The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

Yep, officially tweeted out by Beth just an hour ago. Seems a little early to me with E3 still 2 weeks away...

I hope that F4 will be 64-bit application.

And that this is not a preview of some mobile version :imp:

Lol, at Robin's comment on the Nexus: "Please don't be Fallout Online."

Indeed!

I hope that F4 will be 64-bit application.

And that this is not a preview of some mobile version :imp:

*cough*DX11*cough*

edit:  Also...

*cough*DX12 option*cough*

LOL... So, in *INSTITUTE*.js ....  I saw this: page:{data:{"title-global":"Fallout Franchise",title:"Oops"}}

WHAT COULD IT MEAN!?   :P

I'm pretty sure that at least confirms the rumored codename, "The Institute".  Unless they're trolling us.   :troll:

---

Edit:

.announcement-preorder .form-dropdown-option {...}
background-image:url("/assets/announcement-preorder/announcement-preorder-aside-banner.jpg");

but also...

QkHuZRO.png

If this game is cross-gen, I... I ...  :(

GTA V managed to do a good job because they took a year to make the game better between generations, and then even better with PC.   I can't imagine how they'd develop for Xbox 360 and Xbox One / PS4 / PC simultaneously and not sacrifice the game quality.

I can't imagine how they'd develop for Xbox 360 and Xbox One / PS4 / PC simultaneously and not sacrifice the game quality.

Gamebryo engine confirmed :troll:

Seriously though, they can't develop for 12 year old hardware without harming game quality. It's time to let those platforms die already.

Also need to figure out why their link just gets stuck for me. God dammit Beth, what are you doing?

Lol, i hope this is just a troll attempt by beth. I mean i do hope they have been taking notes from the witcher. They do need to improve quite a few things from where they were with skyrim, they'd look stupid otherwise. From what i can tell, they got bested by a landslide in terms of open world story telling, performance and graphics on modern hardware, lack of loading screens and nice fluid animations. If they don't manage to nail at least 3 of those with their next installment, they'll look incompetent in 2015.

In 2011 when everyone was developing for the last gen, what they achieved with skyrim was amazing while cdpr opted to take the technically easier approach of having restricted levels with witcher 2. But now...

I'm really eager to see what they will announce.

Seriously though, they can't develop for 12 year old hardware without harming game quality. It's time to let those platforms die already.

I'm guessing that it's some kind of templated CSS they use for their sites.   Not guessing, praying to the Nine Divines.

Lol, i hope this is just a troll attempt by beth. I mean i do hope they have been taking notes from the witcher. They do need to improve quite a few things from where they were with skyrim, they'd look stupid otherwise. From what i can tell, they got bested by a landslide in terms of open world story telling, performance and graphics on modern hardware, lack of loading screens and nice fluid animations. If they don't manage to nail at least 3 of those with their next installment, they'll look incompetent in 2015.

Yeah, I'm almost unsure that I will be able to tolerate loading screens between interior-exterior and city-world anymore.   Streaming technology is certainly there now that next-gen consoles have good CPUs and lots of RAM.

I can't imagine how they'd develop for Xbox 360 and Xbox One / PS4 / PC simultaneously and not sacrifice the game quality.

Oh for f&$@ sake, Beth. :peer:

tumblr_niqnb4Hklm1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Or take cues from Dead Money - "Begin again, but know when to let go." 

But yay for Fallout I guess. The whole old gen, if it's really gonna happen, kinda sours this whole thing though.

Various people asked:

Hey Arthmoor, you doing the unofficial patch?

My answer:

I don't even know if I'm getting the game yet. If the game comes out on the shitty engine we know now, I won't bother for many of the same reasons Jon mentioned. It's time for Bethesda to grow up technically. DX9, poor graphics, load screens, piles of bugs, it's just more than I'd want to get into.

Witcher 3 is doing exactly what I predicted it might. It's illuminating the fact that PCs (and current gen consoles) can actually do open world things without crippling performance all while offering superior graphics and proper DX11 support. Also without needing an Unofficial Witcher 3 Patch :P

I'm guessing that it's some kind of templated CSS they use for their sites.   Not guessing, praying to the Nine Divines.

I will second that theory.

Btw, I also found "ps3" in that same file.

[snip] Witcher 3 is doing exactly what I predicted it might. It's illuminating the fact that PCs (and current gen consoles) can actually do open world things without crippling performance all while offering superior graphics and proper DX11 support. Also without needing an Unofficial Witcher 3 Patch :P

Yes, CDProjekt made wonders with TW3, and at this time their support is just amazing. Modding tools are essential for a game longevity, and I have no doubt that BGS will release them along with a new rehandled paying system, for better or for worse...

Witcher 3 is doing exactly what I predicted it might. It's illuminating the fact that PCs (and current gen consoles) can actually do open world things without crippling performance all while offering superior graphics and proper DX11 support. Also without needing an Unofficial Witcher 3 Patch :P

So we're not doing the UW3P??   :P

Thing is, just as I was getting ready to close the game (testing lots of obscure INI values),  I was walking towards this low wall in back of the high-class brothel.  Behind there you have a good view of the massive building--yes I don't know any of the names yet because I'm stuck barely through the Novigrad quests (No XP glitch)--well anyway I was walking and not paying attention as I looked at things, but I knew the wall was there.  Well, turns out there is a giant hole in the wall collision and I nearly walked off the cliff to my death.   :rofl:

I've also seen several floaters and things, but yeah,  generally this game is really good with little bugs like that.   I don't think we could ever have the same kind of changelog as we do for USKP

I do think W3's whole streaming paradigm is a little vigorous.  My computer can definitely handle more but none of the INI values seem to work. Like increasing the distance at which lod transitions for buildings in Novigrad.  At 1440p it's just a little too noticeable for me.  And if I find the range it fades, I can take a step back or forward and my FPS doesn't even change.  Good thing though about being on a PC and them supporting it for the next two years, I'm betting they will eventually fix all the INI options that control this, or just give Ultra+ options.

One can hope that when REDKit 2 comes out that maybe we will be able to increase the LOD fade distances per building or something. 

But yeah, Witcher 3 is perfect more or less.  I'm having a hard time believing Bethesda will even come close to the level of technical achievement of Witcher 3, but it's always good to be pleasantly surprised.

----

Edit:  Which, btw, despite my complaints about the LOD distance,  the game is still incredible, made more incredible by the fact that it barely uses 2GB of my 4GB VRAM at 1440p.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/valve-begins-offering-refunds-for-all-steam-games/

Since we know FO4 is going to be on Steam, maybe this will incentivize them to do a better job about bugs, cause I can see plenty of people demanding refunds if they don't do a better job on that.

And you had to mention LOD. Ugh. If anything in Beth games needs serious overhaul work, that's it. The transition is just too sudden and there's no stable ini tweaks you can do to get around it. TW3 handled it so well I didn't even notice any of the supposed flaws. THAT'S what we should be expecting.

Ah, LOD, yes. I think the actual system could be much more eye-candy if it was properly done (I mean on the 3D modeling side). As being myself deeply involved into this, I can assure you I just quite don't understand how it is possible to make so bad low-poly models for statics (look at issue 195).

Ah, LOD, yes. I think the actual system could be much more eye-candy if it was properly done (I mean on the 3D modeling side). As being myself deeply involved into this, I can assure you I just quite don't understand how it is possible to make so bad low-poly models for statics (look at issue 195).

LOL...  Skyrim is absolutely atrocious with LOD... like why even bother if it's that bad?  Witcher 3 is way way better, but I still feel like it's not good enough.  A lot of the buildings in the city don't fade in until you're pretty close.  (Example:  Full Detail | LOD)

I'm guessing Fallout 4 will end up having LOD of a quality somewhere in between these two games.   Also it probably won't have even remotely as large and detailed a city as Novigrad.  I can understand why Novigrad has such a vigorous LOD strategy.  But I have a 6-core CPU, 32GB of RAM and a high-end GPU, and I'd like to be able to set that distance higher.   :P  At least Witcher 3 will eventually have a healthy modding community that might address it if CDPR won't. 

It'll be hard to imagine how they work getting better LOD in if it's still on old-gen consoles :troll:

It'll be hard to imagine how they work getting better LOD in if it's still on old-gen consoles :troll:

Beth can learn how are supposed to do LOD from sheson (DynDOLOD) and xEdit Team.  :troll:

I doubt that even two "combined" old-gen console able to render it.

apparently the fallout 4 page was online for a few minutes and people managed to download a first teaser picture

http://www.pcgames.de/Fallout-4-PC-218722/Bilder/Erste-Screenshots-aufgetaucht-1160753/galerie/2382564/?fullsize

and a link to a still private video from Bethesda.

somehow the picture leaves me unimpressed, graphically. Its definatelly still an updated gamebryo engine.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-announced/

somehow the picture leaves me unimpressed, graphically. Its definatelly still an updated gamebryo engine.

Well, it's definitely better than FO3... :P   I think it's pretty decent.  It looks like there is some AO at least... about fucking time we don't have to rely on Boris to get AO into a Bethesda game. 

PC Gamer has an embedded video which is still private: http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-announced/

From the crappy thumbnail on the video it doesn't look too great honestly. (Edit: The thumbnail was just super low res and it was from about 1:24 which isn't the best shot... Now it's just of the "Please Stand By" image)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

Edit:  Video is up!

Edit2: Also....

:banana:  :banana:  :banana: NEXT-GEN ONLY   :banana:  :banana:  :banana: 

I was getting concerned that they'd actually consider cross-gen.  

Official Boxart:

OA9NLcz.jpg

ok, it does look pretty sweet in motion. less impressive than Witcher 3 (the real game ;)), animations still a bit stiff, especially for a trailer with custom animations. still, I applaud their confidence in showing the real deal. definatelly makes you wonder how they manage to keep pushing that engine. also: has youtube's compression gotten worse in recent months? every trailer I see has horrible artifacts, most noticeably when the dog is sprinting out of the house.