Crash at lauch with DG patch on Windows8.1

weird d

Hi

not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it is :

I reinstalled Skyrim after changing my PC (changing from Windows7 to 8.1)  but apparently the Dawnguard Patch causes a game crash at launch. It happens just after the Bethesda logo disappears - no error message or anything, the window just closes.

launched the game with no mods : no problem

launched the game without the the DG patch but with other mods : no problem

launched the game  with only the DG patch (patch just below DG in the launcher) : crash

I also tried to run in Windows7 compatibility mode, but no change.

DxDiag.txt

With ONLY the UDGP? You need to also have the USKP installed for that to work or you'll get exactly what you're describing: Crash at the main menu. In 99% of all cases, that's due to a missing master file. The remainder would usually be due to a bad or missing strings file, but the UDGP isn't distributed in multilingual format so that shouldn't be a problem.

Tried again with the USKP, you're right it worked (though I don't see the Update.esm in the launcher even though I have it in my Data folder, but apparently no problem). I didn't have this problem on win7 despite only using the UDGP, so I didn't think of trying the other patches.

Thanks again for the help.

ouch! you should read descriptions more. I'm pretty sure I know why you had no problem with win 7. let me guess: you used a way older version of UDGP?