Manual Cleaning Skyrim and Skyrim SE Master files

alt3rn1ty

17 minutes ago, vaneglorious said:

So what next when this happens? https://imgur.com/a/bzglfBt

Verified, reinstalled, same result. There is no option to remove/add/mark anything.

Have you tried to right click on the selected record, shown in the picture?

If you haven't then do that and I think there is a "Delete this record?" or perhaps a "Add..." command in the popup menu.

40 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Have you tried to right click on the selected record, shown in the picture?

If you haven't then do that and I think there is a "Delete this record?" or perhaps a "Add..." command in the popup menu.

40 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

There is no option to remove/add/mark anything.

https://imgur.com/a/0KvYS67

Edit: The editor scammed me. Just noticed that it was not finding the form ID, and was pointing me to files in Skyrim.esm, not Dawnguard.esm. Works now.

Edited by vaneglorious

• 4 months later...

Since Apply Filter for Cleaning is now defunct, here's an updated manual cleaning of Dawnguard.esm:

Make sure you first used Quick Auto-Clean on Update.esm and Dawnguard.esm

1) Go to "Apply Filter" 

2) Just keep it on the default settings which are in the image below.

3) Just press Filter.

image.thumb.png.bd8917f88f18e7b7c5b8cbd9c02c21c3.png

The default settings are enough for it to catch the records you need to manually remove from Dawnguard.esm, then continue following the guide in OP. 

^^ What he said .. probably .. I have no clue.

I do not have any Bethesda games installed anymore, and xEdit has changed greatly since I last had it installed.

Anyone wishes to re-do this topic in a new thread bringing it up to date .. Crack on :D

The first post has been updated with the same message

• 2 weeks later...

It should also be possible by making an xEdit script to remove the test cell records automatically. But I don't know how the scripting works and don't have the time to learn it(it would take me a long time since i'm not a very good programmer).

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I just did a manual cleaning following the guide on the first page, without using the "apply filter" method above, having previously auto-cleaned with the latest xEdit. The 3 wild edits were still colored, making them easy to find. The autocleaning must mark them without removing them, I guess.

That's actually the filter that gets applied. So if you don't quit out of xEdit you'll still have all the colored filters in place from the auto-clean.

• 1 year later...

XEDIT has been updated since this post. Is there an updated guide?

The first time I ran Update.esm through XEdit's Autoclean, I had three messages. I ran it through again and only had this one:

LOOT Masterlist Entries

- name: 'Update.esm'
    dirty:
      - <<: *reqManualFix
        crc: 0xEF461BD9
        util: '[SSEEdit v4.0.3](https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/164)'
        nav: 3

LOOT reports nothing and I don't see anything about it at the website either.

Sorry if this has been addressed before. 

Same thing happened with Dawnguard. First run, three messages, second run, two.

Hearthfires had two messages after first run and one after second run.

Dragonborn had two after first run and one after the second run.

After running each through autoclean twice, I ran each one though XEdit separately and selected Apply Filter to show Conflicts. All I found, though, was the one encounterzone in Dawnguard.

I'll playtest to see if anything is wrong.

Personally my advice would be to just ignore cleaning the official master files at this stage of things. xEdit has had a number of recent bugs filed due to issues with old form versions and file data in these plugins which have caused serious errors during gameplay and have resulted in several hackish workarounds being added to xEdit to account for these things.

If a mod has been correctly made in SSE, none of the issues causes by deleted records should be a problem if you're using the CK to make the mod as should be done since the CK will not display deleted references to be edited.

SSE mods without all 5 official master files should be considered invalid because they will not have accounted for any changes those DLCs make, and you can't play SSE without them.

For LE, I'd consider it problematic for a mod not to include all the DLC content as masters. But IMO nobody should still be trying to play Skyrim on a busted 32 bit engine anyway.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Are there any issues that can be caused by NOT cleaning the masters if all plugins are made correctly? Does USSEP account for non-cleaned DLC's/CC if it does cause bugs? Mator stated that ITM's from the DLC's can't cause issues since all mods are loaded after the DLC and CC. Deleted REFR have a very slight chance of crashing the game if an esp tries to reference a deleted REFR.

If mods are clean from these potential issues, is there ANYTHING that can be caused by not cleaning them?

And is your recommendation still (even after the 4.0.4 version) to not clean the masters?

Edited by jbrianj

10 minutes ago, jbrianj said:

Hi,

Are there any issues that can be caused by NOT cleaning the masters if all plugins are made correctly? Does USSEP account for non-cleaned DLC's/CC if it does cause bugs? Mator stated that ITM's from the DLC's can't cause issues since all mods are loaded after the DLC and CC. Deleted REFR have a very slight chance of crashing the game if an esp tries to reference a deleted REFR.

If mods are clean from these potential issues, is there ANYTHING that can be caused by not cleaning them?

And is your recommendation still (even after the 4.0.4 version) to not clean the masters?

There are just too many potential issues possible now with cleaning the Masters and CC Content.  Indeed, as things stand, since we first started recommending not cleaning some years ago, we have not seen or encountered any issues related to them not being cleaned.  As to mods, if it has been recommended that they be cleaned (and it may not always be necessary), then there should be no issues - at least any that are cleaning related (and it should be pointed out that when it comes to creation of mods and them requiring cleaning, things have very much improved from what they once were years ago).

So, regardless of what may be stated as to xEdit and its latest iterations, the considered opinion by those having the most experience with it and knowledge of potential issues, is that the Masters and CC content NOT be cleaned.

Hoped that helped to throw some light on the subject and answer your question, jbrianj!

Edited by smr1957

3 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

There are just too many potential issues possible now with cleaning the Masters and CC Content.  Indeed, as things stand, since we first started recommending not cleaning some years ago, we have not seen or encountered any issues related to them not being cleaned.  As to mods, if it has been recommended that they be cleaned (and it may not always be necessary), then there should be no issues - at least any that are cleaning related (and it should be pointed out that when it comes to creation of mods and them requiring cleaning, things have very much improved from what they once were years ago).

So, regardless of what may be stated as to xEdit and its latest iterations, the considered opinion by those having the most experience with it and knowledge of potential issues, is that the Masters and CC content NOT be cleaned.

Hoped that helped to throw some light on the subject and answer your question, jbrianj!

Thank you for the fast reply smr1957. I did indeed research a lot into it and have found that there are indeed still concern about potential bugs in xEdit. Which would technically not be bugs in xEdit, but serious issues with the DLC masters themselves. I will ignore LOOT's cleaning advice.

USSEP takes care of known instances where an ITM would introduce a problem. Such as buying parts for Breezehome because of an ITM in Dawnguard.esm. So in that sense Mator is wrong. Those ITMs can cause problems because they may be breaking behavior required by another DLC.

Deleted refs can still present problems, but as long as a mod has been properly built in the CK with at least the base masters for the game, they'll never be encountered while making it. This does present issues with old LE mods being brought forward which have not been properly ported over, but those are mods you should avoid using to begin with because they'll probably have other quality issues as well.

Generally speaking though, the risks far outweigh the benefits. So you should leave the official content alone. Including anything coming from the CC.