The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

A question for the F4 Early adopters, all... couple.million or so of you. One of the hooks for F4 was that, it is(or is supposed to be) ~ twice the size of Skyrim. Has that turned out to be accurate, or an even reasonably accurate statement? I know about the radioactive wasteland area-which I gather is rather large-but also mostly empty space. 

Thoughts?

Size comparisons are stupid if the game doesn't share the same compression. Skyrim is a whole province, boston a city area with surroundings. Does it matter how long it takes you to cross the map? Or are you rather interested in the number of dungeons in each game? Enemy spawn points? Number of radiant quests? Number of skripted quests? Number of locations? Does it matter whether location density feels too dense or too sparse? Would the same density be appropriate for both games?

I bet none of those people who used the internet to lament about the "size" before release took any of this into account.

Comparison of world space's from FO3, FNV, SKY, FO4.

Red marking is an area on which we can move/play.

fAvxHx3.gif

Skyrim is a whole province, boston a city area with surroundings. Does it matter how long it takes you to cross the map? Or are you rather interested in the number of dungeons in each game? Enemy spawn points? Number of radiant quests? Number of skripted quests? Number of locations? Does it matter whether location density feels too dense or too sparse? Would the same density be appropriate for both games?

FO4 feels like a smaller (yet more polished) game with respect to all of these factors. To me, FO4 feels like only a slice of the game Bethesda wanted to make, and that most of the content was cut.

However, I have to admit that I've been to Diamond City only once. I have spent all of my time testing my mods in and around the Sanctuary Hills/Red Rocket/Wicked Shipping area.

So, my perspective is a bit colored by that narrow experience.

Well, based on InsanePlumbers interesting map, it appears Bethesda's marketing claim FO4 would be twice the size of skyrim, should have been taken with a (few) grains of salt no? Perhaps they should have said, It will be twice as large as Skyrim, (eventually) if we chose to release some really expansive DLCs in the future. The claim, twice as large, cannot be excused by saying things like, ya well, Boston is just a city, Skyrim a province. You see, that excuse has, well, nothing to do with Bethesda's claim. Nor does how polished or the relative lack of bugs at launch or any other factor enter into it either.  You see, 'twice as large as Skyrim' is a testable claim. Of course, they could always say they meant twice as much content I suppose, but that wasn't how I heard it.

The claim twice as large a world space, is not  a trivial one. It implies a playable area, at least equal to Skyrim AND Both DG and DB. Again, if plumbers map is anything to go by, it doesn't appear to even match Skyrim's size, let alone twice it.

But hey, that was i was asking about-not whether its 'fair' to compare a modern city to the province of Skyrim size wise. Not to worry though,  Im still gonna buy FO4 and any DL$$$ Bethesda pumps out no matter lazy or uninspired it is(or isn't).

I don't recall them ever claiming it was going to be "twice the size of Skyrim" though.

It certainly doesn't seem like it based on my impression of the in-game maps.

I don't recall them ever claiming it was going to be "twice the size of Skyrim" though.

It certainly doesn't seem like it based on my impression of the in-game maps.

In fact, Howard said Fallout 4's playable area would be around the same size as Skyrim's.

We don't actually measure it like that. Because Skyrim is one size, but the mountains take up a lot of space. That's not really a game place, it's in your way, you have to go around it, so we're not really doing that. In the city, it's very dense, but there is no load - like in Fallout 3, there's a load for areas of the city - we don't do that. So it's very dense, the buildings are tall, and a lot of them are open, so you can just walk in and around, so... it's big. I wouldn't say, you know, if you played Skyrim, I couldn't tell you it's X bigger, so we're just saying it's about the same size.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/e3/interviews/a654353/fallout-4-interview-todd-howard-talks-mods-in-game-building-and-map-size/

FO4 map is definitely the smallest one, comparable to Morrowind if we are talking about the raw size. But it also has that Morrowind's feature - map is packed with content on every step. So gameplay/exploring wise all games are more or less equal.

I don't recall them ever claiming it was going to be "twice the size of Skyrim" though

Bethesda's marketing claim FO4 would be twice the size of skyrim, should have been taken with a (few) grains of salt no?

I learned long ago that to what "Todd says," a bucket of salt is not enough.

FO4 map is definitely the smallest one, comparable to Morrowind if we are talking about the raw size. But it also has that Morrowind's feature - map is packed with content on every step. So gameplay/exploring wise all games are more or less equal.

In Fallout 4, you can also explore the world vertically with and without a jetpack.

In Skyrim, you'd find no content atop buildings, of which the tallest don't rival the tallest in Fallout 4, or you'd just fall through the world boundaries, or clip through a mesh and get stuck.

They could as well have counted in their internal measure: Grids.

Or in any other weird measure they felt like. Like i was trying to hint: It doesn't really matter and you could find all kinds of stuff that that "size" might have referred to

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they're still using the same standard cells as always, which are 4096x4096 units square. I haven't ever checked it, but one could use the "TB" console command and see if that turns on the cell borders. Then you'd know how large each cell is.

I learned long ago that to what "Todd says," a bucket of salt is not enough.

Also, its a bogus claim. Bethesda (or Todd) never marketed FO4 as "twice the size of Skyrim". At least I've never seen it, and its not like there was alot of marketing going on.

I find it quite offensive how so many bash Todd and the Bethesda studio as a whole, often based on rumours or wild speculation. Calling them liars or lazy, and even worse things.

I remember how some in the "community" treated mod authors during the paid mods fiasco and thinking how that is how Bethesda itself is treated all the time, not by everyone but certainly by a small vocal group.

Most of the times when people claim Bethesda has lied about this or that, if you do some research, you'll find out that the "lies" was all community rumors that had spread to such a degree that people took it as official claims. Other times, poorly written/translated articles by journalists in a hurry "helps" spread false claims. This happens all the time, with all developers.

• 3 weeks later...

DLC details are out at Bethesda.net (sorry, i'm on mobile and too lazy for links).

It looks like we will get a first wave of a small, medium and large dlc followed by a second wave later this year. All still for the price if 30 bucks if you preorder until march 1st.

First smaller dlcs revolve around looting and crafting and the big dlc adds a new land mass with a synth mystery story of sorts, that you can solve with Valentine.

Looks like a nice deal

The price increase on the Season Pass makes me glad I preordered it now. Definitely a cool first batch, and I won't get bit for the price hike either. I gather some people won't be too happy about the price going up in March :P

Bit vague on what they mean by "we're testing the CK" though. I guess we'll see.

Bit vague on what they mean by "we're testing the CK" though. I guess we'll see.

We cut out from "CK" what you can not have, and we checking if "CK" still working. :troll:

It's nice that the DLC will involve Nick Valentine.

I hope they fix "survival mode".

Wait, what? Judging by how they handled these releases before i was hoping that they were already doing some kind of closed hidden beta with respectable people such as you testing it under some NDA. At least it seems like this is how they approached the release of Skyrim's CK and the payed mods. Correct me if i'm wrong. judging by your current post it looks like you are not doing some secret testing atm...

They did NDA testing for Skyrim's CK, yes. There was no formal NDA for the paid mods last April, but yes, we were asked to keep that quiet and did.

If they're doing NDA testing on the FO4 CK, nobody is going to say anything about that. That's how NDA's work.

... Well, yes, of course...

i was just implying that i think that would you be under an NDA now, you would rather have said nothing at all (because you have been good at keeping the NDA stuff absolutely hidden in the past ;)), than write that line above; by which i conclude you are NOT testing the CK currently, and therefore there is no beta test yet (because how could they exclude you). *now we are missing a magic orb emoticon*

Of course this could all be an elaborate ruse, too.

guess only time will tell :P

p.s.: just bought the season pass, too.

In unrelated news, apparently Bethesda has payed the German government's Department for Media Harmful to Minors some thousands of euros, to have Fallout 3 reevaluated and ultimately unbanned ("baned" is too drastic a word, the ruling disallows open advertising and selling of violent games. now it is just filed as "regular" 18+ and will appear in stores). It is no wonder, that the ad/sales ban was lifted after reevaluation, since the rulings have eased up since the original release of FO3 (actually between the release of FO NV and its GOTY, hence the GOTY being uncut, while the original release of FO NV was cut). Still, few companies ever pay to have a game reevaluated this long after release, especially, since in 3 years iirc a free of charge reevaluation would have happened anyway.

Suffice is to say, speculations are running wild, what kind of renewed financial interest Bethesda might currently have in FO3

here's some english speaking link:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/17/11032054/bethesda-got-fallout-3-unbanned-in-germany-so-now-what

Interesting, I wonder if it's a precursor to putting it up on GoG, along with Oblivion. I can't think of much other reason to do that otherwise.