[RELz] Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch [USIP]

Arthmoor

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch

By Quarn, Kivan, Arthmoor, and PrinceShroob

This mod is a joint effort to fix the vast amount of bugs currently existing in the Shivering Isles expansion pack for Oblivion v1.2.0416, fixing over 300 bugs so far! If you're experiencing a bug with Oblivion with or without Shivering Isles and it's not fixed by our mod please by all means report the bug to us in as much detail as possible so we can try to fix it! Also if you find any: levitating trees or rocks, see-through or fall-through walls/objects or other stuff out of place, please let either of us know. To get the exact location, use the console commands sdt 0 and then tdt please note the Cell (not PC Cell) and Pos values and indicate what's out of place. You can use tdt again to toggle the debug display off. Thank you and we hope you have a better Oblivion experience!

Downloads

AFK Mods
Nexus Mods

Warning: Only use the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch with the version of Oblivion it was created for! Using it on an older or newer version than v1.2.0416 of Oblivion may cause bugs or things not to be fixed that were advertised as such!

v1.6.1 (2024-01-03)

USIP Fixes

• Bash tags have been updated. (Bug #32593)

Item Fixes

• Ushnar gro-Shadborgob's food cupboard, which contains the dog food, would infinitely respawn dog food in it for no reason. The container itself should simply have been set to respawn with a dog food count of 1 since it is otherwise a normal container and there are no quest references expecting the contents to be unique. [SE43Cupboard01Food] (Bug #32665)

Mesh & Texture Fixes

• If a Shambles is knocked down, the animation played when they get back up will crash the game due to an invalid animation name in the keyframe file. [Meshes\Creatures\Shambles\IdleAnims\getupfacedown.kf] (Bug #32004)

Text and Subtitle Fixes

• SEUrulgroAgamphDementiaKey: "Urul groAgamph's Key" -> "Urul gro-Agamph's Key" (missing the hyphen) (Bug #32062)
  • SEUrulgroAgamphManiaKey: "Urul groAgamph's Key" -> "Urul gro-Agamph's Key" (missing the hyphen) (Bug #32062)
  • SEUsharGroShadborbobKey: "Ushnar groShadborgob's Key" -> "Ushnar gro-Shadborgob's Key" (missing the hyphen) (Bug #32062)
  • SETombstoneHirrusClutumnus: "Hirrus Clutumnus's Tombstone" -> "Hirrus Clutumnus' Tombstone" (Bug #32574)
  • SENSUshnargraShadborgobHouse: "Ushnar gro- Shadborgob's House" -> "Ushnar gro-Shadborgob's House" (Bug #32594)
  • SE38MuseumItem3, SE38Item3: "Sheogorath- Shaped Amber" -> "Sheogorath-Shaped Amber" (Bug #32784)
  • Trailing spaces were removed from the quest stage logs of 8 quests. (Bug #32946)
  • Several minor text fixes applied (extra spaces etc) (Bug #33057)
  • Load screen SESettlement03: "farmers.Their" -> "farmers. Their" (Bug #33041)
  • SE30->SEForgedAmberMace->0001F3E9: "win an argument," - the comma should be outside the quotation marks. (Bug #33041)
  • SE30->SEForgeArrowsMagic->00016CE3: "It is a satisfying sound" -> "It's a satisfying sound" [Subtitle mismatch] (Bug #33041)

The previous version history can be found here as it is too large to put in one post.

• 5 months later...

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Question: Do I still need the Unofficial Oblivion Patch?
Answer: Yes, the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch only fixes things added by the Shivering Isles expansion, and requires the Unofficial Oblivion Patch as a master.

Q: Will this conflict with OOO/MMM/Fran's/FCOM etc.? Is it alright to use together?
A: Yes the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch does conflict but nothing that is known to cause problems, other than not receiving some of the advertised fixes from USIP; always load USIP before any other mod and you'll be fine. If you're using Fran's (MOBS or non-MOBS) a Fran's version of the USIP is available here. If you're using FCOM also install the "Frans Optional Leveled Quests-SI Only.esp" available from the same location. There's also an FCOM-only version there without the Fran's Amber/Madness overhaul.

Q: I see so many red conflicts with the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch and other mods!!! Will my game explode?!?
A: Nope! The file date of Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp was set so it will load first, then your other plugins; in other words if something conflicts with USIP, that plugin will override USIP's changes. Note: since USIP's changes are overridden some fixes might not work.

Q: Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp shows conflicts with Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp! How come?
A:There are a few scripts that the UOP fixes that needed even more updating when Shivering Isles came along. For example, the UOP fixes a bug with the scripting for the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal, but Shivering Isles added another bug to it because of the split between normal and Shivering Isles bounties, so the same script needs to be in both. As long as Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp loads before Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp there should be no problems; any required fixes from the UOP will be in the USIP if they would be overridden.

Q: Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp is loading before Oblivion.esm!!! Won't my game get screwed up?
A: No, Oblivion loads ESM files (like Oblivion.esm) from oldest to newest first before loading ESP files (like Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp) from oldest to newest.

Q: Will I have to start a new game for the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch to work?
A: Nope, the fixes were made to work on both new and existing games through some very minor changes (position of some objects) will only work in a new game or if you haven't visited that area in the game yet; really not worth restarting over.

Q: I don't want to/can't install the latest official patch... can I still use the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch?
A: No, unfortunately doing so will introduce further issues into your game. You reall do need to update to the latest official patch in order to get a stable experience with the USIP - or any other mod made after the last patch was released.

Q: Can I use the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch with the German version of Oblivion or other languages?
A: It should work fine, but we can't test it; also some things will appear in English instead of your game's language.

Q: Do I need to use previous versions of the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch to get all the fixes?
A: Nope, latest version includes all previous fixes.

Q: So I've installed the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch but it still shows as v1.2.0416 in Oblivion, what's wrong?
A: Nothing is wrong! The Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch is a collection of fixes in the form of a ESP along with fixes in other files (NIF etc.), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch does not touch ANY Oblivion files on a default installation. If you want to see what version of the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch you are running, then open up the Oblivion Launcher, click Data Files, and then find and click the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp.

Q: The reference ID bug (FBomb) was fixed in Oblivion v1.2.0416... so why don't you remove your fix for it then? I don't like useless clutter!
A: Even though the game was improved so reference ID's can be reused again it didn't actually fix the real BUG and that was a strange interaction between AI packages and scripts controlling the AI packages. Even with Oblivion v1.2.0416 those few guard scripts are still bugged and generating thousands of reference ID's every few seconds (won't cause the game to behave strangely like before though) draining CPU power for a pointless activity; the fix will remain in the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch until Bethesda actually fixes it.

Q: I'm getting NO GREETING when I talk to NPC's, what's wrong?
A: The majority of the time this is caused by using mods or console commands that move you between Tamriel and Shivering Isles like Mark and Recall etc.; simply use the official gateway to the Shivering Isles and this will stop the problem from occurring and also correct it if you are already afflicted with it. Note: Some NPC's in Shivering Isles aren't meant to be talked to and thus when talked to you get NO GREETING, we've already fixed quite a few of these; if you happen to find any more please let us know.

Q: My game crashes when attacking Sheogorath; not meant to crash is it??
A: While quite humorous it isn't meant to crash; User Interface (UI) mods have been known to cause this problem, either remove them or upgrade them to a version that supports Shivering Isles.

• 6 months later...

Version 1.5.9 of the USIP has been released. First post has the details.

• 1 year later...

Continuing with my Bash Tag suggestions from the UODP thread, here are some for USIP.

These aren't as essential as the Knights one, since these deal with conflicts, and that one was necessary even with no other conflicting mods loaded. Regardless, I think these Tags are more likely to help than hurt.

I've checked against a few popular mods, and these are the Tags I'd recommend:

• Add Actors.Skeleton to preserve changes from beast to regular skeleton for Dumag gro-Bonk (conflicts with Oblivion Uncut), and a few other NPCs (didn't notice conflicts with these yet, but there might be some, even if there are few mods altering SI). Corresponds to the change log entry "Corrected four NPC's (Dulphumph gro-Urgash, Dumag gro-Bonk, Erver Devani and Una Armina) using the wrong skeleton mesh (SkeletonBeast.NIF instead of Skeleton.NIF); did not cause any known problems but may as well fix it so that future clothing/armor replacer mods don't cause them to grow a tail".
  • Add Actors.Spells to preserve changes to Mended Flesh Atronach spells (conflicts with Cobl Tweaks - SI, which adds new death items). I can't find this particular change in the log, but it seems like you've changed the two kinds of level 5 Flesh Atronachs to use the level 5 spells specifically created for them, which previously went unused. Maybe while you changed the summoned versions to remove the No Low Level Processing flag, although I can't find that in the change log either... Anyway, this isn't a huge deal, since the level 5 Atronachs are rare—the Boss version seems to only be used in one location, and one of the spells is even identical between the level 4 and 5 versions—but a bug is a bug, and the fix should be preserved. :-)
  • Add C.Music to preserve changes to music in several locations (conflicts with Cobl SI, which places objects in these cells). Corresponds to the lines "Correct the music in Bliss, Crucible, the Palace District, Mania Garden and Dementia Garden, now set to public (town) and not default (wilderness)." and "Corrected several houses across the Isles and the Mania and Dementia gardens using the “default” music type rather than the correct “public” music type." in the change log.

There are probably more that could be useful, but I've only just returned to the game, so my load order is still small, and these are the ones I've found so far.

Toodles for now. I'll probably be back with a few suggestions for the UOP as well.

• 2 years later...

two guys having this problem over at Nexus

This mod is looking for DLCShiveringIsles\.esp, quite the typo if you ask me. How do I fix that?

Its is spelled correctly in the list of master files, so I am guessing they are having a mod manger problem.  Maybe misspelled in an install script or an incompatible mod manager?

Hi Lefty! :) Never came across anything like that. Could be a mangy :yuck: mod mgr issue, or script- are they using something like Wabbajack?

they have not yet answered my question about what mod manager tools they are using.

I also directed them to here, but they have not shown up here yet.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, Lefty Scaevola said:

two guys having this problem over at Nexus

Its is spelled correctly in the list of master files, so I am guessing they are having a mod manger problem.  Maybe misspelled in an install script or an incompatible mod manager?

That shouldn't even be in the SI patch - my version is not mastered to DLCShiveringIsles.esp as that esp exists solely to load the BSA.

A quick check shows that the 159a version on Nexus does include it as a master, but it's correctly spelled. Version 159 did NOT include it as a master.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

FYI:

Some time ago I stumbled into taking a long hard look at SCPT TGGrayCowlScript after wondering about the purpose of GLOB UOPGrayCowlEquipped in UOP, as it is not referenced anywhere apart from this script and the one that initially sets its value when UOP is first loaded.

The secret apparently is in the script's GameMode section, which seems to fix any eventuality of the cowl becoming unequipped without triggering the OnUnequip section, and it presumably must relate to this line in the version history: "Casting Bound Helmet while wearing the Cowl of Nocturnal will no longer permanently affix the changes to Fame, Infamy and Bounty to the player."

Examining a bit further, it seems that the USIP version of the script similarly maintains the value of GLOB USIPGrayCowlEquipped, but apparently for no useful purpose, as it is missing the corresponding GameMode scripting.

Thus, although not actually having tested it, I strongly suspect that USIP nullifies the above fix made by UOP.

Edit: Besides, there does not seem to be any mechanism to properly initialize GLOB USIPGrayCowlEquipped in USIP.

Edit 2: On second thought, it may be possible that without the GameMode scripting the nullification is partial or temporary and gets fixed by cycling the cowl on and off. But I haven't given that much thought, nor attempted to think through how SEWorld might impact the fix.

Final Edit:

Yes indeed, it would seem that two things need to be done to this script in the USIP:

1. Copy and include the GameMode scripting from the UOP version, while adding a similar SEWorld condition as there is in the OnUnequip section.

2. Add a QUST/SCPT mechanism similar to what already is in the UOP to properly initialize the global in case USIP happens to be installed while wearing the cowl.

I did redo these scripts for myself, but due to being optimized for hopefully some speed and efficiency, they deviate so much from the UOP/USIP approach of minimal intervention, that there is little point in even trying to push them, especially as the essential changes mentioned above are very straightforward.

And speaking of interventions, it probably is high time for me to cease and desist with these unsolicited interventions of mine.

Oh, hold on a minute, I spoke too soon and just have to bring this one up: There is yet another, absolutely silly little scripting bug that manifests itself only under very special conditions. Once you enter and exit SEWorld while wearing the Grey Fox's cowl on both occasions, the game is no longer able to accommodate for the net effect in Cyrodiil of equipping or unequipping the cowl during further visits to SEWorld. It is easy to fix and shouldn't be too difficult to spot.

• 1 month later...

The most straightforward fix to the above issue would be to replace 'If Player.GetEquipped TGGrayFoxCowl == 1 Set SECrime.EnteredSECowlOn to 1' with 'Set SECrime.EnteredSECowlOn to Player.GetEquipped TGGrayFoxCowl' in SEDoorToShiveringIslesScript, and to do likewise with SECrime.LeftSECowlOn in SE01WaitingDoorScript.

However, these scripts are not currently touched by USIP, and if one wants to avoid touching them, one can alternatively implement a fix in TGGrayCowlScript, which needs to be touched anyway, and already is: Modify how SECrime.EnteredSECowlOn and SECrime.LeftSECowlOn get tested in GameMode so that they are always reset to 0, even if both happened to be 1.

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry, just wanted to acknowledge this. We're gradually grinding through images but Skyrim SE keeps getting updated and demanding the team's attention!

• 8 months later...

Just FYI, in case you might be interested:

SENelreneScript in the USIP contains the line 'if USIP >= 0'. This passes through the Construction Set compiler but seems nonsensical, as USIP is not a numerical value but a quest ("USIP Menu"). To what extent the functioning of the script might deviate from what is intended is difficult to judge without taking a really close look at it.

It's been an age or longer since our last release :P

USIP 1.6.1 is now available. Details are in the first post.