Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Leonardo

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1516854-midas-magic-spells-for-skyrim-xilverbulet-in-game-ads/

Oh the humanities. Let them charge for money, and they start acting like corporate entities. No need to feel sorry for them being treated like one, and having the profits of their work taken by a bigger company.

And bethesda hasn't received enough money for their work yet. It's theirs and they decide when they have, not the freelancers working on sideprojects for their game.

Ah it's so much easier, when you don't have to feel pity any more for anyone involved in this....

Wow, Ads in video games about mods. Just... wow. Look at all the years and effort it took to build the games community and now within 2 days it's devolved so fast.

And the topic has been locked waaay before the post limit - Reason due to "Way too much attacking going on here."

Right. I dont see any attacking there really, Bethesda @ Moderator "just find a loosely applied reason will you, this topic could be bad press, lock it so it falls off the face of the forum"

DarkOne has posted a rather lengthy news section about his stance and involvement as a service provider. I think it's quite a good read:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12459/?

He also reiterated some sports analogy :)

Yes it's a good read, but it has sad news too.  Chesko is leaving the community and I really hope that he doesn't leave for good.

He said only for now. Take a break and let things settle down, I'd say that's for the best.

But who knows if things really will settle down, this could go any number of ways. My hope is that something good comes from it. Though what "good" could be is up to anyone.

With all that has happened I'm surprised that Valve/Bethesda haven't commented yet

I would not expect Bethesda to comment on it at all. Saying anything official now would just get used to continue fanning the fires. In this situation, their usual quiet way will work for them rather than against them.

Valve might comment at some point, but if they do, it'll be somewhere most people won't find right off. IMO they should just keep quiet. Saying nothing is better than potentially saying something that will harm the company.

Yep, heard about that. I don't approve of nagware tactics. His choice though, and he'll either burn for it or escape the fire.

Wow.

So I read a "sample" of what people have been writing. I suppose more than ever I'm glad I don't mod for Skyrim (yes, I do still mod for Oblivion, one day I might release something). That's a good place to start, actually, my volume of work in mods and meshes is quite significant, I think, but very rarely am I happy to release something, most of it is fiddling for my own enjoyment.

Making a paid mod has all sorts of implications, such as whether resource makers can object to you profiting off something they released as fee. For example, if I made a tileset and someone used that in a paid mod when I released the mod for free, should I then be able to demand a cut, or demand the resources be removed? If my meshes are an important part of a level the I can argue that my work is integral to the mod's success and therefore the creator's profits. Speaking of profits, whilst I can see Valve getting a significant cut for maintaining the infrastructure one has to note that the game publisher is getting a bigger cut than the mod author, despite the fact that the mod author is the one prolonging the life of the game and encouraging new sales via the mod release - the division should be an equal one to acknowledge the symbiotic nature of mods and modding, developer and modder.

Then there's the issue of stealing mod ideas. Arthmoor made a paid mod to clean up castle at the end of Dawn Guard. That's a pretty obvious choice for a mod, what if someone else makes a free version, or makes a different chargeable version? At what point does Arthmoor's economic right to profit from his work trump the historical right of modders to keep remaking other people's mods in a different way?

In summation, whilst I don't have any real moral objections I don't see this working in the long run, I expect the community to fracture to an extent, and it's entirely possible that this will ruin working relationship as modders end up on opposite sides of the "pay divide".

The part in this I don't get is that I thought it would be fairly obvious that this would be a controversial decision on Bethesda and Valve's part, so why did they not do more to prepare the community and prevent this kind of fallout in the first place?

Given that this might just be my PR experience talking, but seriously, if you could see a shitstorm on the horizon, wouldn't you try to blunt that preemptively?

I read most of Gabe's response and the one thing that jumped at me was where he said that if this isn't good for gamers then Valve would dump everything.

Seeing the backlash so far, it makes me wonder what he's waiting for :P

I read most of Gabe's response and the one thing that jumped at me was where he said that if this isn't good for gamers then Valve would dump everything.

The backlash he's probably doing what any publisher does and IGNORING IT until the data tells him he should.

He's waiting to see what the sales figures look like in a month. That's the only thing that ultimately matters. To him, and frankly to me as well. If even half the things the internet raged against happening were scrapped before they had a chance, the internet and gaming in general would be a very poor experience indeed.

This reddit topic is very interesting. Everybody has only two words in the mouth : "donation button". They forget that Nexus had already the donation button, but almost nobody made donations.  :rolleyes:

A rather non-conspicuous donation button.

My largest problem with this venture is the blatant infringement of other peoples work that will occur and will largely go unchecked and unnoticed, especially seeing as you'd actually have to buy a mod to check to see if it was using your assets.

The buttons have been made a great deal more obvious as of Friday afternoon.

He's waiting to see what the sales figures look like in a month. That's the only thing that ultimately matters. To him, and frankly to me as well. If even half the things the internet raged against happening were scrapped before they had a chance, the internet and gaming in general would be a very poor experience indeed.

Well it's a deal more complex than that. For one thing, the community that makes mods are not the primary users of said mods - most users are outside the community. That means that the furore we're seeing isn't going to have as much of an impact on sales as you might think, but could have a huge impact on the quality of mods, both free and paid for.

The point has already been made that this diss-incentiveses casual co-operation because after you make a mesh as a favour, or do some beta testing the primary author can decide to make money out of your work without you seeing a penny. That opens a whole can of worms around the question of whether modders should now be entering into publicly witnessed contracts, or whether they should just put up with it. I can see a number of end-scenarios for that side of things all of which involve an increase in paranoia and a level of community fracture.

As an extreme example, it could damage the official patch project as modders on one side or other of the divide refuse to work together or refuse to endorse the UPP. As you agreed to participate in the launch, Arth, you've placed yourself on the "paid mods are a good idea" side of the line, and that will mean that the UPP and this site will be seen as being on that side as well. The fact that AFK Mods is going to be set up as a "Service Provider" which can profit from mod sales means that the UPP is now technically "supported by paid mods".

Once the dust settles and that becomes common knowledge you can expect a backlash against the UPP, how large it is and how it's handled will be one of the things that will redefine Skyrim modding, and may even spill over into Oblivion because the UOP is also hosted and managed here.

I think I get where Sigurð is going - A prominent statement needs to be made somewhere on AFK Mods with regard to UPP to preempt any slander, instead of just a lost in the nexus comments thousands of leapfrogging posts ago "$0.00 USD"

Possibly appended to the FAQ ? http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3581-frequently-asked-questions-about-the-project/

I thought about a similar paragraph also being included in the downloaded files ReadMe too in the FAQ section there, but most people dont even know it exists. No harm duplicating it there though.

There are simply things that should never be treated as a business. Is it not short sighted to ignore the backlash and expect money at the end of it? To leave it for a whole month and do nothing is just irresponsible.