GPU's are dying/dead

DSoS

Well, if you remember a few weeks ago, my main video card started going out, BSOD'ing the system. I was able to revive it by baking it in the oven for 10 minutes @ 325F...

It worked for a week or two and tonight it died again.

To make matters worse, my second video is now BSOD'ing my system.

YEAH! What freaking amazing luck I have right now :peer:

So I decided to just put another nail in my foot (or coffin for my credit) and bought a new video card. It isn't the latest 980 or whatever, but it is a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB

Supposedly this can handle 3 monitors on the same card, so that saves me from needing two of them.

to do that, I apparently need to run one monitor plugged into the Display Port, well I don't have a monitor that has DP output, so I got an HDMI to DP adapter.

And to get these 3 monitors lined up properly, I ordered a 3 monitor desk mount

Overall, the total price wasn't too bad, but it does kill me getting the AC for my car... I suppose I've dealt with the heat for the past 2 years without AC, another year or two won't hurt I suppose.

I'll have it all by Thursday.

Kind of sad to see these video cards go away, but I guess they are ready for the junk pile... they led a good long hard life of extreme graphics of Crisis 3 on Max, and Skyrim with ENB and every other game that I played on Max settings. Farewell beloved video cards. You will be missed, for a short time ;)

I was able to revive it by baking it in the oven for 10 minutes @ 325F...

I thought that was a joke when it was mentioned in chat. Never heard of doing that before. :D

Anyway, good to hear you're able to get a new card.

I thought that was a joke when it was mentioned in chat. Never heard of doing that before. :D

Anyway, good to hear you're able to get a new card.

heh, no joke ;)

Tis the season for upgrades I guess. Good that you were able to swing it. You've had more than your share of problems with those old cards.

Tis the season for upgrades I guess. Good that you were able to swing it. You've had more than your share of problems with those old cards.

Yes lucky that I could put the $450 on the credit card :unsure:

The cards have been quite good to me. As I said, they've been abused to beyond what they were made for. I can't be mad at them. In fact, I'm going to mount them in a display case and display the poor things :X

Got the new video card and adapter in today. Got it installed and I'm currently watching YouTube on it instead of testing it out in games :rofl:

The monitor mount, although it was for up to 24" monitors, my monitors are over-sized 24" ... they are 24" viewable, with about 1.25" on each corner, so they are ~26.25" diagonal... so the monitors overlapped and it looked bad. So I sent the mount back and waiting for the 28" monitor mount to get here Monday. It was a little more expensive, but with the $21 refund on the video card it came out to about the same price :)

Once I get all of it setup, I'll post pictures :D