Bethesda.net is now live, new forums coming soon

Leonardo

It's so sadly horribly ugly and un-friendly. The "reddit like-ness" of it is a huge turnoff for me. I haven't even registered yet and right now I'm thinking I may never bother.

I haven't even registered yet and right now I'm thinking I may never bother.

Let me tell you one thing, if I knew how the new forum would look like when they told us about Jive I would NEVER register there.

Uh man, wtf. at least i got in this time, somehow. by wildly clicking back and forth.

looks like they require quite the stupidly large res for the avatar picture. if not they blow it up to insane values only top then reduce it again for displaying it smaller. which is to say: not much remains of my already kind of blurry bunny (original used to be something like 40px, is now blurry 200). i remember we once had some discussions about awesome upscaling algorithms used for mangas and comics. would someone be able and willing to help me get my profile pic into the year 2016?

The avatar thing is quite confusing. They appear to have some kind of banner thing going but I managed to find somewhere to upload just the square avatar pic and did so. It accepted a 300x300 PNG file. Then shrank that to the size of a grape or something. You can barely tell what it is. Sort of like how chat icons work here :P

Oh, and they don't even support Gravatar, which is quite strange for any forum package in 2016 not to.

Well, I'm done. Not gonna fight it anymore. Even locally editing all site cookies to expire in 2017 failed to keep the login past 24 hours. If they're going to use a forum package that throws web standards out the window and won't autofill the form, won't maintain cookies properly, and won't sent those blasted confirmation emails in plain text, it simply isn't worth the bother. There are too many barriers to usability in the way now.

Well, I'm done. Not gonna fight it anymore. Even locally editing all site cookies to expire in 2017 failed to keep the login past 24 hours. If they're going to use a forum package that throws web standards out the window and won't autofill the form, won't maintain cookies properly, and won't sent those blasted confirmation emails in plain text, it simply isn't worth the bother. There are too many barriers to usability in the way now.

I read your post at the official and I agree, it isn't worth the trouble to actually try to use something that isn't near to be a forum.

So turn them off!

I thought I had. But it looks like the settings between bethesda.net and community.bethesda.net are different. great, just great. It's one freaking account.

Also: the options name "Voreinstellung", which leads me to the email notification settings totally doesn't mean what they think it means. Which is funny, because i did switch the language to English, but apparently this only applies to the content of the blog posts, not the menu. really, i don't think i should bother flipping any settings there already, it's a beta test is all. they're probably gonna have to redesign a lot of stuff soon.

They're going to have to do a lot more than redesign a few things.

IMO the only thing Beth can do with new forum is flushing this in toilet.

Beth ever gave any reason why they changing the current forum for this "cripple"?

Some CSS magic.
But unfortunately, from the needle hard to make a pitchfork. :troll:
m2g5mLxl.jpg

Well since it won't maintain a proper login cookie and they don't follow web standards with regard to autofill forms, I'm not wasting my time. Cause when I HAVE logged in, it insists that every time I do, I must be on a new "device" and it sends verification codes. In 100% HTML mail. Which I don't allow, so I have to change viewing options just to see the code. Then it decides "oh, that wasn't right" and makes me do the whole process all over AGAIN. Nope. Not worth it. They completely blew this one and I see no way to fix it without getting a proper forum package.

They're trying to turn an obvious mobile social media system into a regular forum and it has utterly failed.

Well since it won't maintain a proper login cookie and they don't follow web standards with regard to autofill forms, I'm not wasting my time. Cause when I HAVE logged in, it insists that every time I do, I must be on a new "device" and it sends verification codes. In 100% HTML mail. Which I don't allow, so I have to change viewing options just to see the code. Then it decides "oh, that wasn't right" and makes me do the whole process all over AGAIN. Nope. Not worth it. They completely blew this one and I see no way to fix it without getting a proper forum package.

They're trying to turn an obvious mobile social media system into a regular forum and it has utterly failed.

Jive is completely useless.

So my virtual family in the cyberspace is fading away and soon I'll be too.  Once the old forum has the read only status then it's the same as saying goodbye to Bethesda's official forum.

There is nothing to be fixed IMO.  Instead what they should really do, is to listen to their members who is telling them that Jive are their worse mistake ever it's even worse than the failed payed mods project on Stam Workshop.

I know you don't like vBulletin, but vBulletin with some forum mods it's awesome especially for modders who like to post a detailed OP that have a LONG readme which cover every aspect of the mod in question.

Below have I listed some neat features that exists in vBulletin.

channel (not sure what purpose a channel has)

post history (the same as GHF with a small difference)

extended BBCode's, which include two types of a spoiler (normal spoiler and a content spoiler (you name a content spoiler like this post and this post has a different layout)

Well the thing is, they could take any forum package out there right now, including phpBB or the ultra-shitty homebrew one we used here before IPB, and build a site from that. It would have been immediately functional right out of the box and would have looked and worked 100x better than this Jive thing.

If they were just looking for something to be different with, vBulliten would have done that for them since a lot of places use IPB. I think they picked Jive though because someone sold their marketing people on the social media features and none of those people know a thing about functional forums.

That new forum is doomed as far as I'm concerned. If I can't successfully login without getting grey hair, I'm sure as hell not going to be using it. They've really outdone themselves this time. Annoying to the nth degree.

Well the thing is, they could take any forum package out there right now, including phpBB or the ultra-shitty homebrew one we used here before IPB, and build a site from that. It would have been immediately functional right out of the box and would have looked and worked 100x better than this Jive thing.

If they were just looking for something to be different with, vBulliten would have done that for them since a lot of places use IPB. I think they picked Jive though because someone sold their marketing people on the social media features and none of those people know a thing about functional forums.

I concur.

Sorry, but I need to ask.  Why do you spell vBulletin as vBulliten?  It sounds a bit strange to me, unless you miss the spelling when writing your comment.

I bet those people who suggested Jive is not from Bethesda instead they are tied to Zenimax and in particular to the ESO forum community.  Of course I could be wrong about that.

maybe they wanted this whole two-factor stuff for their upcoming Mod distribution hub. The new forum is maybe just a side-product of their endeavor to get something rolling like battle.net.

maybe they wanted this whole two-factor stuff for their upcoming Mod distribution hub.

This is my guess. Consoles wouldn't be able to use anything much fancier so guess what? PC users suffer again.

That new forum is doomed as far as I'm concerned. If I can't successfully login without getting grey hair, I'm sure as hell not going to be using it. They've really outdone themselves this time. Annoying to the nth degree.

Indeed, if this post are correct about not being able to access your profile when using a mobile.