to figure out what was installed previously.

Oh right .. Not sure if it needs adding to the guide though, will have a think on it ..

But basicly if upgrading the whole thing to v2 plus, from an older installation, all you need to eradicate is the old BAIN ( right click uninstall and delete ) which we made out of the old files ( now replaced with the new ready made Resources and Patches BAINs ), and also eradicate the overwrite of TES5Edits "Edit Scripts" folder ..

Easy method :

Go to steam \ steamapps \ common \ skyrim \

Right click and delete the "Edit Scripts" folder

re-install TES5Edit in accordance with its install instructions

You have now eradicated everything that was previously installed in that folder, and made TES5Edit and its Edit Scripts folder go back to only including TES5Edit files

( The new setup of DynDOLOD now goes into its own folder, so its own "Edit Scripts" folder is kept separate from TES5Edits ( that part at least is mentioned in the new guide :) ) )

Edit : I have now put a link to your post at the start of the Installation section, and a brief note which I think should cover it.

It's not so much of a SkyUI issue as a clean save issue (the MCM just lets you make the save cleaner by stopping scripts from running before you make the save).

The relevance for your guide would be where you suggest to make BAINs for high, medium and low options so you can easily switch options mid stream. The implication is that you can do that at any time but if a clean save is required when you switch options then you might want to mention it so people don't mess up their games by switching back and forth without doing a clean save.

I think the clean save is only required when DynDoLOD itself is updated, so if that's the case then your guide may not need to be changed.

I have looked for an answer on the DynDoLOD page but couldn't find it. His documentation is extensive, so maybe I missed it.

Now that I have SKYUI, and had a bit of a study ( plus consulting Sheson to check the wording ) the modification of post #2 yesterday includes advice for this

( I saw your topic on Bethesda old forums yesterday too but cannot answer .. Pre-empting the old forums going dead I have invalidated my old account there so that no password I use or real email address exists in future if it gets hacked after being archived ( in the past few years it has been hacked a couple of times that I know of requiring password changes ) - I dont know when it is going to get the chop but it could be anytime without any warning really, same thing happened for the fallout forums. New Account on Beth' net is ( unfortunately ) where I will be henceforth on their forums )

Now that I have SKYUI, and had a bit of a study ( plus consulting Sheson to check the wording ) the modification of post #2 yesterday includes advice for this

Thanks. I have read your post and its good advice.

The issue I am having now is I want to remove Immersive Patrols, which is a script free mod that according to it's author is pretty safe to uninstall.  Problem is that Immersive Patrols is dependent on DynDoLOD.esp.  I am not sure why DynDoLOD made Immersive Patrols a master since Immersive Patrols does not edit landscape.  It just adds patrols, but Wrye Bash is showing that DynDoLOD.esp has Immersive Patrols as a master.

Since Immersive Patrols is a master to DynDoLOD.esp, I cannot uninstall Immersive Patrols without completely regenerating DynDoLOD.esp, at which point, I might as well upgrade from the old 1.46 to the new version.  But since the new version is beta with a full release coming soon and I may make more refinements to my load order, I am looking at either using TES5LODGen or running DynDoLOD without the dynamic LOD/DynDoLOD.esp for the time being.  That way I can change things easier and maybe go back to full DynDoLOD.esp in the future when the full release is out and my load order is more solidified.

( I saw your topic on Bethesda old forums yesterday too but cannot answer .. Pre-empting the old forums going dead I have invalidated my old account there so that no password I use or real email address exists in future if it gets hacked after being archived ( in the past few years it has been hacked a couple of times that I know of requiring password changes ) - I dont know when it is going to get the chop but it could be anytime without any warning really, same thing happened for the fallout forums. New Account on Beth' net is ( unfortunately ) where I will be henceforth on their forums )

Yikes. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should do that too.

In that case ( though I have never used Immersive Patrols so this is a bit rough around the edges how I think it should go ) :

I would do a merge update of DynDOLODs generated files ( so if using this guide you would need to put the generated files back in your Output path to be updated after removing Immersive Patrols )

I dont think you need to do the Clean Save routine because you will not need to flush any dynamic scripting, just static objects probably

But you may need to do some kind of clean save routine that the author of Immersive Patrols recommends .. Is there such a thing or is it a case of you have become dependant on that mod in your saves too that a new game start would best be advised ?

Could you do a thirty day wait outside of any cells touched by Immersive Patrols ( probably indoors somewhere remote, like the Abandoned Shack the Dark Brotherhood uses  ) ?

The issue is the game won't run without Immersive Patrols because DynDoLOD.esp has Immersive Patrols a master, so the game would immediately crash because of the missing master.  I don't think a merge update would remove the dependency on Immersive Patrols, would it?

I think it would, if Immersive patrols is no longer present in your load order when DynDOLOD creates its own plugin again, I would imagine that any records referenced by DynDOLOD.esp from Immersive Patrols plugin would / should be cleaned out.

If it doesn't, then I am pretty sure Sheson would like to know that the expectation during a merge is not working

I havent tried that scenario myself .. Are you a member of the STEP forum where Sheson hangs out for feedback ?

Yes, I am a member of STEP.  Maybe I should ask him for guidance on what to do.  If there is an easy way to remove Immersive Patrols as a master without having to do a clean save, then I can do that and keep 1.46 a while longer.

EDIT:  Okay, I just asked Sheson whether I need to do a clean save/full regeneration in order to remove the dependency on Immersive Patrols.  I hate to bother him again.  He has so much going on with his modding projects which are awesome and he has so much patience to respond to so many people asking for his help all the time in his.

I think it would, if Immersive patrols is no longer present in your load order when DynDOLOD creates its own plugin again, I would imagine that any records referenced by DynDOLOD.esp from Immersive Patrols plugin would / should be cleaned out.

If it doesn't, then I am pretty sure Sheson would like to know that the expectation during a merge is not working

I havent tried that scenario myself .. Are you a member of the STEP forum where Sheson hangs out for feedback ?

Per Sheson:

If you want to remove mods that are masters in DynDOLOD.esp, you need to generate from scratch with clean save and all. See "Uninstallation / Updating" in the included manual.

For anyone needing guidance for other mod managers, I have linked a new video guide by GamerPoets in the second post

• 4 weeks later...

DynDOLOD v2.10 has been released, its now out of beta :)

No changes to the guide were needed

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide alt3rn1ty, and well written too with a lot of details! :bigcookie:

Now, if you haven't already done that I wonder if you could repost this DynDOLOD guide here. :)