The big Witcher 3 Thread

VaultDuke

So is Bram the merchant you rescue in a prior quest? If so he's got no cards for sale in his inventory. So does this mean it wasn't a retroactive fix or does it mean I already have the cards and don't realize it?

Also, count me among the irritated that the ESC key doesn't seem to exit properly. I discovered much too late that hitting the hotkey for whatever menu you're in instantly exits the UI back to the game.

In the intrest of fairness, I want skimpy Geralt armor.    :D

YES. Yes. So much yes.

Bram had cards when I went to him looking for that DLC armor. Not sure if he normally has cards or not.

I don't think I've ever gotten stuck, but I have been blocked by invisible collision a few times. On random roads and such. Oh, and I went to this lighthouse where a wyvern was flying around, and he landed on part of a drawbridge and got stuck. I stood there shooting him with my crossbow safe and sound, lol.

As for the horses, the auto-ride for normal riding is great, which does get turned off for races, and it's controlling that trips me up somehow. I guess I'm uncoordinated.

The standard Feline armor is kind of skimpy. :P

And, oh, I just realized if you're using KB&M to race, I bet that's pretty hard and I probably couldn't do it either.   Xbox controller's analog stick gives you 360 degrees of control whereas with KB&M, I don't even know how that'd work.   Do you turn him with the mouse or by tapping WASD?

I also had weird stuff happen with a draconid and collisions, maybe at the same building.  When it died it sort of fell hanging way over this ledge and its body kind of floated there and it wasn't even lootable.  I figured harder enemies always dropped something.

Invisible collision...  yeah.  Right as you exit the Baron's manor, if you try to get on the roof, be prepared to either float way in the air or walk straight through the roof.  The invisible collision also blocks most of your ways back off the roof, the ones where you could survive anyway. :P  I think they must have intended to prevent you from getting up there at all but they clearly failed.

----

Another gripe is the lack of any passive abilities.  Please tell me why the dialogue component of the Delusion ability isn't just always active (even if it's not slotted).  There are many games where choosing an ability gives you an active and passive component.  That way putting points in them doesn't make them feel like a complete waste when you can't slot/use them. 

Try running into invisible collision in the middle of nowhere in an empty clearing. Though it's just as irritating while on horseback on an open road too.

Yes, turning the horse is done via the mouse and it doesn't always work. The horse sometimes just flat out refuses to respond to it. There's one horse race where that becomes enough of an issue that I just gave up and accepted that I was going to lose it, not because the horse wasn't fast enough, but because I couldn't make the sharp turns without it going off course enough to get thrown out of the race. I must be missing something too, because I can't figure out how to make the horse just follow a path automatically, no matter where I am.

Active vs passive ability was one of the first gripes I had. I don't like the new ability system at all. Much preferred the one in TW2 and wish they'd kept it. This one is entirely unrealistic considering you can swap mutagens in and out at will and all previous information we had about that said such things were permanent.

PSA:

There is apparently a bug with quest XP.  Some people just stop getting it.   If you complete a quest and don't notice any + to XP, I would stop playing and wait for the patch.  They already said they found the reason and are in the process of fixing it.

Linky 1

Linky 2

PSA Les Deux:

A non-bug, but still rather important info...  Apparently greyed quests (those that are way below your level) never give XP.   So, don't put off a quest for so long that it becomes greyed!

----

I must be missing something too, because I can't figure out how to make the horse just follow a path automatically, no matter where I am.

For controllers, I believe it's as long as you are holding down A, which is the same button you double tap to cause him to sprint.  I have no idea what this relates to on keyboard.  I think it's that any slight mouse input probably takes him out of auto-travel.  But if you are on a road and just hold shift maybe, and don't touch the mouse he will stay on the road.

There is also apparently a button which slows time while you are doing mounted combat but I haven't bothered figuring that one out because I haven't used mounted combat yet.

----

So, in light of the possible XP bug, I decided to take a day or two and only play Gwent for the sidequests.  I got all the XP from the Velen Players and Innkeeper sidequests so I'm not affected by the bug yet (if the sidequests are even susceptible... It may just be the main quests).

Gwent definitely grew on me.  I quite enjoy it now that I have a decent deck.  I had to play a lot of randos to build my deck before trying the side quest guys.  In my experience, all the normal merchants (bag icon) are weakest, then the innkeepers (mug icon), then the craftsmen (blacksmith/armorer).   Though I think they are maybe semi-leveled, as in the weakest players are the ones you would run into first during the main quests and the earliest side quests. 

I still only have enough cards for Northern Realms and Nilfgaard.  I still haven't gotten any of those damn Scorch cards.  They are so evil (but I will definitely use them :P).  I had something extremely fortuitous happen in one of the most recent games.  Basically, they scorched one of my medics, so I played another medic and chose that medic again, which let me choose a third card.  It was quite a good play. :)

Huh, I haven't noticed not getting XP ... but I've only been doing treasure hunt quests (about sunken treasures and witcher gear ones) and general wandering.

Pretty sure I got some XP for liberating settlements, but I'm not gonna worry if I didn't.

I haven't been having any trouble getting xp myself either, even with 1.0.4 installed. I've got no more greyed out quests though. Everything I still have left is in green even though some of it is still listed as above my level.

Auto pathing the horses must be mapped in a way that doesn't favor keyboard users. I've never had anything other than running off the road happen if I simply let go of the mouse. The horse makes no effort to stay on the roads.

From what I have read it actually seems to start fairly late into the game, and it may only affect the main quest.  I haven't even gone to Skellige yet and I'm level 16 and the stuff I've been doing is still giving XP.   There's a mod which enables the debug console, so that if one wanted to they could technically track all the XP they should have gotten and then give it to themselves.  I don't think CDPR is going to be able to retroactively grant the missing XP.

-----

Also, I retract what I said about one of the actual "downgrades" I noticed when viewing older builds of the game:  the lighting on distant mountains.

Like at 0:30 here ... In fact, around 4:48 I'm pretty positive those mountains are actually part of the skybox, just by the way they move.  So maybe they were faking the distant terrain for the preview to keep the performance higher. Something just seems off about them in the preview.   In the released game, the mountains are way smaller I think, because I can't manage to ever get that much of the mountains in view around any part outside Novigrad.   Anyway, I finally had a super-clear sunny day and I was actually very pleased with how the distant mountains were lit.  I've also seen pictures of how good Skellige can look, and also today they put out a new video on The Witcher YouTube channel that was quite stunning.   Viewing that video at 60FPS made me wish I had $3000 worth of GPU so that I could do 4K at 60FPS.   I'm guessing they also put some of the INI settings way past Ultra. 

-----

Also, I noticed I was having some extremely chuggy/stuttery behavior after going back up to Ultra for the Foliage Distance setting.  I had been using Ultra for a quite a while without any stuttering before deciding to gain some FPS by going down to High.  I played with High for a while but it was really disappointing for me once I tried comparing them:

High (50FPS @ 1440p)

Ultra (44FPS @ 1440p)

I analyzed the difference between the two in the INI file.

High

GrassDistanceScale=1
FoliageDistanceScale=1
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=32
GrassRingSize=4194304

Ultra

GrassDistanceScale=1.5
FoliageDistanceScale=1.8
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=54
GrassRingSize=16777216

What I did was take the Ultra settings but then halve the GrassRingSize so that it was still twice that of High.   From what I can tell this alleviated my chugging/stuttering, but I have to play for a bit longer with those settings to be sure.

Only place I've noticed any visible stutter was in the city of Novigrad. Even then, it was nothing like what happens regularly in Skyrim. A few hitches here and there was about it, and almost always when I made a sudden move the game probably wasn't anticipating. I've been playing with everything on Ultra the whole time too and I'm quite impressed with this engine's capabilities. CDPR has proven you can have visually stunning environments AND a solid story to experience in those environments.

Hm, lvl 22 and I am getting XP on side quests and witcher contracts. I've stopped doing the MQ for awhile, don't want to finish too early (I'm already back at Kaer Morhen).

I was getting MQ experience all the way to the end of the game (yes, I'm finished now) so I guess it was one of those "rare" issues or something.

Gotta say, loved the story to death. Dialogue choices DO matter too, and you won't know the outcome until it's much too late to turn back if you made some kind of mistake.

Another somewhat silly thing I ran into while progressing through battle after battle. You can use repair kits while in combat :X

Well, shit.  Decided I would start the Broken Flowers quest.  Suggested Level 11, my level was 16, so it was still green.   However at some point during one of the conversations I noticed that of the two yellow dialogue options, when I chose the first option it didn't go away after it came back to my dialogue choices.  I chose the second option and then the first went away but then the second was still there.  So I had to choose it twice.   This glitch gave me a pretty bad feeling so I decided to complete the quest to see if I would get the XP.  Then right at the end as I'm talking to the female bard,  there was a copy of her in the background fanning herself.   So that was two pretty big glitches in one quest.

Anyway, once the quest completed I didn't get any experience.   :(   So, looks like I'm fucked. 

Edit:  Yeah, looks like a lot of people are in the same boat as me:  http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37nua2/did_i_get_the_no_xp_bug_broken_flowers_didnt_give/

I save constantly so I'm going to try just doing the whole quest from the beginning, see if I can avoid the weird dialogue glitches and see if they have anything to do with no longer getting XP.  My hypothesis is that maybe when those quest dialogue options don't go away correctly the quest state gets corrupted or something, which affects everything after it.  It could also be completely unrelated.

Edit2:  I just ran through the entire quest again. Started before I had done anything with it.  I didn't get either of the previous glitches, but still no XP.  I actually just read that someone thinks the point it messes up at is the end of Family Matters.  In fact if I'm remembering correctly,  Family Matters may have been greyed for me by the time I completed it.  This means that I didn't get XP for Family Matters, and I'm guessing the game accidentally repeats the no XP for each subsequent main quest.

So, I am betting that you only get the glitch if you manage to complete any of the MQ when it's greyed out.  Then all subsequent quests act like they are greyed out.

Looks like I'm only playing Gwent until it's patched.

I haven't been having any trouble getting xp myself either, even with 1.0.4 installed. I've got no more greyed out quests though. Everything I still have left is in green even though some of it is still listed as above my level.

Auto pathing the horses must be mapped in a way that doesn't favor keyboard users. I've never had anything other than running off the road happen if I simply let go of the mouse. The horse makes no effort to stay on the roads.

The deafult key for the horse to autofollow roads should be holding down "shift" while letting go of the mouse.

The deafult key for the horse to autofollow roads should be holding down "shift" while letting go of the mouse.

If that's the case it's not working for me. If I let go of the mouse, the horse simply flies off the road at the first bend. Maybe that doesn't work at a full gallop? If so, that's not really helpful since canter is too slow for long distance and walking speed is too slow even for shorter distances.

Suck to be me I guess then :P

Even with the mess of a UI for horse movement I still managed to win all but one horse race. The one I couldn't win just wouldn't cooperate with the controls and I kept accidentally leaving the course. Eventually just said screw it and accepted the loss so I could move on and keep playing.

Since I'm stuck not being able to progress in the game until Monday when they release the patch for the XP bug,  I figured I'd look into advanced INI tweaks. :P

There is one guy who has found lots of hidden ones not in the files, like how you can dump the INI values in Skyrim.   Link

Here is a good group of tweaks to add to user.settings:

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true
ForceCinematicModeOn=true
CinematicModeMipBias=0 

(Though I put MipBias at -0.4 or so)

His shots:

Off | On (Wood and cloth on wagon, also the bush in the bottom left corner)

Off | On (Wall on very left, also the metal on the door, also the threads on his pants)

... In my experience it seems to supplement TextureMipBias rather than override it. 

I took this with TextureMipBias=-1:

Off | On

As you can see the threads on the clothing are pretty blurry without UseMipRefiner=true.

----

Also, it appears that MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1.0f and MeshLODDistanceScale=1.0f can't be increased.  They are capped in the engine.  I was hoping like the foliage distances you could increase the high res meshes just slightly further out, because some of the far LOD in Novigrad is pretty obvious. 

Ok, so I've heard of this 'point of no return' in the MQ .... does that mean you can't return to finish exploring all the locations after the MQ or just that you can't stop until you do finish it?

Just had the weirdest visual glitch. Was running through a village, and this kid ran into me and it basically knocked the camera view off. I was running around staring up close at the back of Geralt's head. :stare:

Luckily a quit/restart fixed it.

I'm having a hard time controlling Geralt.  I run into NPC's even in small villiages,  fall down steps or fall into cellars.   Most of the time the camera's so close I can't see the little 'use' icon for the ladder.  

I'm having a hard time controlling Geralt.  I run into NPC's even in small villiages,  fall down steps or fall into cellars.   Most of the time the camera's so close I can't see the little 'use' icon for the ladder.  

So, I'm finding that a lot of the controller controls that irritated me before--like SWIMMING--are actually much easier if you use the Right Analog stick to do a lot of the turning.  Like when swimming, if you angle the camera up he'll start to surface so the Dive/Ascend buttons are kind of superfluous.  The issue is that you can't hold A (Sprint) and use the Right Analog stick at the same time, so I'm considering switching the Sprint button with something else.

For example in Witcher 2 that's pretty much always how I turned Geralt, was by moving the camera.  In this game I find I'm always holding A to sprint, so then I use Left/Right on the Left Analog Stick instead and I find it pretty hard to control his turning that way.

And lo and behold, W3 has this set in bin/config/platform/pc/platformgameplay.ini:

[Gameplay]
LeftStickSensitivity=0.7

So, if you're using a controller, I suggest trying to set it to 1.0 to see if that improves it for you.   I haven't tried it yet personally.  I had the same problems in W2 with his turning accuracy so I'm sort of used to it.  He can't exactly turn on a dime.

I do agree about the camera in close quarters.  It can be pretty nauseating.

Ok, so I've heard of this 'point of no return' in the MQ .... does that mean you can't return to finish exploring all the locations after the MQ or just that you can't stop until you do finish it?

You'll actually get two different warnings about this. One that comes with a level recommendation you should definitely pay attention to and turn back if you don't meet it. The second is basically the one that tells you there's no turning back.

You can still play after the MQ and everything is over although I'm not sure what the point is if you've cleared everything prior to that like I did :P

Think I'm just going to ignore the fact that I'm not getting XP because I'm nearly overleveled for Broken Flowers and Get Junior and whatever subsequent quests in that chain.  I'm level 16, and I believe Broken Flowers is 11, so I'm right on the cusp of it being greyed and not getting XP anyway.  And if Get Junior is 12 and the next is 13 and so on, I will always be nearly overleveled.

So, I could see the XP glitch as a good thing as it will make my playthrough of the MQ a bit more challenging.   :P   If I would have just leveled up once before this weekend I would not have been receiving XP from them anyway.   A lot of people have said that it's too easy to be overleveled for everything and I'm guessing it would have been even easier if they didn't make greyed quests not give XP.  And this way I won't be grossly overpowered for the expansions... :)

Also, another reason I'm just going to go ahead and play this weekend is because the hotfix might not actually come out Monday anymore, as they have said patch 1.05 will be out on Tuesday/Wednesday and they just may wait to bundle the hotfix in with that.

Too easy to be overleveled? Well, I dunno how others play, but I'm tending to be underleveled for everything I pick up. :shrug:

I've had level 30+ quests sitting in my log since I was around lvl 15. May never even get to them if I finish the MQ and lose interest.

Jonwd7 -- Thanks for the ini setting!  Seems to have solved my issue.  :)

I hope they change their minds about that hotfix.  I stopped getting experiance after one side quest today. (I'm at level 11.)   I guess I'll stick with treasure hunts since those don't give much experiance anyway.  I really don't want to quit playing, but I also don't want to miss out on the experiance.  Like Hana, nearly every quest or contract I pick up requires a much higher level.