lmstearn

To anyone borne an epiphany in silent muse (or at lest toyed with the idea ) of store & retrieval of computer game resources during gameplay? Something along the lines of an attempt at quickly referencing the contents of such beast bypassing (to some degree) the vagaries of the hosting OS filesystem. An advance on something like SQL Server  to manage the ES games of the future.

As disks and SSDs are going to be spinning ever faster, any such performance gains will be trivial. But for the truly massive games of the future we going to be looking at terabytes of game goodies right ? :P

Heh... a bit like the boxed games of the past (remember the Amiga?).... but with an input socket for mods!

Well, it's proposed as kind of a discussion of thoughts rather than a Q&A:-. But if it were a question then it would tend to be...gently leading to... er...along the lines of... How would we rate the titillation factor of databases in a modded gaming environment?

Edit: Further elaboration is required I guess. :P

It's basically an idea on the evolution of game engines where the Constraints of File Access are forever tugging on the heels of Performance.

I envisage the future without bsa's and static "loose file" directories. The game engine will work with three distinct entities: a static Game database, a virtual Mod database, and a large Temp workspace on the hosting file system.

The databases will be quite sophisticated dynamically, changing the organization of internal records and spooling of records depending on the game state. They might be compared to some kind of "satellite" filesystem.

There will be esps, or equivalent, but their assets will be swallowed by the Mod database according to certain rules. But the focus will be on the efficacy of these databases in various scenarios like different games or operating systems etc.

Oh yeah the Amiga came to mind as one could insert a game pack into the computer and the game data would page from its own disk into memory. Only a small area on the HDD was used at the expense of gobbling much of the CPU's resource. :P

• 1 year later...

I think MMH Smithy is enough exposure for the community when it comes to online activity.  Another activity is of course the new modding site Discord.

I think you read Fligg's post too serious, instead read his post with a portion of sarkcasm with what I said in the post above his post.