New Gaming Rig

garthand

The time has finally come to put Ol' Bessie down. She's served me well, but she's a 7 year old OEM frankenstein, and I plan to build my next PC. With some generous advice from Jon, here is the tentative build I've got going so far. Feel free to pitch in any suggestions you have.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 $90

CPU: Intel i7-4790K $340

GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 $550

PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA 850 G2 $122 after rebate

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB $120

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo $190

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R $65

Water Cooler: Corsair H55 $65 (I would use the included heatsink but a bunch of the CPU reviews mentioned it ran a bit hot)

I grabbed the PSU and SSD off of Newegg while they were on sale, but am totally open to any other suggestions. I'm also considering a GTX 970 at $320 instead of the 980 for $550.

Jealous lizard is jealous and wishes he had money for a complete system upgrade too :P

That's a damn good price on that SSD, lowest I've seen them in awhile.

If you plan to keep this rig 'operational' several years you should consider buying a better motherboard imo. From the 7 past rigs I built none remained ok more than 1 year and half / 2 years. Poor quality capacitors and welds = BSOD and freezes. My actual rig (3 years old) has a 'so called' 5 years warranty ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard (188.09 euros / 200 dollars at purchase date). --> Not a single BSOD or freeze since.

Thanks for the heads up Nico. The card you linked is about $230 off Newegg right now which is a bit high, what do you think of this one?

I have a Sabertooth, though not that chipset.  I'd recommend it, but realistically I don't think you're going to ever see any actual issue with the MSI or the ASUS.

The ASUS has Intel LAN though which I'd prefer.  It has more USB 3.0 in the back and more USB connectors onboard. It doesn't have really ugly and pointless video connectors for the CPU / onboard video like the MSI one does.  The MSI has both VGA and DVI.  The ASUS has DisplayPort and HDMI.  Also I think you were complaining about the inclusion of ancient PS/2 connectors which are also absent on the ASUS.   :P

Thanks for the heads up Nico. The card you linked is about $230 off Newegg right now which is a bit high, what do you think of this one?

This is way, way better imo. Maybe very,very slightly 'old' atm, but for this price it seems to be a very good deal. I wouldn't recommend spending below 160 euros / 170 dollars for a motherboard (the discount makes it even better worth it).

I treated myself and hubby (online name is Jimi) to new machines last year. They are extremely fast. :D

Specs:

Intel i7 4930K Processor
ASUS X79 Deluxe Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16GB Memory Kit
ASUS Radeon R9 290X Graphic Card (2)
Corsair AX1200i Power Supply
Samsung 840 EVO SSD - 250 GB
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Roccat Kone Pure Mouse (me)

Razor DeathAdder Mouse (Jimi)
Western Digital 1TB 10,000 rpm

Lian Li PC-7H Enclosure

I opted for the ASUS X79 for the features, including on-board wireless ac, which is the fastest protocol right now. I didn't go for a big SSD since I only intend to put the OS on it. The Western Digital drive is really fast and WD are the most reliable drives atm. Once you've built with a Lian Li case, you'll never want another. :)

My research indicated that the LGA 2011 will have some future value as Intel releases new processors. I'd like to get a couple of upgrades out of this before replacing it again.

This machine is so quiet, you can't even tell it's running.