[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]

Arthmoor

We've only confirmed 3 relatively minor ones so far. There's a difference between "reported" and "verified" :P

Hey Arthmoor (and team),

Firstly, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you folks. You've contributed more to the Skyrim modding community than anyone else I can think of. If I had to forego all of my mods save one, I would keep the Unofficial Patch. As others have stated, Bethesda should have hired you folks long ago.

To the point - just a few humble suggestions, if I may:

Over the last couple weeks I've been occasionally glancing through the posts on the Nexus USLEEP page, and the sheer ignorance is just painful to read.

Half of the posts seem to be asking whether to remove the old patches or keep them with USLEEP. One quarter of the remaining posts seem to ask what the process is to transition from the old patches to USLEEP. Maybe those numbers are slight exaggerations, but I'm sure you get my point.

Of course, the answers to these questions are obvious to anyone reading this forum; even anyone who takes more than a minute or two to browse the posts could find the answers if they didn't know. But of course, some people are impatient, and those fools seem to just want to post questions without looking for answers themselves.

I decided to finally respond to some of these ignorant people and quote the description page...however to my surprise, the description page didn't list any of this info! At least not explicitly. It is implied that USLEEP replaces the old patches :

The goal of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP) is to eventually fix every bug with Skyrim and its 3 DLCs[...]

However, this is not explicit. It is not written anywhere on the description page that USLEEP replaces USKP and the other unofficial patches (except the Unofficial High Resolution Patch). This may help reduce unecessary posts and the resulting support if you explicitly added this information in bold (or even in plain text) to the description.

I know, it seems obvious...but some cannot read between the lines. And if I am getting sick of people asking the same questions over and over on your posts page, I can only imagine how frustrated you folks must feel. :-P

Likewise, no where on the description page or the sticky post is it stated exactly how to transition from the old Unofficial Patches to USLEEP. Replying to some misinformation, a user named Visdagon succinctly summarized:

1.: Check your mods to see if any among them list these mods as masters: Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, Unofficial Hearthfire Patch, Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

2.: Uninstall Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, Unofficial Hearthfire Patch, Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

3a.: If yes to 1.: Check to see if those mods that did require USKP have updated versions that now use USLEEP. If you have ANY that you want to use that Do require USKP and have Not made the switch to USLEEP, download the newest version of the USKPs AND USLEEP

3b.: If no to 1.: Download USLEEP

4. Install all the above if that you needed

5. Fix load order to proper

6a.: If you no longer needed USKP support, your done!

6b.: If you still have mods that required USKP support, follow the sticky note or use the USLEEP Swap Masters Script with TES5Edit.

If you added this information in a sticky post above the current one, this may also help avoid unnecessary posts and the resulting support needed.

I also noticed that the FAQ - About the Project linked to in the Nexus description is not updated for USLEEP. If updated, this may also help the ignorant gain a little knowledge regarding USLEEP.

Lastly, I know the bug tracker is down, and has been for a while. However, the link in the description page leads to it (which obviously produces an error). Perhaps change this link to head to the temporary thread for now? Or ask people to post in the 'Bugs' section of the Nexus page?

Anyway, these are all the suggestions I have to possibly reduce the amount of spam you guys get due to ignorance. You see, I don't want you guys to get so frustrated with the fools of the Skyrim modding community that you go ahead and quit on us. ;-) LOL

Thanks for your time. And thanks again for all that you folks do.

Cheers,

Nebulous

I recently came back to playing and making mods (well, finishing a large WIP, actually) for Skyrim after a lengthy break. I updated the patches, TES5Edit, SKSE etc, cleaned the masters and started looking into changing over to USLEEP.

I was checking something out in TES5Edit and there was red, red, red everywhere. I decided to check a few ingredients in my plug-in, the first thing I checked at random was one of the Ingestible items, Matze.

Matze is a Dunmer alcoholic wine native to Morrowind and made from fermented saltrice which appeared in Skyrim in the Dragonborn plug-in. In Morrowind, it Fortified Strength but Drained Willpower and Intelligence.

In Skyrim, we do not have attribute scores anymore, but as STR affected Stamina/Fatigue and INT and WIL affected things like magicka, magicka resistance and magicka regeneration, for Skyrim they decided to make it:

Restore 10 Stamina.

Resist 20% of frost damage for 60 seconds.

Decrease the target's Magicka regeneration by 25% for 60 seconds.

But both USLEEP and the Dragonborn patch has changed the EFID Base Effects in this way:

AlchRestoreStamina "Restore Stamina"          [MGEF:0003EB16] 

AlchResistFrost "Resist Frost"                [MGEF:0003EAEB]

AlchDamageMagickaRate "Damage Magicka Regen"  [MGEF:00073F2B]

FoodRestoreStamina "Restore Stamina"          [MGEF:000F33CC]

AlchResistFrost "Resist Frost"                [MGEF:0003EAEB]

FoodDamageStaminaRate "Damage Stamina Regen"  [MGEF:0010C645]

So the patches change one of the effects from Alch to Food but changes another effect entirely from Damage Magicka Regeneration to Damage Stamina Regeneration. So now it restores Stamina but also Damages Stamina Regeneration, like any old, cheapass, Nord ale.

Apart from appearing to be absolutely pointless faff-arsing about, I am really curious about what the point of this change could possibly be? It appears to be a purely design preference decision rather than anything that actually matters. It does matter for people who prefer it the way Beth made it and it matters for a mod that uses the effects of Matze as an alchemical ingredient in a new potion recipe, of course (I have to extract the effects with new equipment to make an Essence of Matze ingredient, like I can use ore to make Gold Dust, Silver Dust etc as new ingredients).

I always had the impression that the Unofficial patches never changed anything based on design decisions and only fixed bugs. What was the "bug"? Alcoholic drinks in TES have always functioned like Alchemical potions and never actually slaked thirst unless you use a realism mod like RND or iNeed.

What was the bug that was fixed by changing Damage Magicka Regeneration to Damage Stamina Regeneration? Or did someone make a mistake or use an automated script and not notice? I dread to think how many other things like this there might be.

It's a good thing I originally made my mod with all the DLC and just the USKP and not the other patches, as this sort of thing just seem to be driving diversity and regional variation out of the game and enforcing a fake conformity for reasons that completely escape me.

I realise you may have bigger problems at the moment, but how many changes like this am I likely to find in INGR, FOOD, POTN and COBJ etc etc forms?

Cheers!

We have a changelog, and a forum search function. Both are easy to use.

Original bug report from the tracker.

From the changelog; v2.1.2

The following alchohol items are assigned the wrong effect for doing temporary stamina regen rate damage and for restoring stamina: DLC2Flin, DLC2Matze (also incorrectly damaged magicka regen rate), DLC2FoodAshfireMead, DLC2RRF04Sujamma, DLC2RRFavor01EmberbrandWine, DLC2Shein, and DLC2Sujamma. (Bug #18068)

Original bug report from the tracker.

Hi Hana, I noticed that recently other people, and you here, posted a link to an old entry in the tracker. Does that mean there is a way to read old tracker entries, even if TracDown is out of service ?

Quoting the original report since the tracker is inaccessible:

I spend 10 minutes with search function to avoid reporting a duplicate:

Some (but not all) alcoholic beverages added by Dragonborn DLC use the Magic Effects that were designed for potions and alchemy:

AlchDamageStamina (Emberbrand, Sujamma, Sadri's Sujamma, Shein, Flin, Mazte/Matze)

AlchDamageMagicka (Mazte/Matze)

All beverages in Skyrim, Hearthfire and Dawnguard scrictly stick to the FoodDamageStaminaRate effect.

Dragonborn DLC itself is not consistent. Ashfire Mead (correctly) uses the FoodDamageStaminaRate effect.

Suggested fix number 1:

Change effects of:

EditorID - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Name

DLC2Flin- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Flin

DLC2Sujamma - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Sujamma
DLC2Shein - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Shein
DLC2RRF04Sujamma - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Sadri's Sujamma
DLC2RRFavor01EmberbrandWine - - - - - - - - - Emberbrand Wine

DLC2Matze - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mazte/Matze

from AlchDamageStaminaRate ---> to : FoodDamageStaminaRate

I think this one is relatively clear. All other beverages behave like that for a reason I will explain in the last paragraph.

Suggested fix number 2 - which is a bit tricky:

Change effect of:

EditorID - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Name

DLC2Matze - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Mazte/Matze

from AlchDamageMagickaRate ---> to : USKPFoodDamageMagickaRate (newly created)

FoodDamageMagickaRate does not exist and thus might have to be created.

Why is all of this important - reasoning:

1. consistency

2. Food and beverages should be seperated from alchemical effects that are used on ingredients and potions. Otherwise mod-added changes that are targeted at Alchemy will affect beverages as well, but not all beverages but just those that Beth messed up.

@Elgar, yes actually, there is.

On each patch changelog page, there's a box in the top paragraph labeled View Bug #. Search the changelog with your browsers Find feature using keywords to find the change entry you're looking for. At the end of the entry is the bug #. Enter that in the box at the top of the page and it will take you to the Tracdown report for more information.

(I can still view reports in the tracker, I'm not sure if regular users can)

Quoting the original report since the tracker is inaccessible:

Thanks for the reply guys.

This still strikes me as a subjective design decision and I have to wonder how many others have crept in over the years as the real, actual bugs have been eliminated. I do know that patches 2.1.3b created a hell of a lot more red than patches 2.0.0.

1. consistency

Who says?

2. Food and beverages should be seperated from alchemical effects that are used on ingredients and potions. Otherwise mod-added changes that are targeted at Alchemy will affect beverages as well, but not all beverages but just those that Beth messed up.

Who says they are "messed up"? People who never played Morrowind? Certain, more exotic alcohols always were treated like potions rather than mere drinks. I think it's a shame Beth did not add more variation for Sujamma, Flin, Shein etc. And what if people wanted the Vanilla versions and are using them in mods already? What about RND and other food/drink Mods? I am starting to look at iNeed but I don't yet know how different it is to RND. I have an RND Patch for my mod already, but I might actually change to iNeed when I find out more about it.

Some beverages are flagged as potions because some of them actually ARE potions and have special effects. So we have to change it?

And yet the AlchResistFrost "Resist Frost" [MGEF:0003EAEB] remains? So will Alchemy mods affect that effect?

So what about:

Argonian Bloodwine, Resist Poison, 40 pts for 50 secs, Waterbreathing, for 50 secs

Colovian Brandy, Fortify Barter, 20 pts for 30 secs

Firebrand Wine, Resist Frost 15 points for 45 seconds

Is someone going to say:

"Ooh! Some interesting, regional variation! Have to change that! After all, there's not enough absolutely identical, indistinguishable trash in the game as it is!"

Where will it end? Restore Health potions are "not consistent" with Damage Health potions, so they all get changed to do exactly the same thing?  :crazy:

I can see the point of adding a vendor item keyword so you can sell things. Otherwise, you have to hoard them, use them or dump them. I can see an argument that not being able to sell them to vendors may be an oversight by Bethesda. I can go through everything in TES5Edit and add that keyword to anything in my mods that flag the separate patches or USLEEP in red if needed. But I am suddenly much less happy about making any mod relying on the patches any more as I thought they fixed bugs and only fixed actual, real bugs. I am a huge supporter of the Unofficial patch product and have been since I got a PC that could run Skyrim in March 2012.

But actually changing effects?

Ball Firmly Dropped, IMHO.

I have seen this reported on nexus but I have just come across it too on a new game.

Heimskr is refusing to preach. I check the patch notes and saw this had been fixed and the issues appeared sometime in the evening hours. However this is in the middle of the day.

Shadowblade, your approach to all of this frankly sucks. You are ranting on about opinion, yet you're interjecting your OPINION into the argument as though it were fact. The bug report had sound logic, explained its reasoning, and went uncontested for almost a whole year before we finalized it. There was plenty of time to raise REASONABLE objections, not just objections based on seeing too much red for your liking.

So I'll just fall back on what we usually have to say about this: If we removed every fix at least one person doesn't like for some reason, we'd have no patch left. No, I'm quite serious, we've had folks try to push serious arguments that even broken quests are intentionally broken by Bethesda and shouldn't be patched.

@DeathbyDestiny: Heimskr is preaching in every conceivable way we can test it. I have no idea why that would have changed, but nothing appears to be wrong with him regardless. If you've got a save we can look at, that would be helpful.

Problem I see with any potential fix is that unless the person is lurking the correct locations they won't know about it until it is already released.  By then it is too late.  And at that point the only time anything gets removed/reverted is if it is proven later that the change broke some other part of the stock game.

Simple solution is if a mod author really needs the original stock values is to override the USKP/USLEEP patches and state that it is intentional so that users don't go on about being incompatible with the USKP/USLEEP.

I have seen this reported on nexus but I have just come across it too on a new game.

Heimskr is refusing to preach. I check the patch notes and saw this had been fixed and the issues appeared sometime in the evening hours. However this is in the middle of the day.

DialogueWhiterunHeimskrPreachScene does not allow reserved on Heimskr's alias, so if Heimskr is chosen for a Companions' radiant quest at game start, he won't preach until said quest is completed.

Check dialogue ordering; the RelationshipMarriageWedding dialogues got their order changed by the merge and it might've happened elsewhere, too.

DialogueWhiterunHeimskrPreachScene does not allow reserved on Heimskr's alias, so if Heimskr is chosen for a Companions' radiant quest at game start, he won't preach until said quest is completed.

Check dialogue ordering; the RelationshipMarriageWedding dialogues got their order changed by the merge and it might've happened elsewhere, too.

Ahh that must be what happened then. I started over and he's preaching again.

Shadowblade, your approach to all of this frankly sucks. You are ranting on about opinion, yet you're interjecting your OPINION into the argument as though it were fact. The bug report had sound logic, explained its reasoning,

It had subjective, ill-informed and flawed logic. It did, however, suggest that AlchDamageMagickaRate "Damage Magicka Regen" be replaced with a new FoodDamageMagickaRate "Damage Magicka Regen", which would have been infinitely preferable in my view.

In any event, I did not rant at all, I just outlined some incontestable logic and reason, which I understand can be uncomfortable for some people to deal with. And yet you ignored my question, so I will repeat it here:

So what about:

Argonian Bloodwine, Resist Poison, 40 pts for 50 secs, Waterbreathing, for 50 secs

Or were they already rendered bland and indistinct? I have not checked yet.

Some beverages are flagged as potions with ALCH effects because some of them actually ARE potions and have special effects.

You have not fixed a bug or merely added a vendor item keyword; you have changed the special effect of a unique, regional, rice wine beverage. That is a poor and subjective design decision.

just objections based on seeing too much red for your liking.

More Straw Man Red Herrings. The amount of red is irrelevant, as well you know. My Alchemy mod is irrelevant, as well you know. The only reason I mention it at all, as well you know, is because making that mod is the only reason I noticed what you had done. I also noticed that Realistic Needs and Diseases did not use any Unofficial DLC Patches as masters, just USKP, so in future I won't bother, either. Despite the excellent and essential work the project has done over the years, I don't want subjective design decisions masquerading as bug fixes, particularly when they remove special properties from special, regional items.

Had I been aware of this suggestion, I'd have raised the objections I have made above. But this week is not the only time the bug tracker has been malfunctioning, and I have not devoted as much attention to it as perhaps I should have.

You did fix the missing navmesh outside a Dwemer tower in the frozen wastes I reported. Followers could not follow me in, so ran down the valley and in through the back door. I could hear them fighting their way towards me as I cleared the first room of constructs on my own! That was a lot of fun, but it was a pain that they could not follow me out over the snow pile covering the missing navmesh.

I also reported some actual, real inconsistencies with some potions: I forget the details, possibly Lingering Damage, as some increased the duration (as in "Lingering") as well as base damage whereas others did not increase duration at all, so were more like Ravage than Lingering Damage. I don't know if they ever got fixed, but I'll take a look when the tracker is working again.

So I'll just fall back on what we usually have to say about this: If we removed every fix at least one person doesn't like for some reason, we'd have no patch left. No, I'm quite serious, we've had folks try to push serious arguments that even broken quests are intentionally broken by Bethesda and shouldn't be patched.

Well, that is just retarded. I would give such nonsense short shrift or probably no shrift at all. But it is a kind of desperate clutching at straws to compare my objections to people wanting broken quests to remain in the game. I am not even asking you to change it back, although that would be a good thing. I do not even have to do that myself as my mod does not depend on the UDBP. I was just surprised that such a thing got into the patch as a "fix" for something that was not broken, and it makes me more wary of using USLEEP. From the download page, the posted images suggest it has fixed some minor graphical issues which I have never noticed anyway. But then, I had months of thousands of Papyrus errors to do with weapons rack scripts whereas only one of my characters ever joined the Companions, and none of them gave a monkey's about weapon display racks. Obviously, someone cared about it, as a lot of time was spent trying to fix something that was actually broken, even if it did not matter to me at all.

But as I say, what about:

Have these been changed because they are "inconsistent" with any old, cheap-ass Nord Ale?

But all this has given me an idea to make all the uniquely Dunmer brews do something similar to what they did in Morrowind, so it's not a total loss.

:D

Problem I see with any potential fix is that unless the person is lurking the correct locations they won't know about it until it is already released.  By then it is too late.  And at that point the only time anything gets removed/reverted is if it is proven later that the change broke some other part of the stock game.

Yes, that is a very good point.

Simple solution is if a mod author really needs the original stock values is to override the USKP/USLEEP patches and state that it is intentional so that users don't go on about being incompatible with the USKP/USLEEP.

Yes, there are an awful lot of misconceptions and FUD in the less technical portions of the general Skyrim community about what constitutes broken, unstable or "dangerous". I can easily copy the vendor item keywords in.

There is always a beta period, which lasts several weeks, before any Unofficial patch release. During this period, the beta is announced in every forum by Arthmoor, along with the changelog. So if someone doesn't like a fix for any reason, he has several weeks before the release to expose his arguments.

I hope this is the right place for this, if not, Im sorry could you link me the right place then.

I installed USLEEP and only had 2 mods I had to change the masters name, RS children compatibility and.. RBB snow something.. anyways I noticed a few things in papyrus, and I am sure where they are and how to get rid of them, surprised Loot didnt see them, but I did use Skyrim Mod combiner so maybe they are there somewhere. 

[11/30/2015 - 04:40:30PM] Error: File "Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
<unknown self>.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "<native>" Line ?
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 20
[alias Player on quest USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingAliasScript.OnPlayerLoadGame() - "usleep_versiontrackingaliasscript.psc" Line 6
[11/30/2015 - 04:40:30PM] Error: File "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 24
[alias Player on quest USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingAliasScript.OnPlayerLoadGame() - "usleep_versiontrackingaliasscript.psc" Line 6
[11/30/2015 - 04:40:30PM] Error: File "Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 28
[11/30/2015 - 04:40:30PM] Error: File "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 32

thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work!

Hi Lord_Ant, welcome to AFK. :)

Those are perfectly normal messages. It's the tracking code to ensure the old patches are not still installed. Nothing to worry about.

Hi Lord_Ant, welcome to AFK. :)

Those are perfectly normal messages. It's the tracking code to ensure the old patches are not still installed. Nothing to worry about.

awesome, thanks! 

And thanks for the quick reply. 

Hi, I don't know if I'm asking this in the right place but I just wanted to know: I recently reinstalled everything and forgot to install SKSE before the legendary edition patch + the high res patch. Those are the only mods I have installed now, and probably will be for a little bit. First question, do they require or in any way benefit from SKSE? And if they do, is it in any way harmful to install SKSE after the patches? I'll be starting a new game anyway so that doesn't matter. Thanks.

The patches don't depend on SKSE so you should be fine installing that whenever, so long as something else in your game doesn't need it to be a certain way.

The patches don't depend on SKSE so you should be fine installing that whenever, so long as something else in your game doesn't need it to be a certain way.

Okay, thank you. Seemed I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere else.