[RELz] Unofficial Oblivion Patch [UOP]

Arthmoor

So, first of all, we can update the UOP as needed, so long as the UPP project is running we can theoretically update any of the patches even if they're in maintenance mode. What we are not going to do is entertain "crunch" on the UP where we scramble to hit an arbitrary deadline every six months. So, the patch is not "dead" or "unsupported" but an update will come when it can be justified, as opposed to on a regular schedule. With that in mind, I want to get this update out in the next few weeks. We have one texture fix ready to go and another four meshes ready, I think, so those will be included. There are a lot of other meshes we COULD fix but they're not critical so that's more a case of reaching a point where we have enough to justify an update.

As regards the list you gave me - a couple of thoughts:

1. fixed exterior Ayleid ruins isn't really a fix, those gaps in the meshes are meant to be there just like the gaps in the castle wall meshes etc.

2. The grass issue is something we could look into, but we would need to see if the parameter has any other impact before we implement it.

3. The other stuff I could look at but it would take a while and would likely go in a later update once we have checked everything.

Also:

3 hours ago, mhahn123 said:

Yeah you may want to scrap those first two suggestions. Lower Class Architecture Fixes are not direct vanilla replacers. I separated the basement door portions from the meshes and added some wood components to the porch roofs on Lower03. So they are in fact different from the vanilla models. I am planning to incorporate just the bug fixes in an update, but probably not in time for the UOP update.

The Upper and Middle Class fixes are also slated for an update. I was new to modeling when I did those and made some mistakes tbh. They work ok but aren't at my current standards. 

Pretty sure we fixed everything with the lower class meshes, I did at least two passes on those. With Cheydinhal, I know we worked on those but it got to a point where after fixing twenty errors, some of which you had already caught, in two or three meshes I just ran out of time - I remember we were all shocked how many flipped faces there were. In my opinion the Leyawiin meshes don't actually need fixing, comparison to Italian stucco buildings suggests they're meant to look like that. The issue is texture quality rather than a fault.

We talked about working on Anvil, I know you found some stuff, I found some other stuff.

So, probably at least one more update in the future.

How long ago did you do passes on them? I can give you a detailed rundown on what's wrong with the vanilla lowerclass meshes. Just in case you want to double check. There is more wrong than you may think. I've been through them at least a dozen times in the last year working on custom variants. Familiar with all the little glitches. Farmhouses also have a few oddities that I've only fixed for custom builds so far. 

Yes the Leyawiin fixes are on the fence perhaps. Some of the houses have wood window frames, some don't. Matter of opinion on how they should look. Anvil meshes I've found a number of things. The most visible being UV mapping for the tile roof textures. They are all upside down. Cheydinhal I've found a few more since my last go through. One of the upper homes in particular has really bad UVs on the roof as well. 

Happy to compare notes if you like.

With the lowerclass houses I'm fairly certain I got it all, I've also done a few passes on the farmhouse meshes.

Certainly possible I've missed things but probably not much. I've done two passes on both of those, at least, though.

With Anvil there are just so many issues, especially with the copper domes which are just hideous. 

Edit: Which is to say we should compare notes, but this update needs to go out first to fix the broken stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see a new UOP update is in the works!

There is a conflict with UOP and Elsweyr Anequina with the following LOD meshes :

Meshes\Landscape\LOD\60.-32.-32.32.nif
Meshes\Landscape\LOD\60.-32.-64.32.nif
Meshes\Landscape\LOD\60.00.-32.32.nif
Meshes\Landscape\LOD\60.00.-64.32.nif

Which could cause desert LOD to occur in Cyrodiil or greenery LOD to occur in Elsweyr (depending on load order)... I don't know if this is something that can be fixed and included?

So at this stage I understand that you will be including the draw calls fix into UOP. Would you also consider including a fix for the 'Colovian Traders being permanently locked' bug, similar to UOP Colovian Traders Lock Fix or Colovian Traders and Mystic Emporium Lockup fix and also including a fix for the 'Mystic Emporium in IC being permanently locked' similar to Mystic Emporium - Frostcrag DLC - Lock Door Fix Patch or Mystic Emporium Patch.

Also here are some other random bug fixes you might consider adding some of them:

Unlock Fighters Guild Doors

Necromancer's double amulet fix -->either this or change the mages guild quest requirement to allow for more then one Necromancer amulet in procession.

Arcane University flames fix

Market District Landscape Fix

Simple Oghma Infinium Crash Fix

Those LOD conflicts should be resolved by making sure that Anequina is installed after the UOP so that the package ordering applies the assets in the right order.

Those two "lock fix" plugins are handled by using a Bashed Patch, which is a basic necessity in using mods for Oblivion. The ownership changes which fix both of those issues will be resolved that way.

We don't do landscape edits in the UOP so the one for the Market District would not be included. Landscape edits lead to too many other problems.

The rest of those would need to be evaluated before we could say whether they're candidate fixes for the next update.

Thanks Arthmoor.... Do you recommend adding any bash tags for the 'lock fix' plugins to make sure the right records get imported (or merged) into the Bashed Patch or it should be Okay as is?

Each of the files in the UODP already has the appropriate tags to handle fixing the door ownership issue.

For the Market District, we could maybe look at modifying the mesh itself to cover any actual gaps, there's at least one place where that might be appropriate, but we aren't going to modify the land.

Issues with LOD are fixed by TES4LL https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40549. The program makes any LOD landscape fixes the UOP implemented obsolete.

With regards to the other locking doors, I've never come across issues myself with the patches installed. In some cases the issue can crop up even with the "Factions" tag if those NPCs are edited by another mod that also has the same tag but loads later. In those cases there's nothing we can do, it's the responsibility of the authors of those mods to either use the UOP as a master, or to integrate their own version of those fixes into their mods.

"Simple Oghma Infinium Crash Fix" Looks like it might be a valid bug, and that might be a workable fix.

However, as I have stressed already, the next update will be coming down the Pipe ASAP, it will have the draw calls fix, a texture fix and about five other mesh fixes, all but one of which were supposed to be in the previous update. We'll look at other things after that - which is not to fob you off, it's just literally that I have no time these days, so have to squeeze this work in where I can.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:13 AM, Sladen2019 said:

Tried again and still unable. I get a window appearing that says "

"Oops!

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location."

You can PM it to me if you would like.

handscythe01.nif

Can you test this file, please. It seems (and I don't understand how) that the previous versions wasn't actually "fixed".

21 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

Just got done giving it a test. No crashes and no related errors in MessageLoggers log. It seems good to me. :)

OK, good, just need to do a batch test of all the meshes to check for any obvious errors and we should be good to go, I hope.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, Sladen2019 said:

Just got done giving it a test. No crashes and no related errors in MessageLoggers log. It seems good to me. :)

Question - which version of the game do you have? Retail? Steam? GOG?

1 hour ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Question - which version of the game do you have? Retail? Steam? GOG?

Steam version. Said so in a previous post. :)

9 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

Steam version. Said so in a previous post. :)

Beg your pardon. Do you think you could extract and upload the version contained in your BSA? We know that the versions of most Nifs in the GOG version is lower than in the original retail copy and I suspect the same is true of the Steam version. What I originally uploaded was a copy of the nif from the original retail disk - it may be that that was all that was needed, without modification.

4 hours ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Beg your pardon. Do you think you could extract and upload the version contained in your BSA? We know that the versions of most Nifs in the GOG version is lower than in the original retail copy and I suspect the same is true of the Steam version. What I originally uploaded was a copy of the nif from the original retail disk - it may be that that was all that was needed, without modification.

No problem. Here it is. If you would like any other files or even the entire BSA, it will be no problem.

handscythe01.nif

Nif version 10.0.1.0, as opposed to 10.2.0.0 for most GOG meshes and 20.0.0.5 for retail. I'd say that's the core problem.

Thanks.

Yeah, Jon mentioned that nif version issue once before and found there's something like 1500-2000 of them that are in the wrong state, but we never actually addressed that because of the sheer number of them and no good way to mass update them to the proper formats found on the retail DVD.

Should we need any of those from the retail DVD to use as the basis for a confirmed crash or something, I do still have mine.

Hello Arthmoor, hello all AFK mods community, can i ask about permission to translate the whole oblivion and morrowind unofficial patches? :P i do that on previous site i use, but there is so toxic atmosphere, thats why i delete all my translations, but im not wanna let people down, and compensate the waiting for people who want play your fantastic mods, i only translation to polish language, but first i must get permission to do that, its your mods, your work and i must ask for respect you and time you spend to create this wonderful mods who repair all aspects of the game.

Best regard from Poland to all community member of AFK mods, and have a nice day all :)

I can only speak directly to Oblivion. We'd have no issue with you translating it to Polish.

I don't think Jac would mind if you did the same with the UMP but that's ultimately up to him as he's the one in charge of that.

Reporting a potential developer error.

As stated by the UESP, and I quote:

• There is an unused dialogue option "I don't want the cowl's curse" that was supposed to appear at the end of your conversation with the "Gray Fox" (after he finishes talking with Millona). He would respond to it with "The curse has been broken. Of course the thieves will only recognize you as their guildmaster when you wear the cowl. However, when you remove the cowl, eveyone [sic] will know you as yourself. Fortunately, the cowl still has the power to hide your alter ego from them. They will not realize that you are the same person that just took off the cowl. To them, the Gray Fox just vanished into thin air." However, since the preceding dialogue is marked as ending the conversation, this dialogue option never becomes available.

I created a mod some time ago that restores this dialogue option, but the more I think about it, the more likely it seems that this line not appearing was a developer mistake. When you look at the preceding line in the Construction Set, you can see that the line above is still linked to it, and the line itself explains to the player how the Grey Cowl works now that the curse has been broken, which is left for the player to discover in the vanilla game. It seems that whoever was setting up the quest scripts missed this line and assumed that the previous one was the end of the conversation.

I made a mod file that partly corrects the mistake: I moved the conversation ending flag to the actual end of the conversation, but left the script where it was, because I don't know how to deal with scripts for Oblivion.

TG11DialogueRestore.zip

Seems like a potentially legitimate error. It's always tricky with these, though, because sometimes things are cut for pacing.

• 3 weeks later...

Possible Chapel problems found?

I was looking at the city chapels in the Construction Set in Vanilla and UOP so I could check them against a couple other cathedral mods in terms of their meshes and window/altar placements, etc. so I can fix a few problems those mods have. I think I may have spotted a few problems that may need fixed or were overlooked in the UOP:

First, a general thing I've noticed is all the city cathedrals have a CommonYellow384 light just above the main altar *except* for Skingrad (which has no light there) and Chorrol (which has a CommonLightOrangeShadow512 light higher above the main altar and at an angle - this is also in KOTN). It seems those may be errors by Bethesa?

Second, another general thing is that the hanging lights in the cathedrals have been replaced by UOPCathedralLight01 while removing the CommonYellow256 lights that were in front of them. However, one UOP light in the vanilla Kvatch and KOTN Chorrol chapels has the yellow light front of it. The KOTN Bravil chapel has the yellow lights with UOP lights while the vanilla Bravil chapel just has the UOP lights. The Anvil cathedral has all UOP lights and the yellow lights in front of all of them. I'm guessing that Anvil exception is because of the KOTN DLC?

One minor item I found is that one of the Auroran soldiers behind the main altar in Anvil is floating (in both vanilla and KOTN).

Another thing that might be considered is the bell sound box added by UOP in the Anvil cathedral might need to be stopped after the desecration in KOTN? Makes no sense if the bell keeps ringing after that if the script keeps doing that? I haven't played far enough in Oblivion to know if the bell rings after that event or not.

Ok, on another note. Since I'm considering fixing those cathedral mods I use, can anyone point out where I can find info on how to carry forward UOP fixes to those mods properly? I think they have a couple things that would override the UOP, so any info on that would be helpful, thanks.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I'm super short on time (mince pies won't bake themselves) but I read your entire post.

On the one hand, I'm not keen on adding in lights to Chapels just because they're in other chapels, especially with Chorrol which is supposed to be the prototype of all the others, whilst Skingraad might be deliberately darker.

For the other issues, a slightly floating actor is not an issue, if they won't take fall damaged then they'll just "settle" when the cell loads.

Otherwise - have you cleaned the DLC? It's possible the DLC has dirty edits, but patch was built on a cleaned esp, which could lead to the duplication. It's also equally possible this was all just missed.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:48 PM, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I'm super short on time (mince pies won't bake themselves) but I read your entire post.

On the one hand, I'm not keen on adding in lights to Chapels just because they're in other chapels, especially with Chorrol which is supposed to be the prototype of all the others, whilst Skingraad might be deliberately darker.

For the other issues, a slightly floating actor is not an issue, if they won't take fall damaged then they'll just "settle" when the cell loads.

Otherwise - have you cleaned the DLC? It's possible the DLC has dirty edits, but patch was built on a cleaned esp, which could lead to the duplication. It's also equally possible this was all just missed.

Thanks for the reply, Sigurd - I wasn't sure whether those might be errors or not, so figured I might report what I saw just in case. i personally think those lights over the main altar in Chorrol and Skingrad are errors, but that's just my opinion, though I didn't know Chorrol was supposed to be the prototype. Anyway, I'm still interested in finding out how to forward UOP changes to mods, as I have a few that I think need them as they override the UOP. I don't think simply saving such mods with UOP as a master would work for that, especially if they involve objects like the UOP lights in the chapels, right?