Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Leonardo

I'm surprised by the low quality/little scope of some of the mods people were paying for. I mean 5 bucks for horse armor is a fair price compared to 2 ugly swords with overpowered stats, dropped in a box in riverwood. Some people really have no idea how easy it is to make some cheat equipment, and were happily paying for it.

Basically: Some kids need to be protected from wasting their pocket money. There may be a bad backlash from some surprised parents even, who had no idea about all this. That's the main reason why i'm not sure where to stand when it comes to curating a mod store.

I think if they regulate things to more or less the same extent Nexus does, it would be fine. If people really want to pay for god items, why should we stop that? As far as the price, if authors are allowed to set it, let them learn about the free market the hard way. Overprice something and it won't sell. Underprice it and you may sell a lot, but not make enough to make the effort worth it.

As far as Windows 10, forced updates are a reality. Microsoft has already said Home users will be forced to accept updates no matter what, and Pro users can only defer them for up to 8 months before it blocks letting you get new security updates. All of which they've openly said is for using the public as guinea pigs for Enterprise customers.

I think if they regulate things to more or less the same extent Nexus does, it would be fine. If people really want to pay for god items, why should we stop that? As far as the price, if authors are allowed to set it, let them learn about the free market the hard way. Overprice something and it won't sell. Underprice it and you may sell a lot, but not make enough to make the effort worth it.

As far as Windows 10, forced updates are a reality. Microsoft has already said Home users will be forced to accept updates no matter what, and Pro users can only defer them for up to 8 months before it blocks letting you get new security updates. All of which they've openly said is for using the public as guinea pigs for Enterprise customers.

Yeah I think you're right about just keeping a hands-off approach to things. Given how much people hate forced updates on the W10 platform, it would make sense to have some kind of paid mod rollback feature a la GOG Galaxy's update rollback. Combined with the refund policy on both games and mods, I think that would encourage the kind of highly polished mods we're all hoping to see more of.

• 1 month later...

Yep, the subject came up in the author forum and Bethesda basically said no to things like Patreon and Flattr. I wouldn't expect this stance to change either since those types of systems are clearly subscriptions for the intent of generating revenue vs one-time voluntary donations, which so far they seem to have no issue with.