The big Witcher 3 Thread

VaultDuke

Novigrad left a bad taste in my mouth. Might have had to do with meeting up with Triss again, who's turned into quite the little bitch. Finally said so long to her, don't look back. :devil: Running back and forth across that huge city wore on my nerves too.

Haven't had any problems warping back to White Orchard. Never tried to go back to the Palace tho, no reason to. :shrug:

Oh, and one other serious fucking rant. Warning - mega plot spoilers:

CDPR, please, that whole story line regarding Priscilla and that stupid play ..... sure, would have been interesting had it been quick and short ... it DID NOT need to drag out that fucking long and it DID NOT NEED TO FORCE GERALT INTO THE PLAY. No respectful Witcher should have to stoop that low and put himself on display like a foolish puppet. EVER. Hated that with a steaming passion, in case you couldn't tell. On the other side of that was a ridiculous little enactment between Geralt and Dandelion, which I can see Dandelion do, but again, see above. It was just too sad to drag our macho hero down to that level.

Hmm, while I'm ranting ... enough with the damn 3, 4, sometimes 5+ vs. 1 fights. Especially the fist fights. I'm pretty sure I rage-quit like 20 billion times today.

Eh, I found a collision arm/armor error in a prerendered cutscene. I'm totally convinced they'll never fix it. It would require some new motion capture, rendering, encoding, compression and repacking...

cs403_finale_405346562.usm cutscene :

Prerendered%20Cutscene%20Error.jpg

It has been confirmed by the developer, that the 2013 build used lighting and other shaders of a quality no longer present in 2015. Some people would like to rage about this, but a few facts keep them in the minority: the game looks absolutely gorgeous, not just for an open world game at that. and maxing all settings, the game easily hogs the performance on even the strongest cards, and it's not just because of hairworks or the game being otherwise unoptimized.

Also, as has hinted at, too: developing the game as a mulitplatform title massivelly increased the expected sales numbers, which in return meant much more money could be spend for development than for a single platform title. So in a way, the game did not suffer from being on consoles. Not at all.

Sure, shady business practices are despicable, and being fooled into buying an inferior product is not something we should tolerate. But if the final game is a contender for goty and most beautiful game of the year, there is hardly anything to be upset about. And that's the conclusion i came to, even before release (the accusations/findings are nothing new by now) and the confirmation from the devs (sure, it might have turned out the game sucked, but it didn't from what i see). Could my rig run it, i'd have bought it by now. And i still will once i get an upgrade.

Don't be foolish enough to compare this to Alien Colonial Marines or Watch_Dogs.

Fucking bitch! I pissed off Yen and she portaled me to drop in the middle of a lake! :angry::rofl:

Heh, I thought Bethesda was bad for templated actors but at least they used them on minor bandits and guards. So far I've come across the same looking guy in at least two different quests and the same woman at least three times.

I hadn't noticed when I first read this, but I was a bit further behind since I hadn't yet come across what you described in your previous post.  Since then though, I got from level 6 to 13, and in that time I did see numerous repeating faces, but it hasn't really bothered me.  Almost every merchant looks the same when you clear an area for people to move into and I'm perfectly fine with that.  My reasoning is that maybe they either had to choose to reuse the same merchant (and others) over and over again, or not be able to include the abandoned sites feature (and other features) at all.

What I found really annoying in Skyrim was that every male Nord looks basically the same, and same can be said for most other human race/gender combinations.  I understand racial/genetic similarities, but this is more like every NPC looks like the brother/sister of another.  Hell, even siblings differ more from each other in real life.  So, this is more like clones with slight variations...  but this is just a result of rather uninspired chargen morphs.

In Witcher 3, you have way more variation, like BODY TYPES (fit, frumpy, etc.), different teeth(!!), and the faces all seem to be uniquely modeled (not chargen morphs), so when two NPCs are identical it probably stands out a lot more.  In Skyrim, to me, everyone basically looks the same anyway, so I doubt I would ever notice identical faces.  I mean, look at the crime against humanity that the vanilla children are in Skyrim, and yet I would still admit that with different hair and dress (and voices) that it's at least... sufficient.  

So do I prefer W3's method to Skyrim's?  I think I do.  To me, the human races in Skyrim just look like potatoes. Rotten, gray potatoes.  They're just so generic and lifeless.  The elven races are more unique (I think the orcs are my favorite) and I like the beast races too, but ultimately I think I'd prefer more uniquely modeled NPCs that aren't just chargen morphs of a base head.  Even if W3 has fewer but unique heads, they are at least so well done that it makes up for it.

Obviously, it would be nice to have some chargen/morph tech on top of the more unique heads, but maybe there are technical reasons they can't.  I'm thinking the emotion and dialogue morphs are specific to the head, whereas in Skyrim every single head shares the same morphs for its gender.  I notice too that many characters have things like normal map animation/blending (for example) for skin wrinkles like crinkling their brow or for their smile lines.  This might make creating new heads a rather complex endeavor, and probably even harder for modders unfortunately. 

-----

-----

-----

Honestly, I think Witcher 3 has pretty much ruined Skyrim for me forever.  It's reaffirmed several hypotheses I've formed over the course of W3's announcement-to-release:

1.  Not every NPC in town needs to have a name or a dialogue tree, nor even be interactable for that matter.

2.  Not every small object you see needs to be lootable/pickable, nor does it need to be fully Havoked.

3.  Not every space/building needs to be enterable or serve any purpose.

and to elaborate:

I understand why you magically know most NPC names. It'd be a tedious mechanic to have to learn everyone's name by some means.  But what is so bad about completely anonymous NPCs?  Why does an NPC need to have a name and a purpose and a dialogue tree?   If the game only includes NPCs for which it has purpose, you end up with a very sparsely populated game.  It would be like filming a TV show with no extras.  In the real world, do you expect everyone you go up to to have a full-fledged conversation with you?   I see adding lots of anonymous NPCs to a game as only a positive thing and ultimately no different from adding flora or fauna.  They are there simply to make the world feel more alive.

The clutter argument is more technical, but ultimately arrives at the same conclusion:  you get to fill the world up with more stuff, even if it doesn't have any real purpose.  Basically, if every single object on every single table is uniquely interactable and Havoked, they're *not* going to be grouped into the same draw call because they can't be "baked" into some larger object which shares the same material/shader properties.  And on top of that, the CPU is doing work for each object to simulate physics.  (Though in W3 surprisingly many objects are destructible or react to Aard so maybe this point is moot)

The last point is pretty much just the first point but for buildings and areas.  If you only make the NPCs necessary for your game, and only make enough buildings in your cities to house just those NPCs, you're going to have very small, sparsely populated cities.  So, if you want to make a village or city actually look like a village or city (and not just a hamlet or settlement), "pointless" buildings are actually pretty vital.  The point is to give an air, an atmosphere, a backdrop.  Basically, it would be like calling an area of a game a "forest" but not placing any trees.

A huge bonus from this is that you can make worlds so large that you can reasonably create expansions inside the same worldspace!  So you need to add a new character for an expansion?  Unlock a door in the city for their residence.  Adding a new vendor?  Replace one of the anonymous, non-interactable merchants from one of the million stands.   When you create only the spaces you need for only the NPCs which are necessary, you're creating a space which is pretty much impossible to fill or expand upon later.

It has been confirmed by the developer, that the 2013 build used lighting and other shaders of a quality no longer present in 2015. Some people would like to rage about this, but a few facts keep them in the minority: the game looks absolutely gorgeous, not just for an open world game at that. and maxing all settings, the game easily hogs the performance on even the strongest cards, and it's not just because of hairworks or the game being otherwise unoptimized.

Yeah I have found the "downgrade" argument to be completely without merit, and not just because this is the most gorgeous game I've ever seen.  There were definitely some polygons removed here and there, but this is always part of the optimization process.  Like in the preview video where they trot into Novigrad, they probably didn't even have all of Novigrad finished yet.  So they finish it and then find that the first areas they worked on are a bit too polygon dense.  So they spread it out a bit.  So what.   It's not "false advertising" or lying.  It's called optimization.  If they made some of these optimizations solely for the 900p/30FPS target of the consoles, then I would be a little miffed, but so what.  Not like we haven't dealt with that...  Look at the sad state of unmodded Skyrim.

The only thing I miss about the old rendering engine is the light on distant mountains.  I'm not sure why this had to go, but a lot of people are erroneously saying they had to reduce the draw distance.  Well the mountains are still there in the released game... they are just greyed out by fog.

Frankly I kind of hated the old rendering engine.  Everything was very stark.  They desaturated everything and applied an obscene amount of sharpening and grain.  It just wasn't my style.

Here's the old renderer:

Ok3Y9ch.jpg

and the released game:

witcher32015-05-2418-44-18.png

(Not my shot, and also I believe this was taken before patch 1.04 which introduced the negative mipmap bias which sharpens up the textures a bit)

Most of the apparent detail in the early videos was because it was being rendered at 4K and then sharpened to oblivion.  In the patch before last they re-introduced the "Kill My Eyes" Sharpening option.  In the most recent patch they introduced negative mipmap bias and after that I had to turn Sharpening completely off.  The negative mipmap bias really improves the trees and foliage too.  Before 1.04 I felt like trees looked pretty "billboardy" since they were using lower res mipmaps to sample trees and fairly close distances.  For example... See how the pine branches look a bit "chunky" on the left.  

...Almost every merchant looks the same when you clear an area for people to move into and I'm perfectly fine with that.  My reasoning is that maybe they either had to choose to reuse the same merchant (and others) over and over again, or not be able to include the abandoned sites feature (and other features) at all.

In Daggerfall, all the merchants were the one and the same, and in the same shop. :P This has to be an improvement.

What I found really annoying in Skyrim was that every male Nord looks basically the same, and same can be said for most other human race/gender combinations.

Which is why I sided with the Imperials. :P

In Witcher 3, you have way more variation, like BODY TYPES (fit, frumpy, etc.), different teeth(!!), and the faces all seem to be uniquely modeled (not chargen morphs), so when two NPCs are identical it probably stands out a lot more.  In Skyrim, to me, everyone basically looks the same anyway, so I doubt I would ever notice identical faces.  I mean, look at the crime against humanity that the vanilla children are in Skyrim, and yet I would still admit that with different hair and dress (and voices) that it's at least... sufficient.

That's great, but does it limit further opportunities for body type modders? But..Ahhh the voicing, tell us more. How many real actor voice types are used? Unique variations?

So do I prefer W3's method to Skyrim's?  I think I do.  To me, the human races in Skyrim just look like potatoes. Rotten, gray potatoes.  They're just so generic and lifeless.  The elven races are more unique (I think the orcs are my favorite) and I like the beast races too, but ultimately I think I'd prefer more uniquely modeled NPCs that aren't just chargen morphs of a base head.  Even if W3 has fewer but unique heads, they are at least so well done that it makes up for it.

To me, the human races on earth just look like potatoes, me bery much in the mix. :P

Honestly, I think Witcher 3 has pretty much ruined Skyrim for me forever.  It's reaffirmed several hypotheses I've formed over the course of W3's announcement-to-release:

1.  Not every NPC in town needs to have a name or a dialogue tree, nor even be interactable for that matter.

2.  Not every small object you see needs to be lootable/pickable, nor does it need to be fully Havoked.

3.  Not every space/building needs to be enterable or serve any purpose.

1. Yes, *if* the player does not interact. For me this is open ended.

2. Yes. Too much clutter everywhere in Skyrim, even Oblivion.

3. Yes, when level 1, and on- but what about level 999 and God?

and to elaborate:

A huge bonus from this is that you can make worlds so large that you can reasonably create expansions inside the same worldspace!  So you need to add a new character for an expansion?  Unlock a door in the city for their residence.  Adding a new vendor?  Replace one of the anonymous, non-interactable merchants from one of the million stands.   When you create only the spaces you need for only the NPCs which are necessary, you're creating a space which is pretty much impossible to fill or expand upon later.

A million stands? That would make it hundreds, yeah, 1000 times bigger than Skyrim!

It all sounds good. Faultless to a fault as bad Byron once spat. 10/10 from the guys at Gamespot doesn't come easy, and they only ever gave that to the great game Planescape.

I'd like to know about the the MQ, SQs, how they all tie in with the lore. Is there acrobatics, song, poetry, quality dialogue, streaming soundtracks, and how do the animations for animals, birds, fish, critters go. The weaponry and armor and paintings, tapestries, sculptures, the flora types. Are there Unique Landscapes? And the dungeons?

What are the new areas for modding? Are there new tools? Do we all have to rush out now and purchase the latest UDK?

Oh, right, patches. I should probably create my GoG account and get them :X And the 4 DLC's. :lol:

I totally agree with points 1, 2 and 3 above. Absolutely. Not everything needs to have a point, and just filler is acceptable by me. I especially like the "Shady" guys wandering around Novigrad, lol.

Normally I'm a quality vs quantity person, but I really have to agree that I'd rather have the volume of tons of NPCs (even if they just have generic names like "mob" or "woman") than a major city only having maybe 12 people in it, even though I can talk to all of them.

Slutty Yennefer outfit ..mmkay..

Anyone remember where to find Bram to get the Temerian armor?

More annoyances;

- Coming out of meditation to the message "You cannot do that right now"

- ESC'ing 3 times to get out of the map menu (I use the map ALOT)

- Thunder storms when the sky is clear .... can no one do weather properly?

- The slick "wet" look when it's not even raining - although I love that they can even do a wet shader

All I can say is Novigrad is a city done the way a city should be done. There are more people inside one tavern there than in all of Whiterun, even if you add a zillion NPC mods to the game. As far as buildings, I can't say I've really noticed any being inaccessible. Without purpose, sure, but then even Skyrim has buildings with no purpose. At least W3 doesn't make you go through a load screen to get inside.

Novigrad has one big downside though because of its size. It's stupidly hard to get around in and getting lost without looking at the minimap is virtually guaranteed. Which is only magnified by the amount of quests where you have to go from one end to the other.

I also don't like how the map menu doesn't show you the dungeons. Getting a useless display of the overhead terrain when I'm in a cave hundreds of feet below ground is useless. Or the sewers in Novigrad. :P

I guess I haven't pissed Yen off enough yet. She hasn't dropped me in a lake or anything :P

I did have a good laugh at one scene where Geralt got drunk with some friends and the game didn't put his gear back on and then a serious scene for the MQ took place with him standing there in just his shorts because there was no opportunity to access the inventory :X

More annoyances;

- The slick "wet" look when it's not even raining - although I love that they can even do a wet shader

Press the map hotkey ("m" by default i believe) while in the map menu to get straight back into the game. This also annoyed me greatly until I noticed this short cut.

- Cannot do what? lol ... I haven't see that before.  I think I get something similar when trying to save when it's already autosaving (or doing other stuff).

- Well, for Xbox controllers you can hold Start to go straight to the map and press Start to exit straight back to the game.  The equivalent of Esc on the controller is B, so what is the equivalent of Start on the keyboard?  Enter?  (Edit:  And yeah, there is also the M key which is less out of the way than Enter)

- I haven't had the storm thing happen.  Storms for me have always been preceded by increasingly dark clouds.  A few times you could even tell where the storm was coming from.  Dark sky to one side, and bright clear sky to another.  The best thunderstorms hands down goes to GTA V though (e.g. first minute).  That game gets it perfect.

On that note, I absolutely love the super dark cloudy weather with high winds.  The fast moving cloud shadows I could just sit there and watch all day.  Like images #3 and #4 here:  https://imgur.com/a/JPZAh#3

---

What has been pissing me off really badly is the swimming controls on controller.  On top of that they put those freaking Drowners underwater that pull you down and despite what I have read, they do NOT die in 1 or 2 hits of a crossbow.   There is a sidequest with a really tight well space with freaking three of them.  I was level 15 maybe and the Drowners were level 10.  My crossbow did next to no damage to them. 

Anyway the "X to dive" and "B to ascend" is bullshit.  If you are trying to ascend, you can forget about changing your direction because he will just stop dead and float there.  Same if you are trying to ascend and bump into anything.  You just get stuck there.   You can hold forward and ascend and it works but you need a big open space for that. 

I'm guessing that is one mechanic where I would prefer KB&M. 

Eh, not really much better on keyboard. Swimming underwater just sucks, period. I'm glad they added proper underwater stuff to do, they just need it to respond better and not get you stuck.

My crossbow does one-shot kills underwater though. Even the shitty one Vesemir gives you could do that for me. Above water, no, one-shotting anything is impossible. Below water, and you can often cheat death against an opponent with a red skull because of the instakill. I already did this with one of those quickie treasure quests where they had level 25 sirens or something overhead and I was barely level 13. They sank my boat and I just dove under and waited for them. The only price I had to pay for that was being forced to swim 500 units back to shore :P

The red skull thing is actually a huge irritation to me. There was one side quest in Novigrad where at one level, the enemies were red, and I couldn't do any damage to them. Gain ONE level, suddenly the quest turns green in the log, and I proceed to turn the enemies into hamburger like they were nothing. Which is silly, because in other situations where red skull enemies show up, I've been able to bait them into dying with a lot of patience and liberal abuse of the Quen sign.

"M" to get back out of map? Ooooo, I'll have to try it, thanks!

Agree with the underwater combat stuff. I found an island with some underwater treasure around it, but yeah those drowners drown me, lol. I didn't even KNOW you could shoot them with the crossbow. The next time I had to go underwater to go through a tunnel with drowners around I did shoot them ... they didn't die, but they were stunned enough to float away so I could quickly swim by.

The thing I can't get a handle on is horse racing. :shrug: And gwent, I suck at gwent.

Even the shitty one Vesemir gives you could do that for me. Above water, no, one-shotting anything is impossible. Below water, and you can often cheat death against an opponent with a red skull because of the instakill.

Ohhhh...  I didn't even know you could use any weapons underwater.  I was standing above the well shooting the Drowners in the water and it was doing like 70 damage.  I would like to know why it magically becomes instakill from underwater.  I mean, I'm not going to fault them for the lack of realism but one just does not expect to be able to fire a crossbow while underwater.  

The red skull thing is actually a huge irritation to me. There was one side quest in Novigrad where at one level, the enemies were red, and I couldn't do any damage to them. Gain ONE level, suddenly the quest turns green in the log, and I proceed to turn the enemies into hamburger like they were nothing. Which is silly, because in other situations where red skull enemies show up, I've been able to bait them into dying with a lot of patience and liberal abuse of the Quen sign.

Wait, what?  So, enemy NPCs in quests are "protected" if the quest is red in your quest log?  I wonder how exactly this works, since I'm quite sure I've taken Treasure Hunt monsters out which were 10 levels above me.   I guess since those monsters are always there in the world it doesn't really count them as part of the quest.

I haven't tried, but are the "??" level monsters (15+ levels above you) immune to damage in the same way?  I could imagine this at least making sense... The game is basically trying to preserve the endgame for you.  If you go out of your way and kill all the highest level stuff early on you're left with nothing fun to kill later.

The game prompts you specifically that the crossbow can be fired underwater. What I hadn't figured out until seeing a load screen about it is that you can just click the middle button for an auto-aim attack instead of manually trying to aim it. Which I use underwater all the time now since you can't fucking move the camera around enough to hit most things without it. Same with anything flying at enough of an angle above or below you in the air. Auto-aim ignores the camera limitations.

NPCs with the red skull are supposed to be "too hard for you". Maybe the one quest in Novigrad was special somehow, but so far I've not been able to put much of a dent in anything marked that way anywhere else. Except for a few monsters where abusing Quen gets the job done because they're somehow vulnerable to it. Even then, those battles are insanely long whereas waiting until they go green means you can wallop them any way you want.

Since I suck at having to be overly tactical, most battles I fight involve little more than flailing about with my swords :P

Oh, and while we're ranting... :P

Who here hates it as much as I do that some fucking rock or twig on the ground can completely hang you up when you try to move, but you can blow through tree branches like they're nothing? Most of my deaths have been due to getting stuck on shit like this while trying to fight rather than making mistakes in combat.

EDIT: Also, anyone know more about what this means?

A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

The thing I can't get a handle on is horse racing. :shrug: And gwent, I suck at gwent.

I haven't had any issue with horse racing.  I think I'd already found a racing saddle by the time I did the first race sidequest though.  I really disliked that it bothers to say "HORSE STAMINA".  I find it intrusive. Obviously that's the horse's stamina.  You start sprinting and then a bar starts going down.  So I just turned off the horse stamina bar in the UI options.   :)

The thing I love about the horse is the self driving feature.  LOL.  I think that gets turned off for races though.

Gwent... yeah.  I had considered not playing it at all for this playthrough.  Though I caught someone playing it on a stream and the game actually went really well and it may have changed my mind.  I kind of want my total play time to not count time playing Gwent though.  Just so I know how long the game really takes.  I guess as long as I only do what is required for completion of sidequests that is technically part of the game's play time.

Who here hates it as much as I do that some fucking rock or twig on the ground can completely hang you up when you try to move, but you can blow through tree branches like they're nothing? Most of my deaths have been due to getting stuck on shit like this while trying to fight rather than making mistakes in combat.

What I can't stand is the "You cannot do this now" or whatever when you have water up to your waist and you're trying to jump up onto some rocks or the shore or whatever but the ground is too steep.  This one mechanic makes it so that it's possible to get stuck in numerous places.  Permanently.  God forbid you save and THEN realize you're stuck.  There are lots of places in the bogs like this, where all the sides are too steep and the water is at just the right height.  I've never gotten stuck there but I've read about it.  However I have gotten stuck right outside Novigrad.  There is this bridge with these weird compartments filled with water right next to it.  I accidentally fell in one and could not get out.  I tried for several minutes, doing all sorts of maneuvers.  I eventually had to reload my save.

Here's an example.

Also, anyone know more about what this means?

Yeah, if you didn't buy the cards from the Innkeep in White Orchard, after the Prologue is over she's no longer there to sell them. So they put the cards on another NPC in White Orchard so that you can still get them after the Prologue. I am one of the people who didn't bother buying them, but now I know to always buy things like that first thing.

----

Other random things:

- I wish the Ignite/Extinguish action took a back burner (har har) to Talk/Loot.  They put a candle in front of so many merchants and things.   Gets super annoying.  There is the ability to remap Ignite/Extinguish to another key, or to require it to be held at least.  But it still doesn't alleviate the issue of stealing focus.

- Wish there was a key to toggle the entire UI.

- The game WILL NOT stop reverting my mode to Borderless Window from Fullscreen at random.  My performance in game is abysmal if I don't do Fullscreen.  My playthroughs usually start like "Why is the game so sluggish, oh look, it reverted to Borderless Window again".  Now I just usually check before loading a save.

So which merchant in White Orchard has the cards now? Cause I can't find them and I'm pretty sure I ignored them to begin with because I didn't have the coin to waste on Gwent cards until after I'd left the area :P

More annoyances;

There's more than enough skimpy female outfits in this game.    In the intrest of fairness, I want skimpy Geralt armor.    :D

Bram is near the fast travel sign post Woesong bridge in White Orchard.

Arthmoor -- I thought Bram sold them, but I'm not sure.