Whiterun Mesh

JohnLR

s26.postimg.org/swxgb1ord/enb_2015_06_04_19_04_47_43.jpg

I saw the last patch correcting meshes of whiterun, then I decided to post this image showing some problems that I had seen and were not corrected.
I wonder if the unofficial patch includes this type of correction.

- sorry for posting in wrong place

Please provide more information, as in, where are you standing there? You can open the console and click on any of those rocks to get its RefID to help us as well.

Also, I assume you're talking about the mismatched colours on the grass? You appear to be using enb, based on that picture link ... have you tried turning it off? If there's more you see wrong, please elaborate.

I suppose you are talking about the black rubble texture. While it does indeed look like it is missing any blending i think your particular retexture is not helping very much in this case. Iirc the original texture just shows isolated rocks with lots of alpha channel in between. I'm not saying that's pretty either, but it surely makes the missing blending less obvious.

Yeah, the ENB you are using makes everything so flat that I can't even tell what textures are vanilla and what aren't.  If it's about the rubble like Gruftlord mentions,  I do think it's because you're using a retex with improper alphas.  And obviously we can't support retextures when they change the UV scaling, where UV seams show, or how the alpha channel works.

thanks for answering, well, I can go get the id, but don't need ..
the problem is the discontinuity of textures throughout whiterun
The ENB does not affect, change the texture does not affect .. apparently is the meshes
The texture I'm using is the Skyrim HD - 2K Textures, the famous package.

~sorry for english

i will make a clear post.. just a minute

I have to admit, the vanilla textures take about 90% of discontinuity problems.
Always I used the Skyrim HD and the AmidianBorn, and both have the same problems.

s26.postimg.org/dic90oryx/enb_2015_06_30_00_24_38_30.png

[id 00034e9a, 0001a3c9]

But even the vanilla taking all in this part, is these issues that I speak.

s26.postimg.org/v5pgl5cih/enb_2015_06_30_00_25_18_40.png

[id 000506ee]

Is the missing blending, that Gruftlord mentioned.

I ended up falling into the joke of the two textures do not made less obvious this problem.

Until Tamriel Reloaded cause this problem.

Is strange to see the vanilla be 'better' than modification.

so as you see, the place where the black rubble used to be in your first picture is not actually a bug with the vanilla game. it's an error in the retexture. sadly, any game (and especially the ones from Bethesda) use a lot of cheap tricks to achieve their visuals. and often times, increasing the texture resolution does reveal the trick. and while the retexture usually has less low-res artifacts, other issues emerge. there is nothing that can be done (more smaller rubble with higher res would still leave a clearer outline that the few big low res rubble from vanilla, even with the addition of a proper alpha channel).

similar things apply to the issues you outlined in red, too. those are not texture blending issues in the traditional sense, but those are actually mesh borders. they will never align properly. the discoloration you see at the edge is a result of the lighting in the game, and the fact, that there is (and always will be) an angle between the ground mesh and the protruding mesh (which holds the rocks). it's not even a vertex color issue (afaik), but just the fact, that the different planes react differently to the simulated sunlight (because of said angle). it's made better or worse by the time of day, and can get really ugly when using a torch.

not sure if current gen engines would be able to hide such seams, maybe there is something like mesh blending using tessellation nowadays, but I seriously doubt it. anyway, it doesn't apply to skyrim.

once again, let me point out, why the effect is less visible in the vanilla screenshot: Bethesda artists knew about this lighting engine shortcoming. they designed their texture around this limitation. you will see, that the top mesh is still a bit darker in your screenshots than the ground mesh, but the seam is hidden by the fact, that the textures have a much bigger brightness variance (with yellow, green and brown parts, especially in this shot: http://s26.postimg.org/dic90oryx/enb_2015_06_30_00_24_38_30.png),while your retextures sport more or less a uniform yellow coloration.

(side note: s26.postimg.org/v5pgl5cih/enb_2015_06_30_00_25_18_40.png, the rectangle on the upper right, this might be a texture seam issue on the ground nif, not sure.)

("but Gruftlord", you ask, "is there any retexture, that is actually good?" well it depends, but Serious HD Retexture imho has a lot less of these issues, than other more popular retextures do.)

So .. in short, because of the limitation, the textures have to adapt to create a good transition effect, like vanilla does.

And in the second picture where I show the discontinuity problems with red rectangles, almost all are engine limitation issues and lighting issues, like the whiterun first entrance that was corrected by relighting.

And the latest in the upper right corner, the resolution problem, which was corrected by the mod SparrowPrince.

I'll take a look at this retexture, after seeing this problem is repeated in both three largest retextures involving whiterun, I am not relying heavily on textures modifications, I will use the vanilla HD DLC along with the unofficial patch.

~thanks o/