Manual Cleaning Skyrim and Skyrim SE Master files

alt3rn1ty

If anyone is wondering when an update will come to this guide .. When the next official version of xEdit comes out of beta on Nexus

.. But note I can only now support updating the info for Skyrim Special Edition : I no longer have Skyrim LE

Currently I am using the latest development version on afk mods (at the bottom of the first post is a "Download" link).

There are a couple of differences to the results, but I will not be updating the OP until the official release because if I do, then there will be a train of questions why people still using the older but public release are getting different results .. So I need to wait until it goes live .. However I realise like yourselves that the dev version is more than likely the better version to support SSE since the Creation Club update to SSE has already gone live

With that in mind here are my results, which I have carefully checked using the dev version of 3.2.1 - But only for Skyrim Special Edition (as explained above).

Update.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 17403, Removed Records: 234, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[Undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 17169, Undeleted Records: 91, Elapsed Time: 00:00

Dawnguard.esm
1st clean :
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 98676, Removed Records: 621, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[Undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 98055, Undeleted Records: 82, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
2nd clean
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 98054, Removed Records: 6, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[Undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 98048, Undeleted Records: 0, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
3rd clean

Hearthfires.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 17830, Removed Records: 178, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[Undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 17652, Undeleted Records: 11, Elapsed Time: 00:00
<Warning: Plugin contains 5 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

Dragonborn.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 214498, Removed Records: 69, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[Undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 214429, Undeleted Records: 8, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 1 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

The highlighted results are the changes from previous results

38 minutes ago, alt3rn1ty said:

If anyone is wondering when an update will come to this guide .. When the next official version of xEdit comes out of beta on Nexus

.. But note I can only now support updating the info for Skyrim Special Edition : I no longer have Skyrim LE

Currently I am using the latest development version on afk mods (at the bottom of the first post is a "Download" link).

There are a couple of differences to the results, but I will not be updating the OP until the official release because if I do, then there will be a train of questions why people still using the older but public release are getting different results .. So I need to wait until it goes live .. However I realise like yourselves that the dev version is more than likely the better version to support SSE since the Creation Club update to SSE has already gone live

With that in mind here are my results, which I have carefully checked using the dev version of 3.2.1 - But only for Skyrim Special Edition (as explained above).

The plugin changes to SSE are primarily to support the Creation Club and notably the Survival creation. Since LE won't be getting either of those the master files will likely never get any further updates. I can't think of any reason why they would since Bethesda even removed LE from the search system.

Yep I think I will still be keeping the LE parts of all the guides, the only thing which could upset the applecart would be if xEdit future developments change the long standing results and they become out of date, I cant see that happening though because the records for Skyrim LE are pretty well established now. The Manual part of the cleaning for LE will never change either because Bethesda just will not bother their arse to prune those redundant records (if they were going to it would have happened for SSE aswell) .. I am just declaring for everyone that from this point forward I cannot support it just in case.

The thing that prompted me to make that declaration is the new development in the xEdit v3.2.1, does that also change any results for LE ? .. Right now I dont know, and really dont feel like installing oldrim just to find out :

Though I might give it one last go to put the lid on LE, then uninstall it again .. Someone has called into question one of the MD5 checksums on Nexus, which is odd because the same methods to check those have been used on all the other results which proved correct.

And recently I found sometimes Windows 10 can eff things up, its like you can have a cached version of a file even though you know you have just put it through the process, and xEdit has saved the plugin, a copy of the file pasted back into another folder becomes the older file .. That has shaken my confidence a bit so yesterday I went through re-doing my own cleaned masters, but the trick is refresh the folder being copied from after xEdit has done its part (I dont know if its the same for Windows 8, but Win 10 has a little refresh icon similar to web browsers, next to the file path), and checking the file info timestamp to make sure it matches the edit just done, before any copy backs and checks on the results are done.

One more thing, and before anyone asks :

Cleaning ESL's, I just will not be going there because I dont intend getting any ESLs on my machine, and .. Well, how long could that list grow ?? .. Just no thank you not interested in supporting that idea :P

• 1 month later...

The newest SSEEdit 3da194b seems to now automatically clean CELL 00016BCF: Remove XEZN subrecord referring to RiftenRatwayZone [ECZN:0009FBB9]

from Dawnguard.esm in the first pass.

6 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

The newest SSEEdit 3da194b seems to now automatically clean CELL 00016BCF: Remove XEZN subrecord referring to RiftenRatwayZone [ECZN:0009FBB9]

from Dawnguard.esm in the first pass.

Thanks Sladen : Note to self when I update the guide after the new xEdit goes live

• 2 months later...

I think it would be useful to add the results from both the dev version and the stable version of SSEEdit, because when I cleaned the Update.esm in the 3.2 version I got 228 ITM and 91 UDR.

At first I thought I did something wrong after I cleaned the Update.esm the first time and now after I verified game cache in Steam twice I got the same result as above and in the OP it says 233 ITM, UDR 91.

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I think it would be useful to add the results from both the dev version and the stable version of SSEEdit, because when I cleaned the Update.esm in the 3.2 version I got 228 ITM and 91 UDR.

At first I thought I did something wrong after I cleaned the Update.esm the first time and now after I verified game cache in Steam twice I got the same result as above and in the OP it says 233 ITM, UDR 91.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:21 AM, alt3rn1ty said:

Thanks Sladen : Note to self when I update the guide after the new xEdit goes live

• 2 months later...

Here are the numbers I got from cleaning SE 1.5.39 using TES5Edit_82ea72e Dev version downloaded today, if anyone is interested.

Update:

ITM Removed:239

Undeleted:91

Dawnguard:

First Pass

ITM Removed 621

Undeleted 82

2nd Pass

ITM Removed 6

Undeleted 0

Hearthfires:

ITM Removed 178

Undeleted 11

Dragonborn:

ITM Removed 69

Undeleted 8

Manually cleaning the 3 cells in Dawnguard is still necessary. A previous post of mine said one was automatically cleaned, but I was mistaken. I may have overlooked it or cleaned it prior and forgot about it or an update didnt affect Dawnguard esm.

2 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

Here are the numbers I got from cleaning SE 1.5.39 using TES5Edit_82ea72e Dev version downloaded today

ITM/UDR numbers seem to be identical to mine. Thanks for the heads up about the new version!

Yeah I think I have changed my mind and need to update this after I come off shifts next week, instead of waiting on the next official release of xEdit. Your results look like the same I got a few days ago.

xEdit beta period I think is probably going to be a while longer than usual, so the update is going to have to specify the dev version as the one to use for the results I will be posting.

Reason I think its going to be a while is aswell as Zilavs settling period for xEdit as a whole, Sheson has also been expanding its capabilities recently which will need a settling / maturing period too before it is encompassed in the whole xEdit multi talented package xLODGen for anyone that has not seen it, is quite an advancement on the old LODGen which is part of xEdit, and recently Sheson has said the advancements may also be applied for TES4LODGen aswell ..

.. Have a read of this topic, (not just the OP), those Cell Border issues that can make it look like there is a step cut out of a hillside which disappears the closer you get? those are now History! :)

Is the manual cleaning of the first record still necessary? The record in Dawnguard.esm seems to be identical to the one in Update.esm.

They both have "RiftenRatwayZone [ECZN:0009FBB9]" in Encounter Zone.

• 2 weeks later...

@Artaios If it is exactly the same in Update, sounds like Bethesda have spuriously included it in that plugin too so that will also need manually cleaning out - Are we talking Skyrim LE or SE ?

@Arthmoor Have you found the same as Artaios ?, and I guess I am right in thinking if it is the case Update duplicates the same dirty edit that also needs cleaning out?

-----------------

xEdit version 3.2.1 has now gone live on Nexus, so its time to update the guides, just downloading / installing oldrim again temporarily, then after the update oldrim is never going back on my HD (hopefully) .. Will take a few days at this to ensure I get everything right.

No, Danwguard.esm still has the erroneous setting for RiftenRatwayZone. It is not present in Update.esm.

Thank you for the check on that Arthmoor, wanted to get that right before I start (just finished setting up oldrim again and everything I need)

Well I need not have bothered re-installing Skyrim LE, the new records xEdit can handle has not made any difference to the results there, even the CRCs are exactly the same.

Onwards to Skyrim SE tomorrow

On 4/9/2018 at 2:56 AM, Sladen2019 said:

Here are the numbers I got from cleaning SE 1.5.39 using TES5Edit_82ea72e Dev version downloaded today, if anyone is interested.

Update:

ITM Removed:239

Undeleted:91

Dawnguard:

First Pass

ITM Removed 621

Undeleted 82

2nd Pass

ITM Removed 6

Undeleted 0

Hearthfires:

ITM Removed 178

Undeleted 11

Dragonborn:

ITM Removed 69

Undeleted 8

Manually cleaning the 3 cells in Dawnguard is still necessary. A previous post of mine said one was automatically cleaned, but I was mistaken. I may have overlooked it or cleaned it prior and forgot about it or an update didnt affect Dawnguard esm.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:09 AM, DSeyka said:

ITM/UDR numbers seem to be identical to mine. Thanks for the heads up about the new version!

Checked and double checked, Skyrim LE results remain the same, xEdit v3.2.1 did not add any new record to those plugins results, and the checksums are still all correct.

@Sladen2019 and @DSeyka For Skyrim SE using xEdit v2.3.1 official release on Nexus, my results concur with yours for all details, including the CRC and MD5 checksums DSeyka did. And reference Sladen2019, I agree all the manual cleaning remains extant with no changes there, all three edits still need to be done on Dawnguard.esm after the automated cleaning.

Thats this guide updated at last .. Now for all the other duplicates I wish I never started :)

@Leonardo I finally got round to it :)

Because the entry you are looking for is not in update.esm? (your arrow is not making things clear to me and I do not understand what your image has to do with this cleaning guide), as Arthmoor confirmed, you only need to clean the one we were talking about out of DawnGuard.esm

Just follow the guide to the letter, and if you are starting with a vanilla Dawnguard.esm you should find everything the same.

I dont understand what your test.esp is all about, and do not wish to know .. It has nothing to do with this guide.

If you are having trouble making a mod or something, open up your own troubleshooting topic, say in this part of the forum.

Or if you just dont understand something about xEdit, ask about it in the xEdit topic

It doesn't clean it automatically because it has no way to know if its inclusion or removal is intentional. It requires a manual judgment call to be made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Cleaned the new updated masters for SSE 1.5.53 again just now, and got some different numbers for Update.esm and Dawnguard.esm. Hearthfire and Dragonborn are unchanged. New version of SSEEdit-295bd3c used.

Update

ITM -  17699 Processed and 246 Removed

Undelete - 17453 Processed 91 Undeleted

Warning: Plugin contains 2 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted

Dawnguard First Pass

ITM - 98676 Processed and 626 Removed

Undelete - 98050 Processed and 82 Undeleted

Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted

Dawnguard Second Pass

ITM - 98049 Processed and 6 Removed

Undelete - 98043 Processed and 0 Undeleted

Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted

Thanks for the heads up Sladen, but I am now going to simplify this topic so it does not need updating every time xEdit has an overhaul, or Bethesda pump out new masters to accommodate even more Creation Club mods compatability, and make even more dirty edits to the original masters ..

I have dropped listing results and CRCs, and just describe the method. If I were to change results to the development version of xEdit, then people using just the official will be complaining the results are wrong, and if I direct people to use development version instead .. how long before it goes official? and I have to redirect people again?. People still get it wrong sometimes even when they think they have the same version of xEdit (official or beta), and my list of pre-checked results to help .. And then there is the odd pirate with wacky results .. So its probably best left to the capability of the user to follow instructions to the letter, at least if they dont catch everything they will be cleaning out the majority of ITMs and UDRs, and this game is old enough now to have a mature enough community who are mostly well versed in such things. I think this topic and the duplicates elsewhere have done the job.

Will update other guide pages on other sites aswell.

Main reason for the change though is I am not very active with Bethesda modding anymore, and have no interest apart from a veeeery long awaited long term playthrough which I have a set bunch of mods for which is not going to change at all now. I have broken my previous barrier of level 45 in game (previously whenever I got there for one reason or another I would end up restarting a new game), and I am discovering things in game still which I have never seen before because I have not followed all potential quests (the amount of times I have walked past Pinewatch and never realised there was more to that place than meets the eye) .. Its a quest of completing everything I haven't done before :) .. But thats only when I am not playing No Mans Sky, which kind of takes up most of my spare time now. X4 is out in November too, no doubt that will be another huge time sink for me.

Edit : I concur with your results, tried the new Development xEdit from GitHub earlier today.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:48 PM, alt3rn1ty said:

Thanks for the heads up Sladen, but I am now going to simplify this topic so it does not need updating every time xEdit has an overhaul, or Bethesda pump out new masters to accommodate even more Creation Club mods compatability, and make even more dirty edits to the original masters ..

I have dropped listing results and CRCs, and just describe the method. If I were to change results to the development version of xEdit, then people using just the official will be complaining the results are wrong, and if I direct people to use development version instead .. how long before it goes official? and I have to redirect people again?. People still get it wrong sometimes even when they think they have the same version of xEdit (official or beta), and my list of pre-checked results to help .. And then there is the odd pirate with wacky results .. So its probably best left to the capability of the user to follow instructions to the letter, at least if they dont catch everything they will be cleaning out the majority of ITMs and UDRs, and this game is old enough now to have a mature enough community who are mostly well versed in such things. I think this topic and the duplicates elsewhere have done the job.

Will update other guide pages on other sites aswell.

Main reason for the change though is I am not very active with Bethesda modding anymore, and have no interest apart from a veeeery long awaited long term playthrough which I have a set bunch of mods for which is not going to change at all now. I have broken my previous barrier of level 45 in game (previously whenever I got there for one reason or another I would end up restarting a new game), and I am discovering things in game still which I have never seen before because I have not followed all potential quests (the amount of times I have walked past Pinewatch and never realised there was more to that place than meets the eye) .. Its a quest of completing everything I haven't done before :) .. But thats only when I am not playing No Mans Sky, which kind of takes up most of my spare time now. X4 is out in November too, no doubt that will be another huge time sink for me.

Edit : I concur with your results, tried the new Development xEdit from GitHub earlier today.

i agree with the changes; its good that it will be a bit more future-proof than it has been in the past. hopefully one day youll get back into the TES mod scene.. TES VI anyone?

• 1 month later...