Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

..yes, because I'm paid to clean up on a forum that has a readership of 40. This doesn't even pass the *giggle* test. (I also don't even work for a software company!) As for healthy suspicion - no, this is paranoia.

You understood well enough what I meant then. If you think this is in any way funny you underestimate the effect of your words with the life experiences I have had and the effects those experiences have had on my family I had to defend on very uncommon ground through some very disturbing times.

Telling someone they have a mental illness publicly is not only uncalled for but bloody insulting in my case.

I have a right to defend against your insults, and you will apologise publicly, otherwise I will ask for the site to impose restrictions or a penalty on your activities here.

Edit : And lest we forget, Knakamura quoted my mention of Skype as the reason for my apparent paranoia - A bit of reading for parents.

I agree that "paranoia" is the not the correct word to use in this case; it can potentially come across as insulting even if that was not the intention. "Cautious" might be a more appropriate description of people who don't take Microsoft's word on everything like myself. We have every right to be suspicious just as other people have every right to be completely trusting of Microsoft's intentions.

From personal experience and after completing a five year college degree in business, I am well aware as to how big companies like Microsoft operate so it isn't unreasonable to have doubts about their intentions in my personal opinion. In the end it's up to the individual to make their own choice on what they feel is best suited for them and no one person or company has the right to make that decision for them even if they hold a monopoly in the market.

I agree that "paranoia" is the not the correct word to use in this case; it can potentially come across as insulting even if that was not the intention. "Cautious" might be a more appropriate description of people who don't take Microsoft's word on everything like myself. We have every right to be suspicious just as other people have every right to be completely trusting of Microsoft's intentions.

From personal experience and after completing a five year college degree in business, I am well aware as to how big companies like Microsoft operate so it isn't unreasonable to have doubts about their intentions in my personal opinion. In the end it's up to the individual to make their own choice on what they feel is best suited for them and no one person or company has the right to make that decision for them even if they hold a monopoly in the market.

Paranoia has a common usage, which is the word I mean. I didn't realize until I went and looked (now) that it was also a mental illness by itself.

And sure, yes. I have no problems with that. I just ask that people base it on rational dislike.

You understood well enough what I meant then. If you think this is in any way funny you underestimate the effect of your words with the life experiences I have had and the effects those experiences have had on my family I had to defend on very uncommon ground through some very disturbing times.

Telling someone they have a mental illness publicly is not only uncalled for but bloody insulting in my case.

I have a right to defend against your insults, and you will apologise publicly, otherwise I will ask for the site to impose restrictions or a penalty on your activities here.

Edit : And lest we forget, Knakamura quoted my mention of Skype as the reason for my apparent paranoia - A bit of reading for parents.

You may have noted that Microsoft probably doesn't want it, and it doesn't, because more and more countries are asking for local datacenters, which is actually more expensive for Microsoft to maintain (not to mention the very real possibility our court system might dictate that no matter where it's located, the companies have to turn over the data, which would cause their presence in non American markets to tank.). There's actually quite a bit of evidence to suggest that these abilities are actually something the tech companies are unhappy about. (A lot - your linked article suggests it.)

Uh.. The giggle test refers specifically to this: Straight Face Test. As for the mental illlness, no. I actually until now was entirely unaware it was considered an illness within itself. I apologize if my words were taken as accusing you of having a mental illness, but that is not at all what I meant.

Thank you

I am aware how microsoft wishes to disassociate the software they spent a fortune on acquiring from any negative public perception.

I'm running Windows 7 under Oracle's Virtual Box on my Mac and those updates you mentioned in the OP, alt, weren't even installed. I suspect the VM doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 10, so Windows update didn't install those patches.

I've removed those patches from my game machine. Hubby is going to run Windows 10. We'll see how it goes.

Hmm, it looks like it meets those specs, but who knows with VM's. I don't want Windows 10 on it anyway. :P

• 2 weeks later...

.... Or maybe it'll finally be time to go linux and not look back.

I've been running various linux distros since the turn of the century and in my experience having a linux distribution that matches your needs is much less of a hassle than Windows ever was/is. I started out as a command line user, then I had to use Windows at school/work, but it's always been somewhat a battle for me. In recent years Windows 7 has been useful for gaming, but linux is catching up :P

If you (or anyone) is thinking of giving linux a go, you can first try it on a liveCD to get the feel of the system and to confirm hardware support. As far as usability goes, linux has improved over the years and there's software for anything you want to do. Mint and Ubuntu variants are popular among first time linux users, but Arch is my personal favourite because of its configurability and the power it gives to the user. With Arch, you really are in control of everything your computer does. However, it also means that it's got bit of a steeper learning curve, but its wiki is excellent and forums active. Anyone able to read should be able to maintain Arch if it's the distribution they choose. 

Just curious: Has anyone here successfully setup a dual boot for W8-, or even W7 with Linux or other?

I've had various dual-boot systems with several Windows versions (XP, 2000, Vista, 7; 32/64 bit) over a decade. They've all worked as they should. The only thing is that whenever you install a new Windows system onto a partition on a HDD with some linux variant(s) on it, you need to restore the boot loader as Windows overwrites it. I routinely have 3 OS on the same machine, though they may be on seperate HDDs. The most I've had at once I believe was 6 though that was because I was doing installation testing. They all worked fine. I've run various combinations of Windows, Debian, Arch, (*)Ubuntu, Fedora, and some I can't remember right now. I've also had multiple Windows installations on the same machine on occasion.

Yeah, but I think them doing it even to Pro versions is just plain bad. Evil even.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems Microsoft is now stepping up their attacks with this nagware thing. After doing a Windows Update check last night, I noted that 2 of the updates I had hidden that were for installing this nagware had become unhidden and refused to hide themselves again. Ok, fine, just don't install them, right?

WRONG!

I boot up this morning to find that the god damned thing installed BOTH of those updates AND a 3rd one that also has to do with this whole mess WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Now it won't let me get rid of them.

So far all it's doing is putting that damned icon on the systtray, but it's only a matter of time before it pulls the crap where it starts popping up in my face like it does for everyone else.

This company needs to die, like, now. We don't have time unfortunately to string them up and let them suffer. They need to be eliminated quickly. This is total bullshit. I don't even see how this could be legal for them to just install stuff I explicitly tried to block.

• Like 2

Agreed, they have gone too far IMO.  Microsoft doesn't own my personal computer usage.

It's time to either install WindowsXP or look for the latest Ubuntu or perhaps Feodora.

KB3035583 installs a folder to your Windows\System32 folder called GWX that contains the Windows 10 installer. If you delete that folder or delete the contents of the folder, it won't be able to install Windows 10 on your computer. I'm not sure if there is any side effects to doing this as I have not tried doing this myself because I don't have the update installed to test it. I'm also unsure as to what files KB2952664 installs so I can't help there.

I boot up this morning to find that the god damned thing installed BOTH of those updates AND a 3rd one that also has to do with this whole mess WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Now it won't let me get rid of them.

So far all it's doing is putting that damned icon on the systtray, but it's only a matter of time before it pulls the crap where it starts popping up in my face like it does for everyone else.

Same happened to me yesterday evening when I booted up my PC. Other people are right that this has gone way too far because I didn't consent to reserving a copy of Windows 10 - it did it on its own.

KB3035583 installs a folder to your Windows\System32 folder called GWX that contains the Windows 10 installer. If you delete that folder, it won't be able to install Windows 10 on your computer regardless. I'm not sure if there is any side effects to doing this as I have not tried doing this myself because I don't have the update installed to test it. I'm also unsure as to what files KB2952664 installs so I can't help there.

I did that after force closing GWX.exe with the Windows task manager and it seems to have kept the nagging pop-up from showing up for now. Pretty sure it will be back though at some point because M$ seems dead set on forcing this upon people.

You can also perform a registry edit to disable it. To do this, open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX and create a new 32-bit DWORD value called DisableGwx and set its value to 1.

Physically deleting the exe for it works just as well. Let it have its damn folder. That doesn't mean I need to keep the contents.

They really are pushing their limits with that one. Though do you guys get actual popups? I see the little icon in the corner, which i can't hide for long, but otherwise the installer remains silent for now. No popups.

The sad part is actually this: now that everyone is complaining about the forced updates in Win10, Microsoft is laughing in our face telling us, that it already smuggled a force installer into our older machines. Not the best move to appear trustworthy, not the slightest.

I have a trick which could help - I have tried the technique on other things before and it works really well .. but not on Microsofts Win 10 update mechanism - So use at your own risk ( I havent tried because I am letting the update go ahead before I decide to bin it, I have Win 7 on OS Disks to re-install for game setups and dual boot Linux afterwards which will be the only OS allowed online in that case ) :

First you need to ensure you untick "Hide Extensions for known File Types" in Control Panel Folder Options

KyffYq0.jpg

( if you dont you will not be able to rename a file with no dot extension, windows makes them automatically when they are hidden depending upon the file type being made )

Folders cannot be created if they already exist, you cannot create a folder with the same name in the same place :

So where you used to have a folder, create a file with the same name ( an empty foldername.txt will do )

Then rename the file to just foldername without the dot and three letter extension ( so delete the .txt from the name )

Windows will not allow a folder and file with exactly the same name either .. yeah yeah go away windows

CsVBi5I.jpg

Now anything which tries to install / download / save to that folder - will go to null / oblivion / sithis / the tooth fairy .. who cares it works :)

You just created a black hole for any files sent to that folder - because that file cannot function as a folder, and windows cannot create a folder of the same name .. Which the installation believes is already created.

So for GWX : Delete GWX folder, make a file called GWX.txt in the same location, rename it GWX as in the above screenshot, but in the following location ..

C:\windows\System32\GWX\ <-- Delete this Folder

becomes

C:\windows\System32\GWX <-- File

Now you dont need to periodically check if Get Windows 10 folder has been filled up again, windows cant put anything in it.

Note : To delete the GWX folder you may need to take ownership of the folder and its contents ..

.. and probably uninstall the windows updates first which are enforcing the setup ..

NuPxFyQ.jpg

A few more tips here including a registry key and a batch file someone did to remove the updates which are now four in number apparently http://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray

KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows

KB3022345 - Update to enable the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows

KB3035583 - Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

MS are probably doing the old "new version of an update" trick which circumvents people right clicking and hiding the updates, they did that with silverlight in the past so that it keeps coming back on the list of updates ..

Hence the folder null device above could prove useful. The GWX.exe Systray app is launched from that folder :)

Folders cannot be created if they already exist

Actually, you can create another folder if it already exist like this.

GWX

GWX.exe

Which are two different directories and I just did that on my system without Windows complaining about.

Actually, you can create another folder if it already exist like this.

GWX

GWX.exe

Which are two different directories and I just did that on my system without Windows complaining about.

Leo all you did there was create two differently named folders - You obviously do not understand what the trick is trying to achieve

Edit : Edited previous post #44 above for clarity and added pictures

For example - Create a file called GWX ( without any dot extension )

You are correct and I find myself corrected. :)

be careful, I just had update kb3035583 auto-unhide. and I installed by mistake... 

Have fun deliberately staying behind on an older OS. Also, yes, you're being pushed to auto updates. Do you how many people DON'T? Seriously. part of the problem with flash is that people *don't* update. Or their browsers.

So for GWX : Delete GWX folder, make a file called GWX.txt in the same location, rename it GWX as in the above screenshot, but in the following location ..

C:\windows\System32\GWX\ <-- Delete this Folder

becomes

C:\windows\System32\GWX <-- File

Now you dont need to periodically check if Get Windows 10 folder has been filled up again, windows cant put anything in it.

Microsoft isn't that dumb....

Have fun deliberately staying behind on an older OS.

Have fun being a sheep who questions nothing and won't fight for your consumer rights. That's the kind of lay down and take it attitude that brought us things like Steam, draconian DRM, subscription software, and forced OS updates.