Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP] [OLD TOPIC]

Arthmoor

Nope, haven't done that. I'm not yet convinced that the process is entirely safe to do in an automated fashion the way it could be done in TES4Gecko for Oblivion mods. So the merge work is being done by hand so we can be sure that everything falls into place the way we mean for it to.

It's really only going to be a matter of copying overrides for the DLC edits into the main USKP and then making sure the resulting conflicts are resolved afterward.

You're not yet convinced- what would it take to convicn you?  Also, have you ever actually used it? 

You certainly don't have to use it, but I'm just curious.  I'm always looking for ways to improve my work.

It would probably take seeing it handle a number of large mods in one go without needing to manually go through to check for problems afterward.

No, I haven't used it myself, but I've heard from others who have that it's less than a streamlined and easy experience. Whereas Gecko was almost literally click and go and you could count on the results being error free when it was done. Without having to check after it later.

Chances are though that I wouldn't have trusted Gecko with an attempt to merge the UOPs for Oblivion together either so it's more a matter of wanting to know precisely what's going through the process of merging the data. Plus we have navmeshes to contend with.

SKSE might help with save bloat, but the main benefit is that it fixes memory leaks. As you play, Skyrim continues to eat up more and more memory. Given that it's a 32 bit application, it can't reserve any more than 4GB of RAM. When it hits that limit and attempts to access more memory, the game crashes. The main benefits are fewer CTDs and support for certain mod features (if you need them).

Thanks! Though I don't remember my vanilla game has been using so many RAM (haven't seen it eat up over 2GB), even after I played for quite a few hours. Based on what Arthmoor said, USKP can't fix it, so is vanilla game safe from the 4GB limit, or just I didn't notice it?

unmodded and without high res textures, you are pretty save. and if you crash, just reload, and you are good to go for another few hours.

it's just that most people do use high res textures (including the official high res DLCs) and mods these days, so the improved memory management is a godsend. it's not uncommon to eat up more than 2 GB of VRAM (which is mirrored in RAM) on textures alone.

unmodded and without high res textures, you are pretty save. and if you crash, just reload, and you are good to go for another few hours.

it's just that most people do use high res textures (including the official high res DLCs) and mods these days, so the improved memory management is a godsend. it's not uncommon to eat up more than 2 GB of VRAM (which is mirrored in RAM) on textures alone.

I see......but I do use the official high res. :P Maybe I'm lucky.

Or you don't play with enough mods to matter. :P

Also, SKSE will do nothing to fix memory leaks. That's not what the memory patch does. Basically, vanilla Skyrim preallocates two 256MB blocks of memory when the game starts. This was done in Patch 1.9 as part of their wasted efforts to make the DLC work on the PS3. SKSE (and the memory patches Sheson wrote before they adopted it) change this and allow you to specify your own sizes for these blocks. For the vast majority of people, setting block one to 512MB and leaving block 2 at 256MB solves everything. On certain ridiculously overloaded games, block one may need to be pushed to 768MB. It's rare to need to touch the second block, and often times trying to do so will result in CTDs.

Note that the value for DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB in SKSE.ini needs to be 256 more than what you want memory block1 to be. So 768 is in effect 512MB.

Recommended values In SKSE.ini :

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Memory Blocks Log by Sheson helps finding a more precise size for the first memory block.

Yes, true, though I wish they hadn't done that cause it does lead to some confusion.

I see a few people addressing the DLC in terms of story content or forced game play, or monetary issues, which really at this stage is quite irrelevant for the most part.  However no one mentions the advanced gameplay mechanics or new models that they brought with them...that allow for greater diversity and modding choices.  Not to mention that the people who do not like the idea are not kicked in the crotch by it.  They still have access to years of development by talented people who offered the fixes for free.  You lose nothing.  Keep your outdated mods and the USKP version 2.1.3 and thank the man for all the hard work he and others have put into it.  The majority of players welcome the changes.  We finally get to go forward instead of holding steady.  I for one will probably keep a load order with with the separate Unofficial patches and another for the USLEP.  As there will be mods that I want to still play that will take time ...if ever, to get converted.  I am one of a vast silent majority who like the changes but was compelled to speak up, so had to create a log in to do so.  So Thank-you Arthmoor and everyone who has ever contributed to these patches and the testing of and so forth.

EDIT: Typo fee to free.

• Like 1

(Welcome to AFK MallaVelve)

I see a few people addressing the DLC in terms of story content or forced game play, or monetary issues, which really at this stage is quite irrelevant for the most part.

Why is it irrelevant?

However no one mentions the advanced gameplay mechanics...

The original game of Skyrim also presents itself with advanced gameplay mechanics. Do the DLC show this in a different way? How so?

by talented people who offered the fixes for fee.

You can always donate, that's not considered a fee. :)

I am one of a vast silent majority

I'm one of a vast minority. It would be interesting to poll whether more of the modding community belong to the minority in reflection of their experience working with the CK.

and the testing of and so forth.

And so forth we venture into new territory. I think it'll work out in any case. :)

(Welcome to AFK MallaVelve)

Why is it irrelevant?

The price of the DLC is very small with the sales and considering how old they are now.  I should have clarified that I was only referring to that .   And I know low funds...I am very poor myself after my accident.  

The original game of Skyrim also presents itself with advanced gameplay mechanics. Do the DLC show this in a different way? How so?

For example; The ocean waves that Dragonborn added to the game.  There are others.

You can always donate, that's not considered a fee. :)

Typo...was supposed to be FREE.

I'm one of a vast minority. It would be interesting to poll whether more of the modding community belong to the minority in reflection of their experience working with the CK.

And so forth we venture into new territory. I think it'll work out in any case. :)

I agree... :wave:

For example; The ocean waves that Dragonborn added to the game.  There are others.

Shoreline waves was pretty cool, and full credit to the imaginations of Todd & Co for the particular nuance in the orbits of Secundo and Masser producing waves in Solstheim but nowhere else. :P

Both WATER and Realistic Water Two do it. But there is a mod that just handles the waves without touching water. It's called Waves :P

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update for everyone who may be wondering. Internal testing is going well and we look to be on track for an October beta release - or possibly before the end of September if things go really well. We've been able to confidently say that updating mid-game to USLEEP won't have any negative side effects on your saves, which came as a great relief. Major quest lines for the MQ and factions all appear to be working flawlessly as well. We're still keeping an eye out for ol' Murphy though. Everyone here knows he's lurking, cause that's what he does. :peer:

Is there any place that has a proper, detailed explanation of the differences between what most of us have now-Skyrim+3 separate DLC's and Legendary? There are plenty of marketing hype sites, but I can find little on its actual features and differences, Does legendary have a different file structure from regular skyrim? etc. Are there any sites or articles that go into that? Both Wikis scarcely even mention it...

There's no difference, that's why you can't find anything on it. Skyrim + 3 DLCs = Legendary Edition. The only "difference" I guess is that you can buy it as one package on Steam vs 4 separate ones.