Bug: Reverse texture in Irkngthand

keppekinosha

I see a bug that the "dbscrawl01.dds" appears to reverse left and right.

cellname: irkngthand02

file directory: textures\clutter

Video

Ah, yes :

dbscrawl01-01.jpg

textures\clutter\dbscrawl01.dds

And turning the alpha channel ON with Photoshop makes the thing much more visible :

dbscrawl01-02.jpg

It's always been there, and reversed, which is unsurprising given that Mercer thinks he's really clever (and unstoppable) therefore the reversal is likely intentional.

Quote from UESP

There is an "Empty" shadowmark on the empty chest in the middle, and on the wall above is a message written by Mercer Frey. The message reads: One Step Ahead -Mercer, and it is laterally inverted (a mirror image).

I'm sorry, English is not my native language, so I don'nt know how clever of Mercer to do so. Can you describe it for me?

Mercer has the Skeleton Key which confers a number of "abilities" which are hinted at in dialog from both Mercer and Karliah. He is proving that he can not only discover but use (to considerable effect) those abilities. I would suggest that the writing being reversed is simply his way of saying "Hey! Look at me! Aren't I the clever one" thus increasing the animosity (which is clearly there) between himself and Karliah.

Mercer has the Skeleton Key which confers a number of "abilities" which are hinted at in dialog from both Mercer and Karliah. He is proving that he can not only discover but use (to considerable effect) those abilities. I would suggest that the writing being reversed is simply his way of saying "Hey! Look at me! Aren't I the clever one" thus increasing the animosity (which is clearly there) between himself and Karliah.

One can't see the text in the texture in its texture set record, nor can one see it where it's positioned in the CK. So I suspect that this is an oversight.

Also, assuming Mercer is right-handed (because that's the hand he uses his sword with), speaking as a rightie, I find it easier to trace the motions the "correct" way around than the mirror-motions.

Idd it would be easier (I'm a rightie too), but that's the point I'm making - why do it the easy way when you can annoy the opposition by doing the opposite? That's how I've always seen that text - as a deliberate taunt (to Karliah). Anyway - I've made my point (because I can :P) - up to the team now to decide if it really is a bug and therefore worth "fixing".

Thank you for a lively exposition, but I still don't know what is the significance of the inscribed on the wall for "laterally inverted"?

So... the reverse words = Some specific shame? A provocative?(Catch me if you can)

Perhaps... some of what I did not knows or could not see the deep cultural significance?

IMO it's too big to be an unnoticed clumsiness. This is deliberately intended. And Gruftlord's first reaction (unable to see this at first sight) is exactly what devs wanted : some kind of open provocation from Mercer, but roguishly 'disguised' so as to fool who he considers as 'morons'.

Well in my defense, i thought it looked so blurry, i thought it was ugly smoke. Like i literally didn't even think those were scratches on the wall. I'm pretty sure this can not be attributed to mercer's wittyness. Speaking of scratches in the wall: anyone know whether these suffer from the same bug the thieves guild marks originally did? May explain why more people didn't know what to make of them.

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/tracdown/issue/10190-shadowmarks-look-inverted/

I made an offhand comment in chat last night that this was the result of Mercer thinking he was being clever. :P

Consider this. The texture artist drew it backward in the file. The CK clearly displays it, so the level designer knew it was backward when they placed it. Assuming a QA person wandered in here to make sure the quest worked, they surely saw it. Nobody playing the game has said anything about it in nearly 4 years (until this thread).

It's the kind of thing that is obviously generating debate as to whether it's a bug or intentional, and signs point to it being intentional. You'd otherwise have to assume that every member of the team in the pipeline is incompetent and that doesn't wash. Which has me thinking we should leave it alone.

Amazing what happens when you put new batteries in your crystal ball... (I wasn't in chat last night so I really must be psychic :o)

I personally think it's a mistake. 

The texture artist did not draw it backwards, they just flipped the alpha to be backwards. :P

Whether that was intentional or not, who knows, but, IMO, it's a mistake or maybe an oversight. Accidentally flipping a file doesn't take much so it's not like you have to go through this long and thoughtful process to do it. 

Is it possible that he wrote his message from the other side of the wall? I haven't done the quest, and don't know what kind of abilities the skeleton key is implied to grant, but being able to reach through solid objects or interact with things through walls would be mighty useful to a thief. He may not have thought about it showing up backwards from the other side.