GOG Galaxy Entering Open Beta

garthand

For those of you who buy games off of GOG, you might want to take a look at this. The backup, rollback and auto-updating features are welcome additions, and I've had great experiences with it in alpha. It's not required to play GOG games, but is a nice option.

There's also the ability to play with Steam friends for some multiplayer games, which is really cool.

I clicked to get into the beta. Been wanting to check this out for awhile now. Glad to see they're making good progress.

It's probably not a coincidence this is coming up so close to Witcher 3 :P

I just watched the Witcher 3 trailer and it left me with mixed feelings. That low-minded talk with forced foul language, nudity and extreme violence ruin the beauty of the fantasy world. :wallbash: I really hope ES series will not follow the same path.

I'm more worried we might be looking at trees and horse tail way too much. all I see in the gameplay videos is Geralt riding through the forest, they even need to cut the gameplay videos, to actually get to some action. I wonder how much life and interactivity the open world will offer outside of the main and side missions? so far non of the trailers and videos have convinced me that the open world setting does anything good for the game. we only saw scripted interactions with NPCs in what looked like QTE style conversations, we never saw him talk to any NPC that was not a quest giver. And the boss battles looked staged. I mean that wyvern that flew up when the sun was just standing perfectly? great! but how often does

Edited by Gruftlord

Wwe didn't see anything of the actual open world and it's interactivity and lifelines, outside of a horse's ass out in the woods. I bet the CDR interpretation of open world will be closer to what we know from GTA than what we know from elder scrolls.

prove me wrong CDR, combine the best of both worlds (focused story with great character from GTA, reactive environment with detailed backstory and daily cycle for each inhabitant  from TES) and I'm deeply impressed.

I just watched the Witcher 3 trailer and it left me with mixed feelings. That low-minded talk with forced foul language, nudity and extreme violence ruin the beauty of the fantasy world.    :wallbash: I really hope ES series will not follow the same path.

The books were pretty vulgar and had quite a bit of sex in them as well, so this might not be the game you're looking for.

Wwe didn't see anything of the actual open world and it's interactivity and lifelines, outside of a horse's ass out in the woods. I bet the CDR interpretation of open world will be closer to what we know from GTA than what we know from elder scrolls.

prove me wrong CDR, combine the best of both worlds (focused story with great character from GTA, reactive environment with detailed backstory and daily cycle for each inhabitant  from TES) and I'm deeply impressed.

I can't confirm if this is how things will work in the Witcher 3, but using the same engine in the Witcher 2, every NPC had a daily routine, even if you couldn't talk to them. There were also a LOT of people. In Skyrim, cities are generally a bit more sparse but you can talk to everyone, and pretty much everyone has a quest for you at some point, (I mean the CK even creates conversations as quests). In the Witcher, there's a handful of quest givers but a lot of "filler" NPCs. I can see the advantages of both approaches but I do appreciate the cities being a bit fuller, it always seemed odd to me that half of the population of any one city is comprised of the town guard in Skyrim haha.

waiting for your second part ;P

edit: there it is :D

agree, the world looked more believable visually. it seemed to lack that "compression" that Skyrim has. the towns look more like actual towns, and the villages like villages, not the towns like villages, and the villages like 2 houses. On the other hand, that means even more horse riding through bigger forests :P

Nice to hear the NPCs will have daily routines most likely. is there also an equivalent to skyrim's endless quests (not that that was one of skyrim's strongest parts, mind you)?

Well, it certainly has everything that most young gaming nerds will love - sex, bad language, hatred and extreme violence.

Even that "professional" line sounded corny and not something medieval and fantasy related.

I loved the swamps, villages and forests, but too many other stuff I've seen in trailer ruined the mystery and vast imagination of the fantastical world. It's more like 21st century meets medieval weapons and armour.

Well to be fair, the entire game series has crude language and is full of sex. It's just part of what makes it what it is. If you've never played the first two games, then yes, I could see where it might be a bit of a shock. That said, the crudeness is never out of place and even the raunchy stuff fits and hasn't simply been forced in for the hell of it.

I haven't read the books so I'll defer to those who have.

The books were pretty vulgar and had quite a bit of sex in them as well, so this might not be the game you're looking for.

I can't confirm if this is how things will work in the Witcher 3, but using the same engine in the Witcher 2, every NPC had a daily routine, even if you couldn't talk to them. There were also a LOT of people. In Skyrim, cities are generally a bit more sparse but you can talk to everyone, and pretty much everyone has a quest for you at some point, (I mean the CK even creates conversations as quests). In the Witcher, there's a handful of quest givers but a lot of "filler" NPCs. I can see the advantages of both approaches but I do appreciate the cities being a bit fuller, it always seemed odd to me that half of the population of any one city is comprised of the town guard in Skyrim haha.

Witcher 1 and 2 didn't have any equivalent to Skyrim's radiant quest system, so I'm not sure if the third one will. They haven't mentioned much about it, and considering they didn't reveal whether you could play after finishing the final quest (a few months ago they said it was being debated internally), it seems more likely than not that quests are a one-off thing.

Well, it certainly has everything that most young gaming nerds will love - sex, bad language, hatred and extreme violence.

Even that "professional" line sounded corny and not something medieval and fantasy related.

I loved the swamps, villages and forests, but too many other stuff I've seen in trailer ruined the mystery and vast imagination of the fantastical world. It's more like 21st century meets medieval weapons and armour.

It certainly has all the elements but it doesn't seem to attract that crowd as much, possibly because of the dialogue-heavy gameplay and convoluted political landscape. I think it's fair to say that those who didn't read the books might have missed some of the "why" with the political shitstorm from the second game around the war over the Pontar valley, the heir to the Temerian throne, Redania's involvement with the Order of the Flaming Rose and schemes on the Temerian throne and Henselt of Kaedwen's ambitions and collaboration with the Nilfgaardians.

Thanks for making it more clear to a complete noob like me.
I can't say I've been shocked as much as it felt wrong somehow with my understanding how fantasy world should look and feel. Kind of subjective thing.

Thanks for making it more clear to a complete noob like me.

I can't say I've been shocked as much as it felt wrong somehow with my understanding how fantasy world should look and feel. Kind of subjective thing.

I totally get where you're coming from. The books and games feel a lot more like Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire than most fantasy settings I've played in cRPGs or read about in books. It's almost like historical fantasy.

As of today you can preload the Witcher 3 (26GB size) with the Galaxy Client (I've heard you can do it with the old Downloader as well).

I didn't realize that type of thing was possible in Skyrim even with SKSE:stare:

Also, that preview for the Witcher 3 looks good. Wish I could afford a computer that could run it.  :|

man that mod is awesome. e.g. you can grow a full blown beard, then shave it into any style you want. then when you let it continue growing, it keeps the style, and the clean shaven parts start growing separately. i think it's even more elaborate than Witcher 3's beard

Does Witcher 3 let Geralt's beard grow out? If so that's kind of cool. Also I love how a GoG Galaxy thread inevitably becomes a Witcher thread :P