Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

wow - can it also open them with some standard win10 program?

currently i have SageThumbs installed for thumb image generation in win 8, which also adds an option to the right click menu to convert all files to jpeg or PNG, which is helpul in some cases (like reducing BMP screenshots on the go)

Ehm .. I dont know - I have already gone past assigning an "Opens with" default for dds files, for quick looks on windows 7 I always have Paint.NET assigned to dds files, and if I then want to do any work on them I will use Open With to load it into Photoshop or G.I.M.P instead

So naturally I did the same setup after Win 10 installed - Which means I no longer know what the default program would be for these

But I would imagine Windows Paint ..

Hang on, will try loading one up ..

.. And Paint will not load them, but Windows Picture and Fax viewer will

EzeuZpT.jpg

( Its now called Windows Photo Viewer = Same beast )

that is awesome. do they also open 4k dds files? something the dds viewer i used for quick views didn't open.

looks like i can get rid of two more programs with win 10.

there is one more of those: a program to make ISO images of optical drives. win 8+ opens isos without external programs, which is nice. but i have not found a way to produce them natively. currently i use iso recorder, which once again adds a right click menu entry to produce an ISO file from a drive. it works quite nicely, but i'd like to know what i could potentially get rid of before doing the upgrade, for fear of needless conflicts.

That I cant tell - I have very few textures on my machine above 2k, and the ones that are 4k do not have thumbs and will not load with Windows Photo Viewer ..

.. But I have also noticed that other dds files will also not have thumbs or load in Windows Photo Viewer if they are unusual dds formats

So I cant tell if its just because of unusual format OR the size matters, by unusual formats, I mean not the standard DXT1/3/5 - The textures I have over 2k are Alt Navetsea UNP Seamless High, which are either 8.8.8 or 8.8.8.8

I have some smaller sized textures in these formats which also do not get recognised to make thumbs or load in the viewer.

So it seems a bit limited to standard DXT format dds files, and will not cope with all the ones we are accustomed to G.I.M.P, Photoshop or Irfanview being able to handle. But for a quick look through a huge folder full of textures, the thumbs produced for the majority are going to be a help.

i see, thanks for clearig that up. sounds like they simply implemented nvidias old dds viewer then. it's usually sufficient, for anything else there is still gimp.

Reference an Iso recorder - Windows has something new called Windows DVD Player

I have not tried it yet, but it sounds like just another App we dont need - Like Groove - When we still have Windows Media Player aswell which will cope with all the needs those two are providing for  :rolleyes:

( Well, I dont use WMP either to be honest, VLC media player does all my playing needs )

I think for ISO recording, third party will still be the way to go, I always used InfraRecorder on windows, its reliable enough for Linux distro burning.

Edit : Just tried Windows DVD Player - And yep thats all it does.

I'm now going through this process a fourth time - New laptop  :banana:

CPU = Core I7 5500U ( Broadwell 14 nanometer 3D FinFET transistors / 2 cores ( 4 logical processors ) 2.4-3.0 ghz depending on mode / Hyperthreading )

System RAM = 12gb DDR 3

GPU = Geforce 940M

VRAM = 2gb

1tb Sata II HD ( I still prefer these over less lifetime from an SSD )

LED 17in screen

Bang & Olufsen Audio

4 x USB v3

Also has a second GPU Intel HD 5500, I have that setup as the PhysX processor, and using the NVidia as the preferred High performance graphics

No more need for Vanilla Reduced Textures .. Kind of sad really , or not :D

It was either a new desktop or the old faithful laptop was going, I thought its about time I indulged myself for the latter.

-------------------

Anyway back on topic - This one came with Win 8.1 64 bit, and I used the win 10 downloader to force feed the new OS and skip the cue

All has gone well. Gave it the same treatment as the other machines, and its purring along quite nicely

On the desktop we have had our first Microsoft Advertisement

A little pop up notification in the lower right of the screen trying to invite us to a free trial of Microsoft Office  :sick:

I have my doubts they are even looking at my machine and what is installed, because if they could see I already have LibreOffice installed .. surely they would not even bother trying to advertise inferior software such as MS Office :D

Congratulations. Looks like a nice setup.

Bad thing about the ads though. I'm almost happy i'm already used to them in the right corner thanks to avira antivir :D

Mind telling what brand that is, and what's the price range for such a setup? I need to get an upgrade for my dad.

Its a HP Envy 17 - From a small local shop who ordered it in .. I cant find the same model online :

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/List.aspx?sel=NTB&ctrl=f&fc_sb_envy=1

Theres a few there with Core I7 5500U, but I cant find the same model. I suppose it depends where the model was sourced from by the shop. The n009na is similar, but thats a lot more expensive than I paid. I dont think they know what they are selling sometimes ( on the side of the box the specs said 2 x USB 3 and 1 x USB 2 .. Whereas the machine inside had a surprise in that it had a bonus 4 x USB 3 )

Be warned - Very nice machine but its a typical HP laptop, so there's an installation flood of crapware needing uninstalled.

Not sure if this is news to you guys, but Microsoft has changed its eula to enable it to disable pirated software and unauthorised peripherals.

Here's the relevant addition to the eula, section 7B: “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

edit: The addition explicitly covers your Microsoft account (on all devices), but Windows 10 isn't (explicitly) mentioned though it could be included as the wording is a bit hazy. So those with only local accounts might be safe, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd be worried if I had any of this on my PCs still, but alas, I'm not a teenager any more.

and updating and at the same time invalidating pirated software sounds like something that only extends to stuff downloaded via the Windows store or Xbox app/web shop (probably why this section is linked to the Microsoft account). I'd be happy if MS would autoupdate my other software on my PCs, most software internal autoupdater suck and/or want you to install toolbars or chrome or other shit. the windows update process on the other hand stays in the background and does it's thing.

Oh - you're the one then... Me? I rip AutoUpdate out of every OS and every piece of s/ware I have once I have it working how I, not MS, want it.  As far as I'm concerned they (MS, Google, Apple and the rest of the sumbags) can go f**k themselves. If they want data they can damn well pay me for it or sit on this extended digit and swivel.

Well I dont agree with MS having the ability to do what they want with your machine .. But I am all for them deleting any Pirate software - So long as it is actually pirate software :

I hope they are 100% competent with this, and do not go accidently deleting a GOG installation which has no DRM, or a copy of a game installation folder, where the game company has provided a No Steam .exe to enable you to do this having multiple instances of a game setup for modding purposes ( for example Egosofts official X3 Albion Prelude NoSteam.exe download, which allows me to have an XRM setup, an XTC setup, and a vanilla X3AP setup )

Maybe it is just related to Microsoft software and the XBox setup, some of it is a bit vague.

But anyway if they do start nailing actual pirate software, that can only be a good thing for the industry imho, piracy is theft no matter how anyone tries to justify it, also good for mod authors not having the nagging doubt that a users problems are actually nothing to do with your mod at all but really are due to the pirate software throwing up unexpected problems.

Bye Bye pirates and users hiding issues derived from machines full of malware, and games code altered in unexpected ways.

Edit : It may also only be if you have a Microsoft Account ( instead of just a Local account ) - I can well understand the need for them doing that too .. If you have all of Microsofts Windows 10 default settings, by default your Cloud storage will include the pirate software and settings for the same ( depending on where you have it installed ), legally that would be bad if Microsoft was seen to be helping you to look after your pirate software and storing it on their servers.

I don't have any pirated software either - haven't for... God... 20 years now :P

That said, I think deleting arbitrary data from a user's machine like that crosses a line they have no authority to cross. Even for their own software. How do they know for sure what they just ripped out of your PC was actually stolen?

The really bad issue here is the lumping of "unauthorized hardware" into the mix. What the hell does that even mean? Who decides what hardware is unauthorized? Do they mean hardware the person shoplifted from the store or something else? This really is not something they should be trying to regulate at all.

The more I hear, the more "it's free" sounds like bait for a trap.

Neither have I - it's the way they've gone about it. Wouldn't surprise me if the Feds (over there) and the EU (over here) eventually wake up to the shit which law-abiding citizens are being subjected to. Hopefully before we (Brits) tell the EU to go screw and we vote to leave what we should never have joined in the first place.

</rant - sorry about that ;)>

I've always thought that "it's free" was a lure to a trap, so nothing has really changed for me. Except that now I know it for sure :P

I think the unauthorised hardware is probably to do with multiple platforms capabilities of windows, and being installed on / synced with Mobile Phones for example. The EULA has to also cover the most exploitable communications computers which are easily jail broken, which now get tied into anyones Microsoft Account and sync with your PC <head in the> Cloud data.

There are a lot more aspects to this than just PCs now.

All that synced personal data ripe for the Apple Pickers on the streets to go picking out of the hands of mobile zombies totally distracted from anyone around them. People are so gullible these days, especially with technology and the tyranny of default settings.

I still think that line is mostly aimed at jailbraked xbones and the Software running on it. To me it sounds like they want to spot those machines and lock them out of xbox live.

If they would want to use that clause for anything else, well, they would have to collect all the data about all installed software on a machine. If they were doing that, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to tell anyone. Surely they would not spoil that surprise on protecting someone elses intellectual property. They may use it to invalidate illegal copies of win 10, that try to connect to the update servers, i'd guess

Not sure if this is news to you guys, but Microsoft has changed its eula to enable it to disable pirated software and unauthorised peripherals.

I saw your edit, but even that still sounds a bit exaggerated.  Basically every article just copied the same FUD from the original article until actual journalists started looking into it.

The text is taken from the Microsoft Services Agreement, not the Windows 10 EULA.  It not explicitly mentioning Windows 10 is also meaningless because the Microsoft Services Agreement lists exactly what services it applies to (Windows 10 is not included).  Most applicably, Xbox Live and "Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft".   If someone is dumb enough to pirate a Microsoft game and go online with it or let it be seen by whatever kind of app Microsoft uses to house its games (like Steam/Origin) then they deserve to have it be disabled.

The whole thing is overblown.  This mostly seems to apply to Xbox One, especially the stuff about unauthorized peripherals.  People have already been reporting getting kicked off of Live for using modified / third-party controllers.  Which is more than fair, considering being competitive should not include cheating.

Anyway, the original headline "Microsoft can disable your pirated games and illegal hardware" is just plain FUD.  IGN's headline is even worse ("Windows 10 Can Search for and Disable Pirated Games").  PCGamer's is better but still not factually proven ("Windows Can Disable Pirated Microsoft Games").

I don't have any pirated software either - haven't for... God... 20 years now :P

That said, I think deleting arbitrary data from a user's machine like that crosses a line they have no authority to cross. Even for their own software. How do they know for sure what they just ripped out of your PC was actually stolen?

The really bad issue here is the lumping of "unauthorized hardware" into the mix. What the hell does that even mean? Who decides what hardware is unauthorized? Do they mean hardware the person shoplifted from the store or something else? This really is not something they should be trying to regulate at all.

The more I hear, the more "it's free" sounds like bait for a trap.

Just wait until they start charging you $200 for the privilege of being assfucked.

...I think deleting arbitrary data from a user's machine like that crosses a line they have no authority to cross. Even for their own software. How do they know for sure what they just ripped out of your PC was actually stolen?

I have to agree that they are crossing the line with that too. The definition of "unauthorized software" is broad enough that it leaves room for a strong chance of abuse on Microsoft's part. While I am firmly against piracy of software - this move in my personal opinion is just an "additional" invasion of privacy for Windows users.

Of course it is. Just look at the recent releases. The last "true" PC OS was XP, 7 intoduced stuff we didn't want and didn't need and still managed to remove stuff we DID need FFS. Fortunately most of it can be killed. 8 I never touched - about on a par with Vista. 10 I of course will never even think about touching. I have a PC - not a tablet, not a Phone - a PC - and I want a no-holds (read: access) barred PC OS that I can control, not some faceless feckers in some dingy MS office.