The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

First five minutes.  I know he's goofing off but the character creation is pretty amazing.  I can understand why maybe the lip animations are a bit bad if they have to be so general for such diverse faces.  It's nice that you can make hideous creations, which in Oblivion and Fallout 3 were pretty much the only options available.  This time you really have to work to mess them up.   :P

Anyway, I'd suggest not watching past 5 minutes if you don't want to know what happens in the prologue. 

Edit:  AVOID ALL YOUTUBE COMMENTS...  People are reporting that the top comments on some videos are mega spoilers.  They're intentionally spamming all forms of social media in order to ruin it for everyone else.   Best to just view these videos as an embed. 

Another one.  It's really awesome that you can have asymmetric features.  Does any other game's character creation allow for that?  I hope all of this applies to NPCs too.  Would mean the variety on NPCs can be insane.

You can see the asymmetric stuff when he switches to the female character.

Edit:  AVOID ALL YOUTUBE COMMENTS...  People are reporting that the top comments on some videos are mega spoilers.  They're intentionally spamming all forms of social media in order to ruin it for everyone else.   Best to just view these videos as an embed. 

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Yessssss:

Screen Space Reflections Tweaks

Using the in-game console, accessible with the tilde key (~), left of "1" on most keyboards, you can adjust a number of Screen Space Reflection (SSR) parameters to modify their appearance:

• SSRI [number] (default: 1): adjust the intensity of SSR
  • SSRBP [number] (default: 1): adjust the blending power of SSR
  • SSRAT [number] (default: 0.2): adjust the angle threshold of SSR
  • SSREFF [number] (default: 0.2): adjust the edge fade factor of SSR
  • SSRVBP [number] (default: 50): adjust the vertical blur power of SSR
  • SSRVAP [number] (default: 2): adjust the vertical alignment power of SSR
  • SSRVSP [0.0-1.0] (default: 0): adjust the vertical stretching power of SSR
  • SSRRSS [number] (default: 8): adjust the ray step scale of SSR

I was worried because I hadn't seen any options for SSR in the INI.  I thought SSR was way too weak and low quality, and faded too quickly.  Wonder if the options save themselves with the savegame though..     I mean it talks about the bat method, but AFAIK stuff like setting FOV was part of the save in Skyrim. 

There may be a way to just add it to the ini, like it was possible with certain settings in Skyrim.

Also: Damn, the internet is full of hype today, and i have little time and (too) slow internet to be gaming before tomorrow evening.

If it is not a fake, the format of plugins has changed. I don't see REFR signature there for modified reference.

I mean this one

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47/?

You could pop it open in Notepad++ and see if any of that makes sense to you, but yes, REFR is missing so "unlocking" the house may entail something other than directly modifying the door. Or it's just a broken plugin, the likes of which we've all been fearing would come.

Not gaming yet for the next 24 hours, just watching videos so far. Got myself spoilered about the first hour.

Technically, the game looks nice, no blocky artifacts on textures, but they do look a bit muddy up close (though i don't know how much of the finer detail is lost to Youtube compression).

While the lip animations indeed look a bit clunky as we feared, i have to say i really like the other animations. Gestures of people and attacks of radroaches, dogmeat, all that stuff. even the ragdolls made me go "wow".

keep your fingers crossed that my rig may will able to run it.

I'm three hours into the game, and it's great so far. Here are some screenshots of the FO4 folders.

http://abload.de/img/fo4_1gnsd8.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_2qusnq.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_39tsu9.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_4crsyg.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_5pvs96.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_6c3sda.jpg

http://abload.de/img/fo4_78isvs.jpg

The file "Fallout4.cdx" in \Data\ is further definied in the Fallout4.ini:

SCellResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4.cdx

Fallout4.esm ist 315 MB big.

Here we go again : the pinned thread named "A data vault of tweaks and fixes for the game" in the Steam Fallout 4 forum links to this thread in the Bethesda forum, where the author advises to change uGridsToLoad to 7 instead of 5...  :facepalm:  :wallbash: 

According to the source code of the .ba2 extractor, the offset is now 64 bits

struct FileEntry
	{
		UInt32	unk00;			// 00 - name hash?
		char	ext[4];			// 04 - extension
		UInt32	unk08;			// 08 - directory hash?
		UInt32	unk0C;			// 0C - flags? 00100100
		UInt64	offset;			// 10 - relative to start of file
		UInt32	packedLen;		// 18 - packed length (zlib)
		UInt32	unpackedLen;	// 1C - unpacked length
		UInt32	unk20;			// 20 - BAADF00D
	};

So indeed, .the BA2 itself can be 8 or 16 exabytes long now (providing you find both a hdd and a filesystem that supports that  :P )

However, the files inside the .BA2 still have a 32 bits limit in size. I guess no one expects a file inside .BA2 to be that big.

Yeah and then we found out that the texture BA2s were completely different...

It's really nice that they optimized their archive format for texture loading..  but it puts a big dent in the modding community, because the textures contained in the texture BA2 files are not really DDS files.  They're stored in a custom way without DDS headers, and there is no file to just extract to disk.   You have to actually piece together a DDS file from the custom layout.   Not to mention many of the textures use newer formats than DXT5 that there aren't really tools to edit.

When I say "we" I of course mean Ian, because he decoded everything so fast I contributed approximately 0.0% :P

Anyway, I wrote a GUI extractor yesterday:  B.A.E.

------

Speaking of technical things...

Man, I wish I could enjoy that game, I know it's awesome. Bethesda made it. Todd made it. But I cannot, I have 0% interest in post-apocalyptic themes. :(

Here we go again : the pinned thread named "A data vault of tweaks and fixes for the game" in the Steam Fallout 4 forum links to this thread in the Bethesda forum, where the author advises to change uGridsToLoad to 7 instead of 5...  :facepalm:  :wallbash: 

Did you expect otherwise? Despite years of telling people not to do this and providing evidence as to why, they simply choose to stick their fingers in their ears and cover their eyes so they can pretend nobody ever told them it was bad. Or worse, go on smear campaigns to malign the people who actually know what they're talking about.

Anyway, it's a 64 bit engine this time. Perhaps there's some glimmer of hope that it won't cause much of an issue now. Hahahahaha, who am I kidding? Papyrus dictates the results. They'll be just as bad when shit starts misfiring in the background long before it should.

Here is current List of  the top 10 titles on Steam.

443,400 445,546   Fallout 4

403,037 585,510   Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

380,228 765,504  Dota 2

47,719 61,359   Team Fortress 2

38,454 43,019   Call of Duty: Black Ops III

38,023 41,551  ARK: Survival Evolved

34,414 36,117   Football Manager 2015

33,636 35,165   Sid Meier's Civilization V

26,557 41,655  Grand Theft Auto V

24,885 27,023  The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

That's after one\two days. I haven't even bought it myself yet. Launch price is too expensive and Im planning on waiting for an official patch or two, but damn look at those numbers. Even bumped skyrim down the list which has been usually ranked 6 or 7 even after 4 years.

Nearly 450k@70-80 dollars per. Not bad for a couple days sales..

Note left: number is current, second number is peak.

keep your fingers crossed that my rig may will able to run it.

Well, I'm able to run it with my 7 years old rig : Q6600, 4GB of RAM, GTX 560 Ti with 1GB of VRAM, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 1920 x 1200 resolution...  :P No issue so far, so you really shouldn't have any problem. It's temporary of course, as soon as possible I will change my rig. But at least I can play Fallout 4.

I don't know for you guys, but I always play Bethesda games in third person view. I'm probably in the minority, because I'm disappointed by FO4 on that matter : it seems to be primarily designed for first person view. In third person, I find the walking animation clunky. And above all, still no player headtracking !!  :shrug: In Skyrim there is fortunately a mod which allows it, because without headtracking your character seems to be a mindless robot. I was hoping that FO4 would have this essential feature for third person view, but no.

Odd indeed, especially since they kind of encouraged us to walk around during convos. Headtracking should be a given in these situations.

Anyway. Quick tests on my end on the gtx 765m got fps of 30 (mostly) to 20 (godrays) on otherwise low settings in FHD (though only played the into, hope the results will be similar in the open world...). Still a bit too low, but tweaking will start this evening. I think i should be able to get 10FPS more, which would be ok until i upgrade (16nm GPU, not gonna dump any money before they release).

I thought it was funny how the game reminded me that it set any settings to low, yet in the settings most is on medium; which is the lowest setting now ?!?

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Fallout4\plugins.txt

Can it be, that the plugins.txt file get's reset to it's vanilla state with every start of the game? The be more precise, with every start of the Fallout 4 Launcher? The vanilla file looks like this:

# This file is used by Fallout4 to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
Fallout4.esm

If I add the name of a new plugin under Fallout4.esm and save the file, then start the game launcher, quit the launcher right away, and open plugins.txt once again .. it is once again in it's vanilla state. As if I had never added a new entry.

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Fallout4\plugins.txt

Can it be, that the plugins.txt file get's reset to it's vanilla state with every start of the game? The be more precise, with every start of the Fallout 4 Launcher? The vanilla file looks like this:

# This file is used by Fallout4 to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
Fallout4.esm

If I add the name of a new plugin under Fallout4.esm and save the file, then start the game launcher, quit the launcher right away, and open plugins.txt once again .. it is once again in it's vanilla state. As if I had never added a new entry.

Try the ini tweak from description here

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227/

Or just set plugins.txt as read only.