The big Witcher 3 Thread

VaultDuke

Yeah... their forums are being thoroughly hammered.

- Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative. -- Uh, what?

If you try to do the cow hide exploit:

It's quite hilarious. :D

For those who can't watch the video,  if you try to do the exploit a huge monster is deployed. :)

So apparently mutagen bonuses are still bugged.  So you socket a 10% Sign Intensity into a branch with 3 blue skills,  that gives you a 40% Sign intensity.  But when you save and reload it's not 40% and you have to take the mutagen out and put it back in again.   I'm guessing most people played the entire game without knowing this. 

Geralt no longer interacts with candles placed near chests and other openable objects.

Oh God, NOW they fix this? :P That was so irritating!

Introduces a number of small changes in the UI for gwent.

They listed this once before and I couldn't tell what they did. Anyone know?

I wasn't aware mutagen bonuses were bugged. The UI never gave any indication of it. How else would you ever know? I suppose we should be glad they're patching shit though, so assuming they know about the mutagen thing it ought to get taken care of soon.

Oh God, NOW they fix this? :P That was so irritating!

I just tweaked my input.settings so that you had to hold A to Ignite/Extinguish.

It was something like changing:

IK_Pad_A_CROSS=(Action=Ignite)

to

IK_Pad_A_CROSS=(Action=Ignite,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2)

in all instances. (IK_E for KB&M).  It didn't stop the candle from getting in the way though.  At least I didn't accidentally light and extinguish shit.

They listed this once before and I couldn't tell what they did. Anyone know?

Probably just small font adjustments.  This patch made a lot of fonts bigger across the entire UI.  Only by a small amount on PC though.  There were pictures comparing the changes the fonts have in the Inventory,  but I didn't see a Gwent UI comparison.

Hopefully it fixes the wrong fucking card being selected when using the controller.  I've played the wrong card several times because the card selected on my screen is different from the one played.   Also, sometimes the selection would get stuck and skip certain cards or not let you change your selection at all.  Again only on controller.

I wasn't aware mutagen bonuses were bugged. The UI never gave any indication of it. How else would you ever know? I suppose we should be glad they're patching shit though, so assuming they know about the mutagen thing it ought to get taken care of soon.

The UI does give indication of it.  It's a pretty slight amount though.  So,  I have 18% bonus without mutagens (the total sign bonus is in the bottom right).  When I load the game it says 48%.  This is incorrect.  It should say 58%.   So you have to desocket it and then socket it and then it will report 58%.

----

----

Finally updated...  I am thrilled the main menu is FINALLY 60FPS!  It was so annoying that the main menu and the videos that play during game load (and the video cutscenes during the main quest) were locked at freaking 18FPS.  For me it was 18... For pretty much everyone else it was like 26-28FPS.  Now my main menu is 60 and the Dandelion intros are for whatever reason 32 (should be locked at 30). 

So I'm guessing that this

[Visuals]

MovieFramerate=30

will finally work.  I'll try changing it to 60 and see if the videos can do 60.

-----

Also, the game loaded freakishly fast for me.  It may do with the Dandelion intros being so low FPS.  I know you can skip them if the loading is finished in the background though.  The thing is,  loading has almost always taken longer than the video.  This time he barely got a word in before my repeated button mashing caused it to skip.   :D

----

Camera is wayyyyy more responsive on controller now.  Moving Geralt too.  Especially in regards to swimming.

Post-game spoilers. Fair warning. Don't read this if you haven't finished!

I don't like how they handled the post-game environment. The whole end sequence with Ciri and Geralt hanging out in White Orchard clearly shows it's now winter. Snow is on the ground. That's somewhat excusable.

What's not though is that for the way I played, I was specifically told that Nilfgaard took over everything. I assisted in assassinating Radovid. Supposedly without his "mad genius" the whole region falls to the black ones. Novigrad is called out as being occupied by them. I went to Novigrad to see what was what. Well, why are Redanian troops still on patrol there? Why is there no sign of a Nilfgaardian occupation?

Worse than that, it seems they yanked out all of the plot important NPCs. Kaer Morhen was deserted, although I suppose you could argue that's intentional since everyone wanted to bail after Vesimir died anyway. Problem is, everyone else important is gone too. Zoltan, Dandelion, all the other major NPCs, on down the line. I didn't bother going to Skellige to check but I'd not be surprised to find nobody important there either. This is kind of bad especially for Dandelion and Zoltan since they're supposed to be the ones running the new cabaret in Novigrad :P Also can't go to Vizima and find Ciri hanging out on the throne or anything. Which seems outright silly.

I think this was poor planning and reeks of what Bioware painted themselves into with DAO and the post-game DLC that came out for it. Except with Witcher 3 it didn't have to be this way.

Well, I didn't play out the same ending as you, but from what I've read there's about 36 different endings.

To be able to continue with the important NPC's still around they'd need to compensate for each ending. Doesn't sound worth it, if I were a dev.

So 1.05 adds an alchemy/crafting filter, but then breaks alchemy.   :X

For example, if you have 1 of a White Gull already in your inventory it will tell you you can't make anymore.  Same with mutagens (!) and other items.

Well, I didn't play out the same ending as you, but from what I've read there's about 36 different endings.

To be able to continue with the important NPC's still around they'd need to compensate for each ending. Doesn't sound worth it, if I were a dev.

Honestly don't see how that could be a problem. Disable any who shouldn't be around. Keep the ones that logically should. They had to keep track of all of this up until just before the ending anyway so they already know who should be around and how they should be treating Geralt.

Can't see it being overly difficult to have had a set of Nilfgaard enable markers to remove the wrong troops, flags, etc still flying over a "free city" that's no longer free :P Wonder how hard it would be to fix it with a mod...

@Jon:

Wait, so not being able to brew a potion you already have in your inventory is a bug? Cause I've been getting that the whole time. Game specifically says you have to meditate to replenish supplies of stuff you've brewed once already. I don't like that mechanic btw. Why the hell should I automatically waste alcohol like that on potions I may not WANT restocked? I'd much rather brew up a bomb shortly before I need it. Plus I don't like how this artificially limits you to only having 3 potions of a particular type on hand. Old Witcher games let you have as many of them as you could carry if that's what you wanted.

Well, sure, ok..

I'll give you the Novigrad scenerio. It is just weird. And i'd love to destroy all those goddamn witch hunter dudes too. No reason Dandelion and Zoltan can't be at their establishment either. The rest, not worth it :P

Also agree with Arth ... you just can't "rebrew" potions. You meditate to replenish them. The whole 3 at a time was annoying too, but when you 'upgrade' the potion, it becomes 5. Might be another upgrade after that, don't know. Only one I did was Swallow. The mutagens thing, meh. I got along fine.

And jesus christ, I HATE THE UI FONT SIZE CHANGES PUT IT BACK PLS.

Re: alchemy.  No...  not that.  Once you craft a potion the first time, its entry in the Alchemy menu is useless, is it not?  So, they added a filter in 1.05 which can hide stuff you've already crafted. 

The issue is that for the stuff in the Alchemy menu like Alcohols (like White Gull) and Mutagens,  if you have one of the same kind in your inventory already it won't let you make more.  In 1.04 and earlier you could make as many White Gulls as you wanted.  And combine your Mutagens just fine.   Now if you want to make a Greater mutagen to clean up your stash of the 3 regular mutagens,  but you already have that type of Greater mutagen in your stash it will tell you that you can't. 

TL;DR - It's treating Alcohols and Mutagens (and other non-Potions) like they are potions, i.e. you can only have 1 in your inventory.  It's obviously a bug, and I assume it was introduced with the filter.

Edit:  Here's the new filter:

gYOrghH.jpg

And here's the new bug:

yZDiacF.jpg

Anybody else not able to talk to the Blacksmith at Kaer Trolde? (he's supposed to be selling the new Skellige crossbow)

Nope, I can't talk to him either. He doesn't even show up on the map with a blacksmith symbol. GARTH! One for your list! :troll:

@Jon: Ah, I see. That's a pretty annoying bug then. Their QA should have caught that :P

Anybody else not able to talk to the Blacksmith at Kaer Trolde? (he's supposed to be selling the new Skellige crossbow)

I've gotten this bug but keep forgetting to add it to my list, doing that now. Sometimes waiting until the next day lets you talk to him. I've noticed that when blacksmiths and armorers start their animation where they bang on the anvil, you sometimes can't talk to them, even after they finish, and you've gotta meditate till the next morning.

Also I know it's an extra step and a big pain, but if anyone is willing to post their bug here it would help me out a lot. The bug megathread is finally starting to get some attention, and the more posts it gets, the more traction it'll get (which means CDPR is more likely to notice and start hammering out those bugs!)

The next two DLC's are out.

* "Ballad Hero's" Gwent card deck - new skins only, not an actual new deck

* New quest "Fool's Gold" - quest starts in Lurtch, Velen

Edit; Started the quest ...log says it's a lvl 10 quest (start rant about low level dlc's being released at a time when most of the fan base has finished the game already, /rant). It's kind of ... odd. And I think I may have hit a glitch already.

New quest synopsis;

Uh, ok ...

It's barely a 10 minute quest altogether, not even worth it. And it's just so odd there aren't even words. It did glitch on me the first time, the quest objective "person" did not spawn where they were supposed to. So I went back a save before discovering this location and it fixed it. Although, this time found random floating spear and arrows in the location.

The ending can go two ways; (yeah, I did them both because I was just ... stunned)

- either help the guy by not letting the villagers take him, and you get no reward. Zip, nil, nada. I did this one first and went ... wut?

- let the villagers take the guy (for what reason I don't know, there's nothing to suspect he did anything wrong to warrant that), and you get 100 gold reward. The guy gets hung back in the village (yes, I went and looked after).

Either way, I got 5 exp points for the quest because I'm so high level. Might be worth it for new characters but it's (IMO) a poorly written and done quest, dialogue seems stilted, parts of it seems like it skips, doesn't flow well. YMMV.

Sounds like the lameness of the Missing Miners one too. No longer than about 5 minutes, most of which is time spent going to and from the location.

CDPR responded on the bug tracking megathread and asked that we report bugs (in as large batches as possible) here.

Uh, first of all, I am not going to fill out that silly report, with a DX dialog, every time I see a floater.

And most of all, I am not going to give them my game code. Wtf?

CDPR responded on the bug tracking megathread and asked that we report bugs (in as large batches as possible) here.

Cool.  I haven't been able to play much since first I was hit with the XP glitch then I sent out my 980 for a Step-Up to the 980 Ti. :)  I was feeling reasonably good about doing so because they had said they were "working through the long weekend" to get patch 1.05 out and then they surprised us with it on Friday.  So I was expecting not to be able to play Witcher 3 for the past 5 days anyway.  :P

I can play on my GTX 680 but if I keep the Ultra settings I have to turn off Hairworks and go down to 1080p, and cap it at 30FPS just for smoothness' sake.  The horror.

Uh, first of all, I am not going to fill out that silly report, with a DX dialog, every time I see a floater.

Just put in N/A like it says you can.  :P  Just curious though, why does this bother you?  Your code has already been claimed.  No one can steal it.  You can paste the code all over the internet and it won't make a difference.

The DXDiag thing... yeah that's a bit excessive.

Honestly, prolly took you longer to type that out than upload your DXDiag report :P (it autofills the PC spec fields). Dunno what they meant by game code though, didn't see any such thing with my GOG version of the game so I just put in N/A.

Probably wouldn't make sense to fill it out every time you get a bug, just after you get a decent list.

You just know they were hoping to avoid getting huge lists of bugs this way though :troll:

Interesting post here from GOG/CDPR: looks like over half of all the PC gamers playing the Witcher 3 are using GOG Galaxy, meaning there are others who are using the GOG copy but not Galaxy (likely not many given the hassle of manually updating). Dunno how they beat out Steam, but it makes me very glad. Perhaps it's due to all the free GOG copies they gave out with new GPUs?

Coincidentally, they place their PC sales at a little over 1 million (4 million total right now). Nearly 700k of that 1 million is super impressive.

Think I might have an actual reason to try out ReShade (SweetFX) now.  They will be introducing a "debanding" shader soon which gets rid of the banding in the skybox and other places with smooth gradients.   Other than the low LOD distance for lots of buildings, I would say the one thing that bothers me is the sky banding.

Note:  If you don't have a 10-bit LCD panel you might not notice.