[RELz] Unofficial Oblivion Patch [UOP]

Arthmoor

Can the OBSE plugins that ship with the UOP be used without the patch?  I mean is there some code in the plugins that check for the patch?  I know I could easily launch Oblivion and find out, but I prefer to ask to make sure that all bases are covered.

Cool, thanks.  I've never written an OBSE plugin, so don't know anything about them being tied to a plugin.  I'm assuming you can, so didn't know if the UOP ones required the patch.

I'm sure you probably could but the dll would need to be doing something a .esp file can reference and I'm pretty sure both of these dlls are only patching engine functions that aren't accessible to begin with.

Arthmoor, you may want to take a look at a new mod that just popped up on Nexusmods. It's called The Unofficial Oblivion Patch Draw Call Fix (51391). Apparently there are some draw calls in the UOP that the modder found that cause FPS drops in certain areas.

That doesn't even make sense. "Draw calls" are an engine level thing that has nothing to do with mods unless the mod is dumping huge amounts of graphical data to the game, which the UOP does not do.

And in looking at the mod in question, it's basically using PyFFI on the meshes. We already did that, therefore this "fix" actually does nothing at all for the UOP. Plus it was well known back in the day that running a second optimization pass on meshes using PyFFI is NOT recommended.

Actually, I think this might be legit.

The issue seems to be with some meshes with disconnected parts that we strippified. In the example posted the mesh is the wood frame for the house which is all one mesh (good) but because it's made of lots of disconnected parts it can't be one continuous strip (bad) because there are lots of verts that don't connect to other verts. PyFFi probably stripifies everything, or it was exported from Blender which indiscriminately stripiffies if you ask it to.

This is a case of "knowledge you don't know". The prevailing wisdom when those meshes were made was "stripiffy everything you can without really worrying about how many strips that created. If creating multiple strips increases the number of draw calls then that could explain some reports we've had of the patch causing slowdown.

So what would you propose we do about it in this case? It's not recommended to hit them again with PyFFI, because that was known to cause problems with double optimization.

I don't think it's a practical thing to go back and refix every mesh either since there's a lot of them that were done before we took over stewardship of the UOP.

If what this author has done is gone through all the UOP meshes and simply converted strips back to shapes then we just need to check his work, rather than redo it. If, as suggested, the unoptimized meshes are halving FPS then that needs fixing.

So I've done some testing of my own on "ICPalaceCouncilRoom01.NIF". The niff is indeed composed of TriStrips containing many individual strips, in some cases 45 strips for 90 faces. Given that the entire point of strippification is to turn the shape into one continuous strips this can't be good.

Manually stitching the strips in NifSkope caused the game to crash on attempting to load the cell. Taking the corrupted mesh and converting the strips back into shapes with Nifskope fixed the problem.

In the course of my investigations I also discovered that the UOP is missing several meshes for the Imperial Palace that should have been in the last update along with "ICPalaceCouncilRoom01.NIF".

Can you look at the mesh located at "Meshes\Clutter\Farm\HandScythe01.NIF" ? Message Logger warns me about it often and I sometimes get crashes and its the last thing in the log file. I asked Pherim to look at it and he said it has a rare collision and it needs a new collider. He was only able to open it in NifSkope 2.0. The new Oblivion Reloaded 9.0.1 now has Occlusion Culling and it might be whats making the crash when the mesh is nearby. The exact wraning MessageLogger gives is "[008A5B6F] [WARNING]   .\bhkRigidBody.cpp:538: Warning : File Meshes\Clutter\Farm\HandScythe01.NIF contains an old bhkRigidBody! Please re-export".

3 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

Can you look at the mesh located at "Meshes\Clutter\Farm\HandScythe01.NIF" ? Message Logger warns me about it often and I sometimes get crashes and its the last thing in the log file. I asked Pherim to look at it and he said it has a rare collision and it needs a new collider. He was only able to open it in NifSkope 2.0. The new Oblivion Reloaded 9.0.1 now has Occlusion Culling and it might be whats making the crash when the mesh is nearby. The exact wraning MessageLogger gives is "[008A5B6F] [WARNING]   .\bhkRigidBody.cpp:538: Warning : File Meshes\Clutter\Farm\HandScythe01.NIF contains an old bhkRigidBody! Please re-export".

I can take a look.

So it looks like the collision is composed of bhktransformshape instead of bhkconvextransformshape, if OR is causing a crash then that's really on OR to fix.

Question - are you using the GOG version or the retail version? The nifs in the GOG version are an older version for some reason.

I tried to download your attachment and it says not available. I use the Steam version Game of the Year Deluxe, with all DLCs included. I read in another post somewhere that there are different versions of the meshes.bsa with each vendors version. I'll see if I can track that post down. It wasnt too long ago.

Tried again and still unable. I get a window appearing that says "

"Oops!

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location."

You can PM it to me if you would like.

When I attempt to download the attachment I receive the same message:  "This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location."

I notice that the thumbnail for the attachment also says "Unavailable".

Give it a poke now guys. The category didn't have attachment downloads active for regular members.

Was able to download the file today and test it out for abit. Ran around the city walls of Skingrad where there is lots of farming and a couple other farms and no crashes and also no warnings in MessageLoggers log about the mesh. Thank you. :)

An UOP update in the works! A most joyous occasion! As updates are now few and far-between, I thought I'd add a few suggestions to consider for inclusion, lest they be forever lost.

I originally sent these suggestions to Sigurð Stormhand by way of PM, as I didn't want to clutter up this thread in case they are non-sensical, but was asked to post them here for public discussion instead, so here we are.

• In keeping with the mesh theme, you might want to look at mhahn123's series of architecture fix mods. I think there was discussion about including the upper- and middle-class and lower-class architecture fixes back in 2015, but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it. The UOP changelog does mention some changes along those lines, but it doesn't seem like all of the fixes were included. Since then, there have also been fixes released for Anvil and Leyawiin architecture. The Leyawiin one is perhaps a bit controversial for the UOP, since it could be argued that it's an aesthetic change, rather than a plain fix, but the Anvil one seems safe to include.
  • Another small mesh fix is included with Syscrusher's Chorrol House Resources, which fixes a collision problem on the railing of ChorrolHouseMiddle04Int.NIF. It seems like a similar fix is already included with the UOP since way back in 2008, but it may be worth looking at this to see if it implements the fix in a better manner. Sadly I'm not experienced enough with NifSkope to make that determination myself.
  • Vorians recently released a pack of fixed exterior Ayleid ruins meshes, to fix see-through gaps. It seems like the UOP has fixed the gaps in a different way, by adjusting the placement of the meshes in the world, rather than fix the meshes themselves, but it may still be worth considering this for inclusion in case there are any places that have been missed.
  • For even more mesh fixes, we have Flora Display Fix. This prevents flora from clipping through fog and mist by adjusting alpha properties. The UOP already includes a lot of these flora meshes for other reasons, so it conflicts. It might be worth looking at adding these alpha fixes to all the flora meshes in the UOP, as long as there's no downside to doing so.
  • Now for something a bit different, we have Disappearing Grass Fix. This apparently circumvents an engine bug by changing the Position Range parameter for grasses. This may include a visual change in grass density—before the bug happens, that is—so it may also be a bit controversial for the UOP.
  • And for variety, I'll throw in a vanilla object placement bug that I've just discovered myself: there's z-fighting/flickering on a set of stairs on the path leading to Hermaeus Mora's Shrine. More specifically, the flickering happens between two meshes with reference IDs 00085532 and 00085533, pieces of Bruma outdoor ledge and stairs architecture, BrumaLedgeSteps01.NIF and BrumaLedgeCurve90Small01.NIF, base object ID's 001b86E and 0090907, on the border between cells -17,37 and -18,37 high up in the Colovian mountains. Other places using these stairs look fine, so it's not a problem with the meshes themselves, but rather an unfortunate overlap.
  • Lastly, you may want to look over the UOP's Bash Tags, as there have been somewhat recent changes to how Wrye Bash names some of the old ones, and new ones have been implemented. I'd suggest looking at Dispensation's excellent Bash Tags for Mods for inspiration.

Thank you for your time, and for your hard work on the patches.

Yeah you may want to scrap those first two suggestions. Lower Class Architecture Fixes are not direct vanilla replacers. I separated the basement door portions from the meshes and added some wood components to the porch roofs on Lower03. So they are in fact different from the vanilla models. I am planning to incorporate just the bug fixes in an update, but probably not in time for the UOP update.

The Upper and Middle Class fixes are also slated for an update. I was new to modeling when I did those and made some mistakes tbh. They work ok but aren't at my current standards.