STEAM & MO & SKSE = Lag!

kornest

Hi people, first of all let me introduce myself. I'am kornest! Pleasure ;)

After some time of playing skyrim in my PS3 I decided to buy it from steam to finally start playing with some mods.

Now, after some research (Nexus mod manager vs Mod Organizer) I decided to install MO and I applied 2 mods, both of them requiring SKSE to function propelly.

Here's my dillema now:

If i start Skyrim from Skyrim launcher or SKSE, the game plays very smoothly but without the mods activated (the ones who actually need SKSE to work), but for some reason if I start the game through MO in the option SKSE, the game runs with both mods activated but I get a framerate drop. I'am talking like 20 FPS instead of the 50FPS I get on starting Skyrim via the 1st way described.

Any help or tips for this?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Hi  kornest, and welcome!

Many of us here don't use MO, so can't help there. The best threads to get you going with that are here or here.

If the target is a minimally modded game- say 20 mods or less, there's nothing wrong with NMM. Not having trialed recent updates of NMM, it's likely capable of more.

Run Loot to fix the load order whenever new mods are added.

Good luck!

Any help or tips for this?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Welcome to AFK Mods kornest! :wave:

If you want some help to solve your issue then I suggest that jump over to the S.T.E.P forum and ask for help there.

No love for Wrye Bash :(

Indeed and that's a shame really at least there are some people who still thinks Wrye Bash is the best mod tool.

While the STEP forum is probably the best place to get help, it's worth noting that MO uses a virtual file system for your mods in order to keep your main installation folder clean. Perhaps your system is just choking and/or bottlenecking on this when you run the mods?

While the STEP forum is probably the best place to get help, it's worth noting that MO uses a virtual file system for your mods in order to keep your main installation folder clean. Perhaps your system is just choking and/or bottlenecking on this when you run the mods?

It's a possibility, but how do I clean it?

What are your system specs?

I'm wondering that, too. I've been using MO with Skyrim for over a year with 8 GB of RAM, and I haven't noticed any performance drops.

Also, which version of MO are you using? 1.2.18 is the most recent stable version, while 1.3.x is still very much in open beta.

Sounds to me that the reason for the performance problem is from the mods that are only activated when starting the game through the manager.

What are the mods?

Sounds to me that the reason for the performance problem is from the mods that are only activated when starting the game through the manager.

What are the mods?

At the time the mods were only SkyUI and Customizable Favorites. Now I have more than 20 and the framerate it's the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to AFK Mods kornest! :wave:

If you want some help to solve your issue then I suggest that jump over to the S.T.E.P forum and ask for help there.

Indeed and that's a shame really at least there are some people who still thinks Wrye Bash is the best mod tool.

I agree.  BAIN is a godsend.  Just wish the Skyrim BASH patch functionality was more robust (like Oblivion or even  FO3).