Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Windows 10, by default, has permission to report a huge amount of data back to Microsoft. By clicking through "Express Settings" during installation, you allow Windows 10 to gather up your contacts, calendar details, text and touch input, location data, and a whole lot more. The OS then sends it all back to Microsoft so that it can be used for personalisation and targeted ads.

And now you know why it's free. The old saying "there is always a catch" has once again been validated.

:bunny: YES !  :bunny:

NVidia have done one last reference driver update for old laptop graphics card, which is Windows 10 compatible

That would have been the last hurdle to overcome somehow otherwise.

For anyone else with an old NVidia Graphics card - Have a search here :

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Just click the boxes in the Manual Driver Search section for your card, Windows 10 ( 32 bit or 64 bit )

And you should find - Reference Drivers version 341.74

Supported Products :

GeForce 400M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 405M

GeForce 300M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce GTS 360M, GeForce GTS 350M, GeForce GT 335M, GeForce GT 330M, GeForce GT 325M, GeForce GT 320M, GeForce 320M, GeForce 315M, GeForce 310M, GeForce 305M

GeForce 200M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce GTX 285M, GeForce GTX 280M, GeForce GTX 260M, GeForce GTS 260M, GeForce GTS 250M, GeForce GT 240M, GeForce GT 230M, GeForce GT 220M, GeForce G210M, GeForce G205M

GeForce 100M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce GTS 160M, GeForce GT 130M, GeForce GT 120M, GeForce G 110M, GeForce G 105M, GeForce G 103M, GeForce G 102M

GeForce 9M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 9800M GTX, GeForce 9800M GTS, GeForce 9800M GT, GeForce 9800M GS, GeForce 9700M GTS, GeForce 9700M GT, GeForce 9650M GT, GeForce 9650M GS, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 9600M GS, GeForce 9500M GS, GeForce 9500M G, GeForce 9400M G, GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9300M GS, GeForce 9300M G, GeForce 9200M GS, GeForce 9100M G

GeForce 8M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 8800M GTX, GeForce 8800M GTS, GeForce 8800M GS, GeForce 8700M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GS, GeForce 8400M GT, GeForce 8400M GS, GeForce 8400M G, GeForce 8200M G, GeForce 8200M

ION (Notebooks)
ION

ION LE (Notebooks)
ION LE

Quite recently the last couple of NVidia driver updates before Windows 10 my old GeForce 8600M GS card fell off the end of the list of supported graphics cards, but thankfully it seems they have probably realised that would stop a lot of people being able to update to Win 10 with old cards in laptops.

I just updated all other machines in the house today, and was dreading trying Win 10 on my own laptop until I found out about this :D

Edit : Fingers crossed its a good set of drivers  :scared:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

And now you know why it's free. The old saying "there is always a catch" has once again been validated.

Don't worry, they'll vacuum up your data after it stops being free too, I promise :troll:

Welp, I just took the plunge and upgraded. Holy was it ever worth it, everything runs way better now. Still needs a bit of tweaking so I don't sell my soul without any interest, but I think this could work.

Also quoting the first comment from here:

The 260 character limit and its impact on Microsoft

As a former MS developer and an active open source developer, I have to say that the 260 character limit is one of the biggest problems limiting Windows use by developers - and it grows worse every day. In my group of very good developers in Redmond as our project grew, we spent ever increasing time and energy dealing with the long path issue. As systems have grown in scope the real world now contains an unlimited number of instances of data in a hierarchy much deeper than this silly limit. Github and NPM are now the leading repositories for code - but as a Windows developer these are now a minefield. Workarounds with subst and UNC paths do not even come close to matching the hassles associated with this issue. The year is 2015 and Windows 10 still fails. My OpenDrive regularly fails because the restore path is longer on one machine than another. Non-Microsoft developers ridicule Windows and increasingly, I find myself agreeing with these criticisms. As time goes on, the space of data with deep paths will increase to the point that Windows will simply not be an option for serious developers. The argument on compatibility has grown hollow. This has to stop.

Funny how some things never change.

Edit: Knocked back in 2013, looks like at least until 2020 with it.

Windows 10, by default, has permission to report a huge amount of data back to Microsoft. By clicking through "Express Settings" during installation, you allow Windows 10 to gather up your contacts, calendar details, text and touch input, location data, and a whole lot more. The OS then sends it all back to Microsoft so that it can be used for personalization and targeted ads.

Yes, it was obvious from the beginning to me when I first heard it was "free" that there was a catch and this is a big fat ugly one. As if the federal government spying program isn't enough, now Microsoft is giving them yet more free reign and reasons to spy on us. The more I'm hearing about Windows 10, the less likely I will ever purchase a product from M$ again if all they want is to have ultimate control over their customers.

wanna see some screenshots of libreoffice 5.0, which has just been released?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/libreoffice-5-0-arrives-on-august-5-here-s-what-s-new-488285.shtml

sadly, i have a feeling that microsoft can get away with a lot of shady themes, if this is the biggest open source competition as far as office suites are concerned.

imho, releasing with a default gray theme, is that supposed to go along nicelly with my keyboard and NES console or what? nothing is gray around my computers any more (unless we count MgAl alloys). i got to admit, a nice looking UI at this day and age is a bigger selling point to me, than the question of which program launches a few milliseconds faster.

not liking a lot of things i hear about win 10, and definately will wait a few more months to make the switch, but currently i see nothing i would prefer as a replacement...

Gruftlord thanks for the heads up reference LibreOffice 5 - I have it installed now and it really is the best version yet.

-------------

Windows 10 .. I'm a convert.

Lots of stuff needs tamed, but there isnt anything you cant switch off ( When installing Win 10 dont let it do the Express setup, get the options to switch all that rubbish off - This can be done afterwards aswell, but then windows will already be having a ball uploading as much as it can to the cloud if you have let it, not only that but its a bit of a bandwidth hog by default )

Settings, Privacy, off to everything - And after a few windows updates, revisit them to switch off even more crap

My Hard drive light and WIFI busy indicator are now back to their usual, barely any activity that I am not expecting to be happening.

Theres a lot of tiles doing flip flop animations and cartwheels in the Start menu by default too, all of that can be deactivated with a right click and also removed ( Unpinned ), to be replaced by useful things from the "All Apps" list, like Run, Calc, Command Prompt ( which you can still elevate with a right click )

FNQbkF4.png

I'm comfortable with it already. So long as you dont use a Microsoft account, and just use a Local Account like we always have, then a lot of what Cortana and the OneDrive service try to do become useless because they need you to be using a Microsoft Account for them to work.

That OneDrive service too will be an Icon in your SysTray ( Bottom right of windows, you might have to expand the Arrow to see it ) - If you right click it and choose settings, you can get it to not auto start when windows loads.

If you have a machine with multiple user accounts ( local accounts ) .. Standby for lots of redoing all the above  :scared:

The only downside I dont like to Win 10 is not having so much control over what installs with Windows Updates

The rest is easily tamed with a bit of finding where things are at now.

Oh and if you want to see filename extensions, open an explorer window, and expand the view ribbon at the top, on one of those tabs you can put a tick in a box to see dot three letter extensions

--------------------

Those NVidia Reference Drivers mentioned earlier for older graphics cards on laptops .. Working great for all games here :)

Edit : Forgot to mention, the Search window, when its up, if the default of it searching the web is as annoying as it was for me - Click the Gear Icon so you can switch of the Web Search, and just have it search your machine.

This may not work initially, but there have been some updates since which sort out that problem of not being able to access the Gear icon, so just wait for windows to update and give it another shot later.

To follow MadCats Nostalgia time ( link to the old Pinball which works on Win 10 http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-7-3d-pinball-space-cadet-game/ )..Have a look at the following site

http://petr.lastovicka.sweb.cz/indexEN.html

Click the Games link, then grab XM Solitaire.

Win 10 got rid of the card games unless you get them from MS Store via a Microsoft Account - XM Sol has loads of Solitaire variations, challenging, and all graphics are replaceable with a little work with .bmp's in Paint.NET :).

No ad / malware ( unlike sourceforge card games ), and it works great on Win 10

m7LWSDx.jpg

Its in a zip, just extract it where you want to play it from ( portable ), and right click / send icon to desktop

Anyone out there got problems with Windows 10 Search Box searching the web ?

.. or rather, problems getting to its settings to switch it off ?

Normally ( and this worked for three of the machines in our house ) - Click the Search Bar ( or Icon depending on what you have set it to in the right click menu ), and the big window which opens up to show search results has a Gear icon on the left hand side of the results box

The Gear icon opens up search settings where you can switch off the Web search :

But we had one machine which just did nothing when clicking on the Gear Icon

And because its windows 10 premium ( not professional ), we did not have access to the Group Policy Editor ( gpedit.msc )

So could not get around the lack of a settings menu with that method either

Solution : A Registry hack

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001
"ConnectedSearchUseWeb"=dword:00000000
"ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections"=dword:00000000

Put the above in a file called Win10SwitchOffWebSearch.reg ( you can call it what you want, but the .reg is important, and also make sure you enable being able to see filename extensions - Any Windows 10 Explorer window, expand the ribbon at the top, go to the View tab, put a tick in the box for "File Name Extensions" )

And then double click it to install the registry keys.

Sign out of windows, log back in and have a look at your search bar which will no longer say "Search the Web and Windows", it will just say "Search Windows"

Heres the file already made, and it worked for our multi-user setup desktop which was the problem machine for us.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86040572/Win10RegKeysHacks.7z

Extract the archive with 7Zip or WinRAR, and just double click the files, say yes to the windows prompt

-------------------

There are a couple more reg keys in the zip too, Win 10 has a Dark and Light theme for App backgrounds ( Like the Windows 10 Calculator, or the background on the new look Settings screen )

Double click the Dark one to set it to Dark, and the other one to put it back to the default normal colour

gallery_1652_58_7756.png

I didnt explain that last post very well - The thing with the search box is, by default it searches the Web ( instead of the old expected behaviour of just searching the machine ) ..

So to set that so it does not search the web ( yeah I know I didnt make that clear in my last post - now amended ), you should be able to access the Gear Icon in the big search box ..

.. In some cases ( as explained it happened on just one of our machines out of the four we have ) you cant.

gallery_1652_58_26791.jpg

My last post is for the benefit of anyone else with the same problems as described ( not able to access the Gear Icon and also not able to use gpedit.msc - So Registry hack provided to do the same job of turning off the web search ).

It will be of no use for most people, although I did notice that disabling the Web Search with those registry keys also switches off Web Search for ALL users on the same machine ( if you are admin, and have multiple Local Accounts .. All Local Accounts are affected by this change :) ) - I think ordinarily if you can use the Gear Icon, turning off web search that way only does it for the account you are on.

For me W10 confirmed that >> Give people something for free and they will "rejoice in" as bald with a comb. <<

And we know how much bald need a comb.

If nothing changes in what M$ did with W10, will not be possible to get rid of spies.
Windows 7 will be the last operating system from M$ which I use.
Sad what happens to M$ and Windows.

eh? never heard of those. are they more useful than regular copy and cut? as it is, I find the right click context menu clutters too fast already.

eh? never heard of those. are they more useful than regular copy and cut? as it is, I find the right click context menu clutters too fast already.

Both of them open up a dialogue box to browse to where you want to Copy or Move the selected items to ..

The dialogue box also remembers where you Copied or Moved anything to the last time you used it, so for example my dialogue box for move to is constantly set at ~Path to~Bash Installers\ :)

So if I right click a new mod zip, choose Move To, all I do is click Okay because I know it will be going to the same folder as last time.

They have worked for me reliably in Windows XP - Vista - Windows 7 - Windows 8 - and now Windows 10 too.

( Personally tested all of those OS with these Registry hacks )

I see. I usually just keep several explorers open, or for stuff I use very often, I favorite it (judging from your picture, it's now called quick access in win10) or put a link to the folder on desktop; and then use drag and drop

bump: may I ask a rather low level win 10 question: the window borders, how do they behave? I thought in win 10 they were just 1 pixel wide black borders with a bit of drop cast shadow, but on some of your screens I see what looks like win 8 rims with automatic color matching to the background (that turquoise green in your case).

and also isn't that dark calculator the default one? I thought win 10 came with a default dark theme.

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-build-9926-includes-a-redesigned-calculator-app/

In addition to the registry hacks in post #89 :

Here's a couple more which still work in Windows 10

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86040572/CopyToMoveTo-RegHacks.7z

These are the "Copy To", and "Move To", right click context menu additions.

gallery_1652_58_91126.jpg

@Alt That Onedrive pidl sitting there must be an annoyance to a non MS account holder. Is there a way to remove it, or get it outa sight at least?

bump: may I ask a rather low level win 10 question: the window borders, how do they behave? I thought in win 10 they were just 1 pixel wide black borders with a bit of drop cast shadow, but on some of your screens I see what looks like win 8 rims with automatic color matching to the background (that turquoise green in your case).

and also isn't that dark calculator the default one? I thought win 10 came with a default dark theme.

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-build-9926-includes-a-redesigned-calculator-app/

For the all white "MY EYES!" default windows colour scheme, I chose to use the following method to change it

http://www.howtogeek.com/222831/how-to-get-colored-window-title-bars-on-windows-10-instead-of-white/?PageSpeed=noscript

For the Apps theme, the way windows upgraded my setup I ended up with the light colour theme for Apps backgrounds, and had to use the Dark registry hack to change it. But both keys are included in the zip I posted, so you can change back and forth.

Edit : Reference the borders - Previously because I went from Win 7 with quite a few Classic themes ( to save on VRAM use ), I could use those as base themes for a new msstyles setup not named aero .. So achieving some of what I have as windows colours may be very awkward to achieve ( I have not found a way to access the old Windows Classic mode editor yet, where you could select windows elements, title bars / fonts / backgrounds etc etc and change them to your hearts desire )

Its probably accessible via a run comand.

@Alt That Onedrive pidl sitting there must be an annoyance to a non MS account holder. Is there a way to remove it, or get it outa sight at least?

Doesnt bother me because I know the service it needs is disabled and not allowed to run at Windows startup.

When you click on it the expansion arrow gets removed, because there is no storage to show .. There probably is a reg setting somewhere to not show it - Will get there eventually :)

In your SysTray you will have a OneDrive Icon that is by default in the hidden SysTray apps ( expand the arrow ), right click on it to get to its settings and disable loading with windows, then right click it again to exit ..

.. Bye bye one drive cloud and any potential to upload all your data. A lot of the Privacy options become disabled by this, but personally I went through all the Privacy options first to ensure everything was switched off, then disabled the SysTray app and its service.

Cortana depends on this aswell, so without it fails to do a lot of what it would like to do. Also disabled on my setup.

In my setup, there is not one setting in all the Privacy options left on, they are all off - But watch for windows adding things to the lists, and windows updates doing the same ( they also come back like a bad penny if you uninstall some of windows features, so again pop up in privacy options .. by default set to on ).