Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

Follow the linked procedure in post #100

( Save your current theme in Windows 10 first then you have a theme to go back to )

Then grab this theme file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86040572/New%20Spruce%20Win%2010%20Theme.7z

( its the one I am using )

Extract it and double click to use the Classic based theme I have which has also a cream background to a lot of dialogue boxes

( I find its better on the eyes ).

Afterwards you can use Personalize ( right click desktop ) to change the highlighting colour which affects the Title and edges

Edit : Wrye Bash looks like the following with the above theme :

wqpCl1b.jpg

Edit 2 : I think it is still possible to change the details of themes, but its not obvious or easily accessible with any kind of windows UI

From what I have seen its very limited, and I can imagine those sites with custom themes you pay for the privilege of using or have some kind of advertisement plugins installed ( via the new Start Tiles for example ) will be making the most of this OS.

Even windows own themes are limited, making users seek out the MS Store and .. well you know the rest, sign in with your Microsoft account etc etc.

Anything they can squeeze out of being attractors for people to use the cloud features and the MS account are going to be exploited now that the OS is free. Similar to the old Card games shifting to MS Store, and not being installed by default anymore, its more stuff to get hooks into people data ...

Idea for a default desktop background - Warning horror content

hellraiser5.jpg?w=450&h=252

wanna see some screenshots of libreoffice 5.0, which has just been released?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/libreoffice-5-0-arrives-on-august-5-here-s-what-s-new-488285.shtml

sadly, i have a feeling that microsoft can get away with a lot of shady themes, if this is the biggest open source competition as far as office suites are concerned.

imho, releasing with a default gray theme, is that supposed to go along nicelly with my keyboard and NES console or what? nothing is gray around my computers any more (unless we count MgAl alloys). i got to admit, a nice looking UI at this day and age is a bigger selling point to me, than the question of which program launches a few milliseconds faster.

not liking a lot of things i hear about win 10, and definately will wait a few more months to make the switch, but currently i see nothing i would prefer as a replacement...

Holy hell this is a nice release. I use this every day for my job but didn't realize there was a new major release available. Thanks!

Yeah reference that Link - I would just like to point out that LibreOffice has its own website and ( more importantly ) .. Better download links which will not be subject to any installer injections by third parties - I dont know if Softpedia do that, but recently a very trusted site SourceForge turned evil in that regard so depending on the economics third party download sites regularly add hidden extras to installers which install by default

Use original home sites ( unless they are also evil :P )

LibreOffice site http://www.libreoffice.org/

gallery_1652_58_55714.jpg

Looks and works great on my Win 10 setup

But also I do believe they have now fully eradicated any legacy runtime Java dependancy it used to have when it was OpenOffice ( LibreOffice was forked away from OpenOffice due to some questionable decisions the old project had made with regards to Open source projects ), for a long time they have been working on getting rid of that, and now there are no Java related settings left in the UI ( or none that I can find anyway - And the proof in the pudding is .. I dont have Java Runtime installed, and everything works fine ).

Just been having a good look at the How-To-Geek site, and see what he has covered so far ..
.. Its pretty good : Going to add this lot to the OP

When installing Windows 10

Highly recommend NOT accepting windows Express settings when Win 10 installs, use Custom instead

Dont enter or create a Microsoft account, you will be offered to use a Local account instead
It's strongly recommended to use a local account with Windows 10.
You can do it while the "Make it yours" screen appears by clicking "Skip this step". After that it's safe to follow instructions.
For creating Local accounts after installation ( for other users of the same machine ) :

Something many people never look into, but with the new OS you are well advised to

Maybe you have noticed your internet slowed down a little since installing Win 10
A lot of the above are going to affect that, but also ...

A few more tips along the same lines as the above :

Right click your Start Button
Now you can select the old Control Panel which has a lot more options to look into especially in classic mode
Such as the new Flash Player settings manager ( and I think going through the old control panel is the only way you will be able to access this )

Theres a whole heap of stuff the Right click menu opens, have fun being nosy

The following will stop cloud services .. And it would have to be restarted via the Services manager ( type Services.msc in Start Menu / All Apps / Windows System / Run ) - If you are happy with that :
In the SysTray ( bottom righ hand side of windows near the clock ) click the arrow to open up the hidden systray Apps
OneDrive - Right click it, choose settings, go to the first tab and untick it from starting up with windows. Apply and Close the settings.
Then right click the OneDrive systray App again and choose exit

Also - Those flip-flopping start menu Apps, like weather and news etc - They are using bandwidth too - Right click it, "Turn Live Tile Off", then right click and "Unpin from Start" to remove it. Rinse and repeat for all of them and then go to All Apps and drag n drop some useful programs onto the tiles instead like Calculator, Run and Task Manager for example.

Lastly keep an eye on developments here https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

All of the above settings are reversible - My advice is to set everything to off, initially so that the horse does not bolt through the gate as soon as windows gets internet connection ( pretty much straight after installation ) .. Then you can allow things at your leisure as required and after you have had time to think about them.

People who upgraded from Win 7 or 8 will be worst affected by the data grab initially, because all of your accumulated data from the old OS including all your documents, internet history, email content etc will be uploaded to the cloud and scrutinised for advertising purposes gathering information about you, your habits, and your friends associations / influences with you. Nothing we havent seen before with various other things like facebook, but now its at the OS level so potentially a lot more personal.

If you are admin, on a machine with multiple users - Rinse and repeat all the above for each account .. Yes I know its a huge PITA, I just had to do the same on our family machine.

But performance of the machine seriously benefits from taking the above steps.
( Yes, even in comparison to Windows 7 which I thought was pretty good, get Win 10 tamed and it performs really well )

Dont forget to install Win 10 compatible graphics drivers, more than likely your old ones became disabled and a generic windows one will be in use instead.

"Lastly keep an eye on developments here https://github.com/1...ableWinTracking"

I wonder how quickly this application will be blacklisted by antivirus apps ;)

"because all of your accumulated data from the old OS including all your documents"

Install a fresh W 7\8, and then upgrade to W10

:), Windows Defender not approving of it being on your machine ( because MS blacklisted it, not because its malware - Seen that happen before when Windows Defender was called Microsoft Security Essentials ) .. Right now Defender has not said anything about it, and Malwarebytes gives it a clean bill of health

I want to share a different perspective on the whole cloud thing: I got a microsoft account 4 months after getting my first win 8 device and 1 month after getting a second (-"screen", it doubles as my tablet). I now also run a windows 8 phone.

I've had computers break during the writing of my thesis and setting everything up again and searching through several folders on several usb drives to see how much work i lost and which drive hosts the newest version was not fun. Onedrive looked very promising with that in mind. It syncs in the background and hardly seems to interfere when surfing (same with win updates on win 8+ btw). I put a lot of data in there, i pray their servers are encrypted though.

I also grew attached to the syncing of more internal stuff like settings and background pictures and the like, because it keeps several devices in sync.

And even the more shady stuff has it's benefits. Say syncing your browser history. The benefit for Microsoft is surely ad-related mostly. The immediate benefit for me is opening tabs from one device on another.

The real benefit though is this: I can delete by search and browser history online and it will be cleaned on each device and the cloud as seen by the empty new tab page e.g. If any of my devices get stolen, i can revoke all access to my data for that device. By the time someone breaks into my device, i can already have changed the password online, cleaned my data and revoked all access for said device.

If that device ever sees an internet connection again (and in fact, as a smartphone it may still be connected to the Internet before a thief gets access), all local data is deleted.

They may steal my devices, but they can not steal my online data. Punch line: Because it was already stolen by MS and the NSA.

In the end it's a trade between being scanned for terroristic activity and advertising potential vs Data security (loss and theft) and synchronisation (saves time with new and multiple devices).

Btw: Emails are scanned anyway by whoever sends and gets your emails. And by that i mean the companies behind your mail address.

I get where you are coming from with that, and for those that need it the facilities are good ( well they are until some hacking crew finds out how to exploit them which we will no doubt not find out about until years later when a hacking crew gets hacked, or the NSA / GCHQ are done with the method )

For me though, machine with local account plus external USB HD as backup means anyone thieving this material physically has to get hold of it, and the law would be forced to pursue its physical theft .. Whereas online pursuing will never work. Too many grey legal areas and borders crossed.

Edit : And not forgetting 3000 line EULAs agreed to which may affect the legal pursuit

Btw: Emails are scanned anyway by whoever sends and gets your emails. And by that i mean the companies behind your mail address.

Not with end to end encryption, any really personal emails I value do not go via any unencrypted routes / hops / server hard drives enroute, and the only vulnerability is the end machines where the email is decrypted. Windows in that regard has now become a threat.

Edit : Although .. I guess, this would only be if you are using microsoft software to handle emails.

I wonder how quickly wake up W10 users who have limited Internet. (transfer limit)
When W10 starts sending out updates to other users. (unless this only works locally)

I wonder how quickly wake up W10 users who have limited Internet. (transfer limit)

When W10 starts sending out updates to other users. (unless this only works locally)

Win10 doesn't share updates over limited connections. Of course most pleople will not know how to set their connection to that. Most will not even know about the share feature. It's sad, because with the right setting this feature might save some bandwidth for those with limited internet. Sadly this setting is not the standard setting

Yeah dial up will be a pain :)

Those weather and news apps in the start menu needing constant updates

The windows updates themselves can be configured ( Updates and Security / Windows Update / Advanced options / Choose how Updates are Delivered ) to be shared by everyones machines on the internet configured the same way ( acting a bit like a torrent net ), or shared by LAN computers only, or not shared at all.

When configured not shared at all they still come down the pipe as quick as they do any other way for me. I tested that aspect with different configs on the four machines we have in house here.

As if our internet connections weren't slow enough already. Yet another strike against Windows 10 for me. :troll:

And I am almost a god in Windows 10...

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it like so:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

EDIT

It also works with Windows 7 \ 8

Nice :)

Also for any Firefox users - Apparently v40 is the first to start adapting to Win 10, I dont know what has changed apart from a few graphical tweaks in case you use it on a touch screen, but also v39(point something) just before v40 fixed a zero day exploit which was quite bad and it is recommended you urgently update to at least this version.

Updated the OP, included a lot of things mentioned so far ( and edited a bit )

Also included a new site link https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Which aswell as including a lot of what has been said already in other links, has additional info for changing Edge default setup for anyone likely ( or even occasionally ) to use it.

Nice :)

Also for any Firefox users - Apparently v40 is the first to start adapting to Win 10, I dont know what has changed apart from a few graphical tweaks in case you use it on a touch screen, but also v39(point something) just before v40 fixed a zero day exploit which was quite bad and it is recommended you urgently update to at least this version.

Anyone remember how the Mozilla CEO moaned, that it was too complicated for users to set their standard browser in Win10? saying you need twice as many clicks now, which actually meant you need to click twice now ^^, and it's actually a security feature, where all those tool bars can no longer change all your standard settings on their own, but the old API now just reroots to opening the new standards page in win10, where you have to make the change consciously).

now here's the twist:

http://www.golem.de/news/windows-10-firefox-40-modifiziert-ungefragt-die-systemweite-websuche-1508-115749.html

(it's in german)

once you DO set the FF as your standard browser and have version 40 installed, they found a way to automatically change your search engine to google (I think the chosen engine depends on your country, yahoo in US?). not the one in the browser, the system wide engine, the one in the task bar (that's not a bad feature in and off itself, but activating it, changing the system beyond what happens within the actual browser, without informing anyone during installation?... you can change it back afterwards, sure... but...)

yeah well, there was but one reason to use FF: they don't try to pull despicable shenanigans. guess those times are behind us. good bye FF, hello Edge.

MSE was a better coded than Defender and far more user-friendly. Glad they brought it back.

What the heck- going to hang on to the MS account for the sake of "convenience". Albeit as hackable as any other account I guess.

Wouldn't mind MS using my data on their own products as much as them selling it on to 3rd party spammers.

What the heck- going to hang on to the MS account for the sake of "convenience". Albeit as hackable as any other account I guess.

the two factor authentication and log-in IP history + warnings (they actually sent me a warning mail to my google account, that I registered as 2nd factor during my holidays, pressing me to check whether the logins were legit. which they were, i was just in a different country during holidays. same happened the other way around btw.) look top notch, definitely up there among the best next to a google account. I can only recommend to anyone who uses such an account, to log in on the web client and check all the settings. setting up a mobile number as the second factor for a password change is one such good thing for example

as for selling the data to spammers: as long as they don't start outsourcing their online advertising, I hope we may be save from that. same with google or amazon actually. it allways kind of puts me at ease, knowing, that the company is trying to profit on the collected data on their own :D

This probably will not tickle everyones fancy, but it gave me a little surprise :

Windows 10 now recognizes and makes thumbnails for .dds files

pPY3ijL.jpg