Creation Kit keeps locking up / weird issues

DSoS

As the title says, I'm having issues with the CK. It worked a couple of months ago with no issues. 

The CK, after placing some items, moving them around, or opening tool bar menus the CK locks up and I can't do anything but exit out to reload. This happens every time.

I've deleted the Skyrim Pref and CK INI files, validated files through Steam and started Skyrim through the official launcher and CK through steam, to rebuild the INI files. The same thing happens.

I've tried loading 3 of my mods AND starting a blank plugin, same thing.

Nothing with the Skyrim/CK install was changed.

The only hardware change was the video card. But that shouldn't matter since I deleted the INI files to be rebuilt/re-downloaded through Steam validation.

I've closed unnecessary programs, I've got plenty of CPU and RAM, etc., no hardware is overheating

I'm out of ideas.... so any idea what might be happening?

Thanks

DSoS

It occasionally happens to me, too, but only after a huge number of modifications. I don't have a precise count in mind, but let's say... more than 100 modifications ?

Does it crash in the render window? Does it produce any log? How do the mods look in Xedit?

The entire CK just freezes and eventually crashes. Nothing in logs.

It does this even when starting a new mod, with just skyrim.esm selected.

It occasionally happens to me, too, but only after a huge number of modifications. I don't have a precise count in mind, but let's say... more than 100 modifications ?

Just my own 4 or 5 mods and LAL for fast startup, nothing else.

-----

It worked just fine a couple months ago and it's been sitting around waiting on me since. Paths haven't changed or anything.

The only thing that I can think of is to check the loaded mods with Xedit. Go through all the records & check for duplicates, ghosts or bodgies with a fine toothed comb. Back up any changes made. Even navmeshes can be problematic.

It does this when starting a new mod/plugin, as stated 2 times already... It's going nothing to do with mods at all.

Bit of a long shot, but try this:

In SkyrimEditor.ini, add bEnableAudio=0 to the Audio section.

There are posts scattered about that suggest this will solve CTDs, so maybe it will also solve random hangs too.

Just be aware that if you use the CK to listen to voice samples, those will be disabled as well.

Sorry DSoS missed that. Try turning all animations and lights, especially wind and grass.

Does the game itself work okay?

Someone stated in an older thread:

The PC version of Skyrim will use a DX 11 renderer provided you have a dX 10 or DX 11 GPU and Windows Vista/Windows 7.

I take it your GPU is DX9 compliant which is fine for Skyrim. Maybe a recent aggressive GPU driver update broke something in DX ver?

I don't know who posted that about DX11, but Skyrim and the CK do not use anything from DX11. They are both very firmly DX9 programs.

Yes, I think what he wanted to say was running DX9 calls through DX11- it's backwards compatible, and there's only one version of it on a machine.

While they technically are backward compatible that way, Steam will install the actual DX9 libraries along with the game when it's installed. So you have real DX9 even on versions of Windows that don't come with it, like anything from Vista onward. All game installers I've ever seen do the same, along with installing various versions of the Visual C++ Runtimes.

okay, the bEnableAudio=0 did NOT work.

I did change to the new video card, but that shouldn't affect anything, right?

All drivers are updated.

Skyrim itself runs just fine with 117 mods and ultra-graphics.

Turned off various settings in the CK, still freezes up, even when exiting the CK (normal clicking X) it locks up. :shrug:

No ENB in the modding install, as stated before, only my mods and LAL.

Does the CK read use all the values off renderinfo.txt I wonder?

Does it make any difference not running the CK through SKSE?

Edit: Or without the Extender?

@DSoS

- verified installations of Skyrym and CK via Steam

- Delete/backup SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini in Skyrim installation folder if there to be generate new again.

- Add or change in SkyrimEditor.ini

[General]
bAllowMultipleEditors=1
bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1
[Archive]
SInvalidationFile=
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, HearthFires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa

Start CK.

EDIT

If you have verified installations of Skyrym and CK via Steam, you add the entries to the INI and still have CTD is most likely you have something wrong with Windows.

For sure if you are using Windows 10. :troll:

One last resort thing. Have you actually completely uninstalled the CK, rebooted, and then had Steam download a new install of it?

Validating the Steam cache with the CK does not always resolve something that went wrong.

Just make sure you back up any scripts and mods you've edited before you let it try to uninstall itself.

Oops- the CK Extender is still WIP (and in stasis?)

Here's another whole heap of stuff:

Does the crash happen more in exteriors than interiors?

Do you use customized 3d program settings in your GPU Control Panel for the CK?

Use a "native" resolution in windows? Typically 1080p- I run mine on 720p which is less (than native).

Update mouse driver?

Use any "TSR styled" programs like Geforce Experience or Raptr? Sometimes they can interfere.

Set priorities and affinities for the CK through Task Manager or get a program like Process Hacker or Prio. I use Process Lasso and configure it as a "Game Process"

Check usage: services and other interrupt driven programs e.g. real time virus scanners.

There's good ole' AppCompat.. Two problems with that: knowing which of the myriad of settings to choose, and won't work if the CK is launched from Steam.

Dunno if anyone here uses CK Fixes. It might help?

Cleaned Update.esm with Tes5edit?

And regarding this observation from someone at DC:

"Wait like 5 mins after you clicked on the cell to load, until the area around that cell is loaded. If you start moving before the cell is loaded, creation kit usually will crash. At least that is my experience."

An SSD might reduce the wait. Or setting up a RAM Disk (we can only hope) similar to the one Alenet has coded for Oblivion Reloaded.

Adding to Insane Plumber, if running Windows 10 you are not alone with this problem but check this answer out. Explore the compatibility options, (and post back the results please).

I'll try what Arth mentioned and see how it goes.... I'm just not looking forward to moving files again :peer: But I guess this does give me the opportunity to remove all other old/unknown version of backed up mods on mine :X

@ InsanePlumber

I've already tried all of those.

@ lmstearn

Both exterior and interior

no, but one is loaded

I run Windows 7, I will NEVER use Windows 10 for my main system.

1080p x 3 monitors (been like this for 4 or 5 years)

mouse drivers are the same as they always have been

I have Geforce Experience, have had this for a year or two now... Disabled it and still crashes... I'll actually uninstall this since I really don't use it and just annoying to see on the notifications bar

I don't mess with X-Hackers at all... most are too iffy

No issue with Win7 services.

Never heard of AppCompat...

Never heard of the modder for CK Fixes.

All vanilla plugins are cleaned

My PC has more than enough hardware for me to know it's not the problem... I've had the same CPU and RAM for 8 years now, only GPU has been upgraded.

I don't install games/game programs on the C drive, they have their own dedicated 7200rpm 2TB drive, never had an issue with it.... But doesn't matter if something else is wrong, hardware/software integration can be a finicky thing

3.33GHz i7 980 Quad-Core CPU

24GB Ram

EVGA 970 SC GPU

1200w PSU

Raid0 2x SSD for OS drive

a few 2TB drives for storage

After much more testing, from reinstalling the CK completely, to using a fresh install of Skyrim and the CK. It still freezes up... however, Oblivions CS does not... so it's localized to the CK itself.

I'm not sure anymore. I'm just going to stop modding for now.

my current mods, I'll keep, but I might turn one of them into a stand-alone game if I can learn UE4 :)

Thank You everyone for the help.

Sorry to hear that DSoS, suggest a ticket should be filed with Steam for it,- it's a long shot, but, who knows, they might actually have someone on board than can point to a solution. :)

• 1 month later...

:woot:  :celebration:  :frantics:   :teehee:  :beer:    IT WORKS IT WORKS ONCE AGAIN IT WORKS!!! Only took a reinstall of Windows 7 to do so... now the question is, will I go back to modding after a 6 month break? :X

Heh, good deal. I figured an OS reinstall would fix it. Likely garbage left over from those hardware upgrades you did :P

yeah, that's what I was thinking too, since I found that left over bit in that program that I showed last night :X

Anyway, computers appears to be running smoothly. Steam gave me some issues, but I think I got it worked out. Had to revert back to a completely vanilla Skyrim install for me to do anything oh well :X

Thanks for the help again :)