NifSkope 2.0 Dev

Jon

Welp, thanks :P

Can't wait to get to importing but I learned a decent bit already

Dedicating this video to you Jon, since ya bitches won't let me send you $$

And if you want a laugh, this is what my folder looks like atm, gonna clean a lot of it up but damn

D6Ep71P.jpg

Thanks for updates!

While browsing through meshes noticed this

image.png

Probably because it has the single trishape for both leaves and stump with NiAlpha attached.

ps. I have BA2 archives properly registered in NifScope including materials.

Probably because it has the single trishape for both leaves and stump with NiAlpha attached.

No, it's because it uses SLSF2 Tree Anim flag, which indicates that the Vertex Alpha on the mesh is used for grass/leaf/branch animation.  A vertex alpha of 0 means "do not animate".  For rendering, an alpha of 0 obviously makes it go completely transparent.  In Skyrim I check for this shader flag and ignore the vertex alphas if it exists.  I just hadn't verified this still existed in FO4 until the other day and so I ported the functionality over to the new shape class.

I've already fixed it:

D9NuVkv.png

Side note:  Your image makes me question black being the default...  Is black generally liked as the background color or should I make the default middle grey? :)

Side note:  Your image makes me question black being the default...  Is black generally liked as the background color or should I make the default middle grey? :)

Doesn't matter for me since I'm used to black in NifScope, your screenshots are the only ones with grey :)

I like the black, simply for the contrast. Sometimes I'll switch to grey or some other colour (depending if the nif is light or dark) but might as well leave it as is since the user has the option to change it.

(When I first started using nifskope way back when, for the longest time I didn't even know you could change the background colour :lmao: )

Maya 2016's defualt background of 92 92 92 / #5c5c5c is my new favorite, sometimes i open up the program just to stare at that beautiful grey.

would hear no complaints from me if you made it grey, and is no doubt better for shader visualization which i guess is why all the big modeling programs do it.

Very rudimentary first attempt.  I waited two years to even try and it took me like a half an hour of work.   :X   Though to be fair it took a long time to get acquainted with the renderer, and I only just recently had an epiphany with how to most easily implement it. 

It was especially important to do so now, with the new vertex data format.  The verts are obscured by additional nested levels. 

There are a slew of problems at the moment, like maintaining valid data for these verts while you add/remove blocks, load new files, etc. 

Edit:  Also, there'll be a new chunk of icons on the toolbar to deal with selection modes.  

Awesome.

I realize you're totally focused on FO4 right now, but some of us ( :X ) don't plan to touch FO4.

Does this work for and how will it look for Skyrim meshes?

OMG OMG OMFnG :stare:

Also, I often export meshes from Max with vulgar file names like DD does when meshes are being pains in the ass as well.  It's a good outlet of frustration.

How will overlapping vertices (like how NIF exporters handle UVW seams) be handled?

Finally I'll be able to calculate the true bounds of any shape by selecting min/max vertices :bunny:

Well you could have just asked.   :P  The renderer already computes a boundsphere from the vertices for near/far clipping and centering/zooming.    Also in FO4 there is a bounding sphere stored on all static shapes.  It's zeroed on anything skinned, because the meshes are dynamic and the overall bounding sphere is computed from the bounding spheres of all the bones.   So I have to make a Spell to compute bounding spheres anyway, at least for statics.

I've decoded (mostly) the BSPackedCombinedSharedGeomDataExtra which occurs in the PreCombined/*_OC.NIF files in the MeshesExtra BA2. 

https://i.imgur.com/9eKydnr.png

https://i.imgur.com/ynb8eaz.png

You'll like it if you're a fan of bounding spheres. :P   The way the file is structured it seems like it's merging multiple meshes (grouped by shared Material files) into a multibound.  If they are BSMeshLODTriShapes the extra data also defines the triangles for each LOD level for the entire group of meshes.   What you're seeing above is 56 objects in part of a cell which all use the same Material.

It's also possible that since they are including the material information in these NIF files (despite there being no actual geometry) that the trishape which contains the extra data basically acts as a lookup for the texture chunk loading.   Each trishape has a bound sphere (the green one in the above images) and has a BSLSP with a material link, so it essentially becomes a giant sphere with the Material labeled on the side for the engine to see.   It's easy to query the visibility of the bounding sphere and also the distance to it, which would be required for streaming in the textures from a certain mip chunk.

The PreCombined folder is massive and would look to cover every cell (and possibly object) in the game, and it's something you have to rebake after changing the positions/numbers of things.   The first 8 digits of each filename is the cell, for example the above image is cell DBBE, and there are many NIF files per cell.  I'm guessing dynamic things or things added through third party mods just lack all of these optimizations from this baked data.

----

@Hana  Yes it will work fine for older meshes... once I add it.  :)  There are two shape classes now, since they are so different.   All the work goes on outside of the shape classes other than initial adding of the data to the scene,  and I could add the few lines of code to the old shape class now if I wanted.    I don't really know what you mean about the look..  It'll be the same experience across all files.   Whatever index in the tree is considered the "vertex" will be navigated to when clicking.   For pre-FO4 meshes all the vertices are in one array.   FO4 meshes have all their data packed into one structure per vertex.  So in a way it will be less useful for Skyrim because the UVs/Normals/Tangents/etc  are all in a separate array.   I may come up with a way of making this better for pre-FO4 meshes. 

I noticed this is being showcased on a FO4 mesh.  Will Skyrim/FO3NV/Oblivion  meshes have selectable verts too?

Hello,

I'm presently editing a mesh in Nifskope by changing the values of certain Triangles to 0, 0, 0.

I am doing this to make the mesh no longer visible in game (quite a laborious exercise), I am just wondering if there could possibly be any adverse effects from doing this, it seems to work fine in game without any issue but there may be something I missed and I don't want to release content with issues.

Hello,

I'm presently editing a mesh in Nifskope by changing the values of certain Triangles to 0, 0, 0.

I am doing this to make the mesh no longer visible in game (quite a laborious exercise), I am just wondering if there could possibly be any adverse effects from doing this, it seems to work fine in game without any issue but there may be something I missed and I don't want to release content with issues.

check the tutorials page on nexus, this may be useful

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4842/?

check the tutorials page on nexus, this may be useful

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4842/?

Thanks but i'm using the mesh edit in conjunction with MaterialSwaps to change a colour pallet as a Colour Modification for an armor mod I am making, I also want to give people the option to switch between having a pouch on a belt or not as another armor modification, and I can't do that without altering the mesh or making a stupid amount of options.

One idea that could be added to the spell list if possible. Check inconsitency between "Has Vertex color" flag on the NiTriShapeData and the "Vertex Flag" used on the BSLightingShaderProperty.

This specifically gives and error number line 806 in the CK and it means that vertex colors have been flagged, but are not flagged in both NiTriShapeData and BSLightingShaderProperty like it requires.

I find myself soiled with these error messages ever to often, I have a lot of meshes edited, usually I do remove the vertex color flag on my own meshes because i simply haven no use for it.

But if I copy a BSLightingShaderProperty from a vanilla mesh and forget to remove this flag...well..there we go.

It seems that many others also forget to change these flags as well, many mods I install produce this error message.

Not sure how serious it is, can't say I've had any crashes because of it, nor any weird visual error, but better to be on the safe side there.  

Also a tool like this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61685/?

It basically fixes bad strings, this can be solved manually, but takes time if you got a few meshes to go through, better string name management would also be nice, would'nt hurt if nifskope gave you a warning if several string names were identical, this could potentially save people some hours of CTD troubleshooting their meshes.

I love the new tool, I only recently upgraded from 1.1.3 and this was just freaking awsome! Good job, i thought nifskope was on total freeze! So much better with the new shaders. Testing new normal maps is now a lot easier, don't have to fire up the CK now, that saves me some time when testing if the baked normal maps looks like they should. Very good job here. Thank you for updating this tool. :)

Hallo @ all, I need urgently help

I ve found out the hard way - by trial and error - how to add an alpha property to a texture. But i have another problem: I want to make some skimpy versions with CBBE outfits meshes. My problem now, is that under the clothes there is no skin. An outfit like "Postman" for example, that hide all parts of the Body, have no skin under the clothes. Only a small part of the left arm is there, nothing else. So when i cut out parts of the outfit, by editing an added alpha channel of the dds file, the NPC model shows holes instead of skin. (Yes I know Postman is not an outfit preset from CBBE, but the problem is the same with CBBE outfit meshes).

Can anybody tell me what i have to do, to add a complete body-skin under the clothes?

x6emh9f8.jpg

Sorry my bad english, please answer in easy clear words, and dont use hints or phrases, else i wouldnt understand, and translators cant help either.

Merry Christmas @ all

Black Widowmaker

@stndmunki

You didn't even say what game this was.  Anyway, if you say you don't have any issue then there's probably no issue.  I don't know any more than you.

@Black Widowmaker

This isn't the place to ask.  This thread is about NifSkope development.  You and stndmunki are both asking modding support questions.  If you want help with how to make sexy outfits using CBBE as the under body,  then I suggest making an account at LoversLab and asking there.   I would also suggest getting Outfit Studio and learning how to use it.

------

@Necrocytosis 

Do you mean that the CK or CK Preview give you errors when say you have "Has Vertex Colors" set to on/true but don't have any SLSF flags for Vertex Colors set?  I wasn't aware it did this.  The opposite however, the mesh should turn black if you have shaders on which mimics what happens in game.

@stndmunki

You didn't even say what game this was.  Anyway, if you say you don't have any issue then there's probably no issue.  I don't know any more than you.

@Black Widowmaker

This isn't the place to ask.  This thread is about NifSkope development.  You and stndmunki are both asking modding support questions.  If you want help with how to make sexy outfits using CBBE as the under body,  then I suggest making an account at LoversLab and asking there.   I would also suggest getting Outfit Studio and learning how to use it.

------

@Necrocytosis 

Do you mean that the CK or CK Preview give you errors when say you have "Has Vertex Colors" set to on/true but don't have any SLSF flags for Vertex Colors set?  I wasn't aware it did this.  The opposite however, the mesh should turn black if you have shaders on which mimics what happens in game.

Yepp, this does not make the mesh visibly so in the creation kit or ingame, it just produce this error message.

Not sure why i keep seeing meshes with the flag missing, bit my guess is that it is modified vanilla meshes where the mesh was exported without vertex colors and forgot to add it again.

Though this error does not seem to crash the game or cause havok on the system when using the creation kit. But it "might" be a CTD helper or maybe even take up extra resources, this i do not know. Either way, it's always nice to get rid of a CK error message, there is enough of them with dawnguard and dragonborn as masters of a plugin ^^

It seems that "Flip Faces" doesn't work in-game with Skyrim.  It renders in NIFSkope with inverted faces, and flipping the normals works as well (both in-game and NIFSkope), but in the game itself, the faces still face outwards.  If I run them through 3DS Max in this "broken" inverted face state, exporting will have them facing properly.

Hi there,

I don't know if this is useful to you, or if I am telling you information you already know, but I've learned some things about the BSConnectPoint::Parents object.

Currently, the Connect Points objects sport:

Root

Variable Name

Unknown Float 1

Unknown 6 Shorts

Unknown 4 Floats

The unknown 4 floats are easy - they're x position, y position, z position and scale (not sure why it would need a scale, but the last value is always 1, so I'm assuming it's scale).

The Unknown Float 1 + the unknown 6 shorts control rotation. I think the 6 shorts are actually 3 longers, x y and z rotation respectively. Certainly on snap points where I would expect to only see a z rotation, I'm only seeing non-zeros in the last 2 members of the 6 shorts.

I haven't been able to work out what the Unknown Float 1 has to do with rotation, but here are some numbers for the z rotation values I would expect each object to have (based on the rotations of coinciding editor markers from the same nif:

expected rotation | Unknown Float 1 | 6 Shorts[4] | 6 shorts[5]

Origin point          | 1.0                       | 0                | 0

0 deg                   | 0.70711               | 1267          | 16181

90 deg                 | 0.0                       | 0                | 16256

180 deg               | 0.70711               | 1267          | 48949

270 deg               | 1.0                       | 0                | 0

Curiously, sin(45) = 0.70711 .... :-/

Anyhoo, don't know if any of this is useful to you.

Best Regards, and thanks for your efforts,

Layam