[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]

Arthmoor

So I wanted to followup on the post I made earlier about replacing the magicsoultrapfxscript from USLEEP to restore black souls gems/black star's ability to capture white souls.

After reviewing the USLEEP changelog for every change made to soul trap, reviewing the source code for script changes, reviewing all USLEEP edits to the various soul trap spells and effects in xEdit and testing in game with a replaced script, using the soul trap spell, the enchantment and the mystic binding bound weapon perk, there appear to be no ill effects from replacing USLEEP script.  Everything seems to work fine and all other USLEEP fixes related to soul trap are working.

Both Bug #19297 (regarding black soul gems/black star disappearing from player inventory when soul trapping a non humanoid ghost) and Bug #14854 (regarding an infinite loop) appear to have been fixes for the initial USLEEP fix to prevent black soul gems/black star from holding white souls (Bug #14194), which works by temporarily removing said soul gems from the player inventory during a soul trap on a non humanoid.  I did not see any changelog entry indicating there was any problem with the vanilla script's functionality (other than allowing black soul gems/black star to absorb white souls) and I did not see where any other aspect of USLEEP relied on the edited script in a way that would cause adverse side effects by replacing the script.

In conclusion, there appears to be no adverse side effects from replacing this USLEEP script with the vanilla script to reverse this specific change.  It seems to be an available option for those who wish to do so, while preserving the other 20,000 plus USLEEP fixes.

For anyone who is interested, excerpts to the USLEEP changelog involving soul trap are here:  

v2.1.3 (2015-07-12)

When soul trapping a non-humanoid Actor that was set up as a ghost, and had the default ghost loot flag set, there was a possibility that 
all empty black soul gems and The Black Star would be permanently lost due to the way in which ghosts with the default loot flag handle 
swapping the items before turning into an ash pile. This problem has now been eliminated by using a dedicated dummy NPC in a USKP test 
cell so that these items can no longer become lost. (Bug #19297)

v2.0.2 (2014-02-16)

USKP Fixes
The Soul Trap script has been bulletproofed against the possibility of other mods modifying the properties on one of the various Soul Trap 
effects so that they won't cause an infinite loop with no exit. This *IS NOT* a problem if you were either using no Soul Trap mods or had 
not yet used the spell after the 2.0.1 update. (Bug #14854)

UDGP Fixes
Edits to the 3rd level of Soul Tear have bee removed to restore balance with the USKP fix for Soul Trap.  xx007cb6

UDGP Fixes
The 3rd level of the Soul Tear shout allows soul trapping targets and thus required the properties for its script to be updated to match 
the USKP. Due to this, the UDGP now explicitly requires the USKP as a master.  xx007cb6

v2.0.1 (2014-02-08)

Soul Trap visuals will no longer stick to inanimate objects. (Bug #7167)

Soul Trap will no longer be castable on a dead NPC, which resulted in an endless exploit for conjuration gains. (UESP)

PerkSoulStealerFFContact requires the same fixes as the normal Soul Trap effect in order to function properly. (Bug #14152)

Soul trapping black souls (NPCs) into the white version of Azura's Star has been mentioned as being impossible by in game dialogue, 
printed in game information sources, and all known lore from the TES series as well as published game guides. Regular black soul gems 
should also only accept the souls of NPCs (black souls) and is mentioned in all of the same lore material as being this way. This major 
discrepancy should now be fixed. Azura's Black Star and other regular black soul gems should now be the only ones able to trap black 
souls. (Bug #14194)

The 3 spells which make use of the soul trap magic effect needed to have their delivery types updated to match the fixed "aimed" 
effect of the effect. (Bug #12938)

The visible soul trap hit effect did not play when a target was struck due to a faulty effect mesh. (meshes\magic\soultraptargeteffects.nif)

v2.0.0a (2013-11-01)

The Soul Trap spell lacked a visual projectile when cast due to having the wrong delivery type set. (Bug #12938)

Soul Trap animations would not play for bound weapons after obtaining the Soul Stealer perk (PerkSoulStealerFFContact) due to the perk not having the effect script attached. (Bug #901)

USLEEP fixes bugs. Your bed & chest not showing up after Neloth said you're getting it is a bug. This is not up for debate.

Yes, finally after some trouble I got a bed and a chest in Tel Mithryn.  Hey, I was only suggesting nothing else.

In the Hall of the Vigilant location there is two crates that's floating with these ID's.

20160807211126 1

The other ID is the "000f48cc" crate, a little from the wall to the left.

Small question about the changelog : What does the [NR] tag mean ? (seen on bug #20724 in the latest USLEEP as of now, under Quest Fixes, the bug about the spouse not being unrestrained if fast-ending the kidnapping)

[Not Retroactive], == [New Quest Startup Required] or [New Game Required].

Thanks so much for all the fixes!

A couple of observations:

1. Huntsman's Prowess, Silent Moons Enchant and the Drainheart Sword enchantments are all learnable, so I don't know why the Notched Pickaxe was singled out.
  2. The name for the alchemy ingredient "Vampire dust" is misformatted. The "d" should be uppercase.

1. It is a unique item and the developers didn't intend for it to be disenchanted. It also has two enchantments. See this bug report: http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?app=trac&module=issues&section=issues&do=view&id=12068

From the change log: "The Notched Pickaxe (dunVolunruudPickaxe) found at Throat of the World should not be allowed to be disenchanted due to its unique status. (Bug #12068)"

2. The name shows up as "Vampire Dust" in my game. The EditorID is "vampireDust" which isn't something we need to worry about. If the "d" in the actual name is lowercase in your game then you have a mod changing it.

I have collected every skill book in Skyrim mainland except for three which simply refuse to appear, no matter what. And no console manipulation that I know of can make them appear for me to collect (and easily solving my issue).

The books are: 1. Sithis / DB sanct; 2. Sithis / DS sanct; 3. Sacred Witness / DS sanct

(following image is made by me using CK for the first time ever, modified to load all master files up to USLEEP)

NNrVvkW.png

Image shows these 3 book properties (in order I mentioned them) which differentiate from most, if not all, other skill books - notably the "Initially Disabled" and script presence. Both of which, to my limited knowledge, are most relevant here. (Btw let it be marked in history that I said that camera navigation in CK needed to get this simple information is the dumbest mankind ever conceived)

Also, there is a mention of this script being modified in USLEEP change-log: Bug #14203

So my question: is something in the scripts still wrong or I failed to create conditions in my game for these books to appear for pickup? The book in DB sanct was never present. Not from the first time I entered, not to this day, long time after completing the last BD quest or any time in between. Same thing with 2 books in DS sanct. If it matters, previous copies of Sithis and Sacred Witness (from other places) I haven't yet read. They were picked up by a follower and after that I stashed them without reading.

Sorry again if I typed in wrong section. Not knowing if it's a game or USLEEP bug, or if it even is a bug for that matter and me just failing somewhere. I didn't want to create a ticket in bug tracker for that reason. Hopefully good people here can shed some light what's going on here. Nothing to complicated, I just want to know how to get the damn books :)

Oh, one more thing: is there a way to search bug tracker by #BugNumber? To get a better understanding of the bug from where report originated.

You may want to double check the 3.0.5 changes to Windhelm. I updated recently and now crash in Windhelm almost every time my character tried to enter the City. (Crashed 5 out of 6 attempts to enter the city by the main entrance). I rolled back to 3.0.4a and the crashes stopped completely.

Also, is it safe to roll back to 3.0.4a after playing for a while with 3.0.5, or do I need to go back to an earlier save?

Hm, haven't experienced any Windhelm crashes on 305.

But to answer your question, no, it is not safe to downgrade. Take yourself back to a save that had 304.

Hm, haven't experienced any Windhelm crashes on 305.

But to answer your question, no, it is not safe to downgrade. Take yourself back to a save that had 304.

I figured out the problem. USLEEP 305 conflicts with JK's Skyrim. I am using "JK's Skyrim major cities only", under optional files.

Here is what I did to test. I tested on a brand new save with only USLEEP 305, Alternate Start and SkyUI installed -- cart ride to Windhelm. I could enter Windhelm without a crash. Made a save outside of Windhelm. Install JK's Skyrim Load the save made outside Windhelm with JK's Skyrim and USLEEP 305, Alternate Start and SkyUI installed and the game crashes nearly every time it tries to load Windhelm from the main gate.

This conflict was introduced with the 305 edits to Windhelm, since there is no problem entering Windhelm with USLEEP 304 and JK's Skyrim both installed and loaded. Hopefully you can figure it out and fix it in a future version, since JK's Skyrim is pretty popular and it would be sad if people were forced to choose between USLEEP and JK's Skyrim, especially those that did not have an older version of USLEEP to fall back on like I do.

Thanks for the heads up on it not being safe to downgrade on an existing save.

If what you say is actually the case, then no, there is nothing for us to fix and the onus is going to be on JK's to figure out what's causing the problem. As our documentation states, we answer only to the vanilla game and it's DLCs and nothing more. Conflicts with other mods are not our concern.

Nobody is FORCED to choose between anything btw. The real solution is for the other mod to figure out what they're doing that the game doesn't like, because I doubt very much it's exclusively a problem with just USLEEP involved.

If what you say is actually the case, then no, there is nothing for us to fix and the onus is going to be on JK's to figure out what's causing the problem. As our documentation states, we answer only to the vanilla game and it's DLCs and nothing more. Conflicts with other mods are not our concern.

Nobody is FORCED to choose between anything btw. The real solution is for the other mod to figure out what they're doing that the game doesn't like, because I doubt very much it's exclusively a problem with just USLEEP involved.

I would have hoped for a better attitude from a community leader like you, but that's your prerogative, I guess. I would think you would want to at least look at the issue and see what is going on, and whether your minor navmesh fix and/or minor mesh fixes for havoc sounds could be done in a way that is more compatible with other mods, rather than just dismissing it out of hand without even considering the possibility that you may be able to accomplish USLEEP's goals of bugfixing in a way that offers more compatibility with other mods. If there is a conflict with the USLEEP 305's Windhelm changes and JK's Skyrim there may be conflicts with other mods as well. And JK's Skyrim (over 200,000 unique downloads, by the way) is no longer in active development. It has basically been finished for a couple of years, so the chances the mod author will want to come back and fix an issue may be slight.

And for the record, since you seem to be doubting my veracity here, what I say about the conflict between USLEEP 305 and JK's Skyrim is actually the case. If you don't want to take my word for it, you can look at the posts on the JK Nexus comments page where several other people are reporting this exact same issue. Also, this conflict is easily verifiable in five minutes of testing, so you don't have to take my word for it.

None of this affects me personally, since I already have version 304 and I have the skills to figure out which of the 305 changes are causing the problem and fix it myself if it came to that. But considering the sheer number of changelog entries where the USLEEP team has fixed bugs it caused in its attempts to fix other bugs, I would think you would want to at least take a second look at this issue to see what's going on here with USLEEP before just shooting off an arrogant "its my way or the highway" response without even looking at the issue.

See, you are approaching this from an entirely wrong perspective. "An issue we caused" is not accurate at all. We fixed a bug. A fix that caused no issues in the vanilla game with the DLCs, and one that is also not causing problems in my own more heavily modded game, along with the setups thousands of other people are using as well.

A navmesh is a navmesh. There is only one way to approach editing it. It was done using the official toolset so there's really nothing to be done here.

And since you insist on bringing up my status as a community leader as though that should change something, keep in mind that one of the things such a leader must do is decide on what's best for the project. Fixing bugs is our mandate. If one single mod out of a sea of 40,000 plus has an issue, then I'm sorry, but we cannot make special accommodations for that. It's just not going to happen. There's nothing arrogant about it and we don't appreciate having this kind of false light presented. Our policies are what they are because they have to be and history has proven them to be valid and effective in that regard.

Abandoned mods are abandoned mods. Simple logic should suggest to you that a problem like this is inevitable in something that's no longer being properly maintained, which is why we don't bend for anyone without a very good reason. This isn't a very good reason. The mod in question needs to evaluate what it is about their edits that is inducing this problem where no other is.

Not exactly sure how you can "disagree" with the technical implementation of a basic game system, but ok.

I would have hoped for a better attitude from a community leader like you, but that's your prerogative, I guess.   I would think you would want to at least look at the issue and see what is going on, and whether your minor navmesh fix and/or minor mesh fixes for havoc sounds could be done in a way that is more compatible with other mods, rather than just dismissing it out of hand without even considering the possibility that you may be able to accomplish USLEEP's goals of bugfixing in a way that offers more compatibility with other mods.  If there is a conflict with the USLEEP 305's Windhelm changes and JK's Skyrim there may be conflicts with other mods as well.  And JK's Skyrim (over 200,000 unique downloads, by the way) is no longer in active development.  It has basically been finished for a couple of years, so the chances the mod author will want to come back and fix an issue you caused may be slight.

And for the record, since you seem to be doubting my veracity here, what I say about the conflict between USLEEP 305 and JK's Skyrim is actually the case.  If you don't want to take my word for it, you can look at the posts on the JK Nexus comments page where several other people are reporting this exact same issue.  Also, this conflict is easily verifiable in five minutes of testing, so you don't have to take my word for it.

None of this affects me personally, since I already have version 304 and I have the skills to figure out which of the 305 changes are causing the problem and fix it myself if it came to that.  But considering the sheer number of changelog entries where the USLEEP team has fixed bugs it caused in its attempts to fix other bugs, I would think you would want to at least take a second look at this issue to see what's going on here with USLEEP before just shooting off an arrogant "its my way or the highway" response.

I once were a team lead for the UMP project for almost 1½ years and I know what Arthmoor mean by saying like that, is it up to JK to figure it out what's causing a CTD in Windhelm since that cannot be caused by the USLEEP.

Trust me, things like that was likely the main reason why UMP doesn't get a permanent home with one location for both support and a valid download for the last +10 years and only now since late July 2014 UMP finally have a permanent home.

It doesn't matter how many people who have downloaded a popular mod, an issue is an issue and it's up for the author to fix it.  Otherwise, no one would never use USLEEP if that was the case and most people know that's not the case for USLEEP.

See, you are approaching this from an entirely wrong perspective. "An issue we caused" is not accurate at all. We fixed a bug. A fix that caused no issues in the vanilla game with the DLCs, and one that is also not causing problems in my own more heavily modded game, along with the setups thousands of other people are using as well.

A navmesh is a navmesh. There is only one way to approach editing it. It was done using the official toolset so there's really nothing to be done here.

And since you insist on bringing up my status as a community leader as though that should change something, keep in mind that one of the things such a leader must do is decide on what's best for the project. Fixing bugs is our mandate. If one single mod out of a sea of 40,000 plus has an issue, then I'm sorry, but we cannot make special accommodations for that. It's just not going to happen. There's nothing arrogant about it and we don't appreciate having this kind of false light presented. Our policies are what they are because they have to be and history has proven them to be valid and effective in that regard.

Abandoned mods are abandoned mods. Simple logic should suggest to you that a problem like this is inevitable in something that's no longer being properly maintained, which is why we don't bend for anyone without a very good reason. This isn't a very good reason. The mod in question needs to evaluate what it is about their edits that is inducing this problem where no other is.

I fully agree as a mod author. It is up to us (The mod authors) to stay in line with USLEEP. Would you go and complain to bethesda (Or will you after the remaster is released?) because tons of your mods won't work? This is the same case here. USLEEP is a patch for the LEGENDARY GAME. Simply that and nothing else. Just like item, book and any other fix that edits words, phrases, damages, bounds. These are all fixes and it's up to the mod author to carry those fixes over NOT the USLEEP team. 

Not exactly sure how you can "disagree" with the technical implementation of a basic game system, but ok.

What I was disagreeing with was your decision to dismiss this without even considering whether there might be a better way of doing it or whether that particular bug was even worth it to fix at this point in Skyrim's life span.  Skyrim's five years old.  A lot of very popular mods are finished and won't be updated further (unless the mod authors come back for SSE -- time will tell on that).  Inevitably, USLEEP will introduce more incompatibilities as you continue to seek out even the most insignificant bugs to squash regardless of the incompatibilities it may cause with existing mods.  What if it had been SkyUI that became incompatible with USLEEP 305?

You have already fixed over 20,000 bugs.  At some point, enough is enough when it comes to bug fixing, and I personally have reached that point with 304a.  Luckily, I have the old versions to fall back on, but not everyone does.  It is unfortunate that you won't allow users access to an older version of USLEEP, especially moving forward as USLEEP becomes incompatible with more and more existing mods whose authors have moved on to other things and won't be around to update them just for USLEEP compatibility.

We're dismissing it based on the evidence before us and the fact that there is no alternative method to editing navemeshes CORRECTLY. I stress correctly, because the evidence before us now bears out that something in the way JK's edits were done was not done correctly or this wouldn't even be an issue. So it's up to them to fix it, abandoned or not.

Even if it had been SkyUI that somehow became victim to some kind of UI related problem as the result of something we fixed, we'd expect them to adjust for it like anyone else. Popularity alone is not justification to revert a legitimate bug fix.

I'm afraid we cannot agree on the "enough is enough" thing just yet. I mean, look, we just updated the UOP again the other day. More than 10 years after the game was released. There are still non-trivial issues to be found in THAT game after this much time and I can guarantee you the same thing will be the case with Skyrim for years to come. Even after everyone moves on to SSE.

SSE can't happen soon enough btw. Abandoned mods won't be updated and thus won't be there to cause problems like this for people who still maintain their stuff properly. A net positive no matter how you slice it, and we fully intend to be there.

SSE can't happen soon enough btw. Abandoned mods won't be updated and thus won't be there to cause problems like this for people who still maintain their stuff properly. A net positive no matter how you slice it, and we fully intend to be there.

On that we can agree for sure.

Maybe I made too big of a deal over this whole thing.  Sorry.

It looks like a patch can be made by just dragging the navmesh with formid 000f1a86 from USLEEP over into JK's Skyrim or into a new esp that loads after JK's Skyrim, although I don't know if that is how you are supposed to fix navmesh problems, it does stop the CTDs with USLEEP and JK's Skyrim loaded.

I'm glad you found a solution, Turija. Once you confirm if that is in fact the way it should be done (and I know next to nothing about navmeshes, so I cannot confirm that for you), maybe release it as a patch on Nexus.

USLEEP has had this position from the very beginning, AFAIK. And it does end up working out for the better. Fixes get forwarded in the end, and everyone is better off. :-)

You may also want to contact Nazenn and see if the lite version of JKs would benefit from forwarding the change (and then editing it to fit). You can't simply forward it or it'll just make things worse. It has to be forwarded over and then updated within the mod to fit.