Markarth thane quest setting itself to stage 200

Opalescentnanomachines

think I might have figured out what mod is causing it, but I'll have to play for a while (and possibly begin a new playthrough) to see if it recurs. Looks like I'm already using that exact save cleaner!

I've got another mod to test out as well; other than the UPs and the official DLCs, there are only the two mods that reference that quest.

Frustration aside, I honestly do appreciate you all taking the time to engage me and try to help. I'm sorry I flailed. You've at least given me a direction to go in.

To Have and To Hold (marriage mod) and Guard Dialogue Overhaul. There's a mention on the main page of GDO that makes me suspicious it's that one -- something about becoming thane before you earn it, although the desc claims it's a vanilla bug.

Glad to hear you may have narrowed it down and happy to offer any help we can, that's why we're here. :)

Have a :bigcookie:

Restarted a brand-new playthrough with Guard Dialogue Overhaul uninstalled. Problem recurred. Restarted again with THaTH uninstalled and will see. If it's not that one, either, I'm not sure what else to look at; nothing else shows up in TES5Edit as referencing favor250. Hmmmm, maybe I should check on favor157 as well?

I'd take a look at what this mod is doing with the radiant quest system. Murmurs about conflicts with the USKP on the talk page.

I see the author of that mod is in the camp of "the USKP breaks stuff". Ironic, given it's probably his own mod that broke this particular issue.

Thanks! I'll try uninstalling that one. I'm having a new infuriating bug in Falkreath so I'm going to hope it's that for both.

Edit: Well, uninstalling it at least didn't fix my Falkreath issue in an immediate sense; I haven't been to Markarth in this playthrough yet. I reduced my mod list to many fewer before beginning, and the Increased Bounty mod is so far the only thing I've uninstalled or installed since starting it. Ran the save through a cleaner. Will see if Markarth is fixed, at least, and maybe Falkreath will un-bug itself after I've been away from the city for a while.

(Falkreath issue is, btw: Jarl, steward, and both other longhouse residents are all standing in the map room. None give dialogue options, but instead offer stock responses. They stay there day and night and never seem to reset where they are. Quest marker over the Jarl (courtesy of his having sent me the letter when I reached level 10) is still there but cannot be completed. I cleared my quest log of all favor quests and bounty quests and checked back; same thing. Issue has happened to at least a couple of other players before, according to Google searching, re: these links. Going back to a save from before I ever went to Falkreath didn't help.)

• 2 weeks later...

It was not the guard dialogue overhaul mod, nor either the marriage mod or the increased rewards mod. A clean playthrough with all three uninstalled (including a clean install of the whole game) did not fix the problem; it recurred. Although a bit at a loss now, I'm going to continue to try uninstalling mods (particularly script-heavy ones) and see whether, on next playthrough, the issue is gone. I did experience a reduction of errors in other areas, specifically Falkreath, Dawnstar, and Winterhold, where I'd had errors during thaneship quests before as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Do you still have the problem? I had the same issue without mods... for me it seemed like a timed thing. I managed fix it since I had a save that was directly before I took the quest to retrieve the shield (favor157). Here's how I solved it:

1. Took the quest

2. typed in the console: coc lostvalleyredoubt01 (I don't know if you get lost valley redoubt as the place with the shield every time, so I basically wrote: coc [the name of a cell close to the shield]

3. Wrote in the console: tgm

4. Wrote in the console: tcl

5. I ran up as fast as I could to the chest and got the shield.

6. Wrote in the console: coc markarthunderstonekeep

7. I ran up to the Jarl completed the quest and then I had the dialogue to become thane.

I did check the stage every so often and I also had to retry it some times.

*Note that I'm really good in forgetting, so the cell names could be wrong, you can just search the names in the console if you need.