Bethesda.net is now live, new forums coming soon

Leonardo

well Arthmoor said the mail is in html, so...

Yes, and I discovered it the same way alt did and there's no preference in the software to tell it to send plain text. I don't like receiving HTML mail. Too many vectors for attacks that way. Maybe I should go squak at the support people too so they know there's more people who don't want that.

Yep, the law according to me with traditional email clients is

a. Dont click links in emails - Even from friends who may also be clueless about what they are actually linking

b. Dont trust attachments in emails - Again even from friends

c. Dont trust friends emails - They may not be who they pretend to be, spoofed

d. Dont allow any kind of plugins in your client software

e. Dont allow return receipts tracking

f. Dont allow any kind of code to run in emails - Plain text only

g. Dont allow remote content to be pulled in realtime as you view the emails - Options - Privacy settings

h. Always show email headers ( usually off by default )

i. For really important emails of a personal nature use GnuPG encryption and a different email address, or at least SSL up / down with a provider like GMX ( the latter is only of value if the person you communicate with also uses SSL up / down, but making a throw away GMX account is easy for anyone )

I realise all the above is the exception to the norm, most folk are brainwashed by the tyranny of default settings

But companies using email should always expect that those settings are user choice and may actually be set.

At the moment Bethesda.net is assuming everyone allows themselves to be potentially exploited by email bad practices

• 2 weeks later...

Site is massively annoying imho. can't change any setting without also changing the password. Why? Annoying security question instead of proper 2-factor auth. Why? Saves current and old passwords in database (of course i tried to enter the old one twice). Why?

Why?

Wonder if it is because of Todd.  :troll:

But yeah, that doesn't sound too good. Let's hope they get the issues sorted out or else people are not going to want to bother with it.

I already don't like it because they're expiring the login cookie too fast and the way the login screen works, the browser won't fill in the form.

For me on either IE or Edge, i need to click the form once, so the browser opens a drop down menu with the option there. Fills in the password when selecting the Login, too.

Well that's annoying then. Guess I'll need to go poke the Pale Moon forums and see why it's not filling in the form despite having asked if I wanted to remember it for that site.

Would help if they weren't expiring the cookie after 24 hours.

It works exactly as Gruftlord written.

I misunderstood, I thought that the browser does not fill at all User and Pasword form.

Arthmoor I apologize for misinformation.

Pale Moon doesn't have a drop down though. Where are you seeing this? And it's not filling anything for me, which is what I said :P

It works exactly as Gruftlord written.

I misunderstood, I thought that the browser does not fill at all User and Pasword form.

I too use the same browser as you, Firefox 44.0.2 (updated a couple of days ago).

I can confirm that it does show a drop down list of information that's stored in Firefox, in my case the registered usename and my registered e-mail address.  That drop down list appear if you type the first letter then you can pick from the drop down list, so in my case if I type "L" then both my username "Leonardo" and my e-mail address (leonardo@<site.***>) appeared in that drop down list.

IIRC it depends how the server is configured and what settings the user have in the browser for cookies, but sometimes it also depends how forum software is configured.

Pale Moon has no such drop down menu though, and I think whatever is happening is a bug somewhere in their code since they are saying the browser should be ignoring the autocomplete flag the site is sending. It clearly is not though, because it isn't filling in the data.

Just curious.  Has anyone tried to visit BSF the last hour or so?

The reason I ask is that the forum seems to have a problem with the server or is it time for the new forum to be accessible.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I got the answer and it's the CloudFlare in Copenhangen that's a 504 error.

The Los Angeles Cloudflare was out when I logged on around the same time but it came back about 20 minutes later.

Thought maybe they were going live the hard way but I guess not :P

• 4 weeks later...

Oh god, it's worse than I thought it could be. This is just plain BAD.

When I logged in earlier today on the new forum (needed two e-mails before seeing the new forum) and read HD's forum guide I posted this at the official in response to what I think about the new forum.

Later I posted this.

Using Jive on Bethedsa.net is really a bad idea.

Although, if I were force to choose between Jive and vBulletin I would gladly pick vBulletin as there is at least someting in common when it comes to a forum software in comparison to IPS.

This is how the new forum looks like when viewing a thread (I'm not sure if they use the word "thread" at the new forum).

This is how the new forum looks like when viewing a thread (I'm not sure if they use the word "thread" at the new forum).

Now I understand why they couldn't perform a simple operation of transferring accounts - they can't even create a basic forum themselves.

That's plane horrible for such big company.

Now I understand why they couldn't perform a simple operation of transferring accounts - they can't even create a basic forum themselves.

That's plane horrible for such big company.

This time outdone themselves.

What this time limit of 10 posts in the thread?