Manual Cleaning Skyrim and Skyrim SE Master files

alt3rn1ty

It does make me wonder though if that old Havok bug resurfaced. It would be pretty weird for it to wait this long for someone to notice it, but stranger things have happened.

That's assuming there isn't an old Snip-made mod tucked in there somewhere because that kind of stuff WAS pretty common during that time.

It means you started with exactly the same masters version we did, you followed the cleaning exactly as we did, and you have resulting files exactly the same as we have .. Byte for byte perfect match throughout the plugin, otherwise you would not have the same CRC or MD5 for the resulting cleaned plugins.

That couldn't be more obvious.

Arthmoor: It also was present when coc'ing directly there from the main menu, so I don't think that's the issue. I have no mod made with snip afaik, I've been pretty thorough looking through all the descriptions and reading all the reddit/forum posts about the mods I'm using as I don't want the same issues I've had in the past. I am pretty thorough about things, but not averted to making errors or ill-advised choices. If you wish I can provide my load order if you think it would help determine the issue, I am not an expert on TES5's engine and I will defer to your greater knowledge.

That couldn't be more obvious.

Maybe I missunderstood what you meant by "Thank you both, I can verify that my cleaned files match the crc/md5 hashes. What that means... a mystery.", I read that as you not understanding what the hash checks were providing for you, so explained it.

Arthmoor: It also was present when coc'ing directly there from the main menu, so I don't think that's the issue. I have no mod made with snip afaik, I've been pretty thorough looking through all the descriptions and reading all the reddit/forum posts about the mods I'm using as I don't want the same issues I've had in the past. I am pretty thorough about things, but not averted to making errors or ill-advised choices. If you wish I can provide my load order if you think it would help determine the issue, I am not an expert on TES5's engine and I will defer to your greater knowledge.

Much as I dont wish to propagate this off topic personal problem solving any further in this Cleaning Guide topic ..

Have you tried going from the ground up, vanilla game with nothing installed, just clean your masters, then visit the areas affected with a New Game start ?

Then add mods bit by bit ( Start with Unofficial patches first ) and see when it starts happening again ?

Maybe its leftover problems in your saves if not the plugins you currently use ?

Maybe its loose meshes which include bits of land from flora and fauna replacers ?

Those would be the obvious train of thought for me if it was my problem. And would probably take very little time. I reckon it would take maybe an hour and a half to get to the stage where I had uninstalled all my Wrye Bash BAINs ( 5 minutes ), checked the Data folder that nothing other than vanilla files remained ( 1 minute ), cleaned masters again from a Verify Cache ( 30 minutes ), and then would be revisiting the area repeatedly to watch for the problem again, and re-installing mods files - The latter would be the longest waiting for the intro sequence etc and making your way back to South Lake Illinata before re-introducing your mods files.

Good luck finding your problem files.

Edit : PS there is a Modding Support and Discussion part of the forum where you can start your own troubleshooting topic with a PYLO ( Post Your Load Order ), machine specs and anything else relevant like changes to ini's, mass merging of plugins, personal editing and steps taken to get to where you are, upload a save file for inspection etc.

• 5 months later...

The tutorial went pretty smooth except for when it came time to delete the wild edits in Dawngard.esm. For example, right clicking on the 0001FA4C entry, there was no Remove option in the contextual menu as there was in the tutorial, delete button does work either, nor does double clicking. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm on the latest TES5Edit as of today: 3.1.2

The tutorial went pretty smooth except for when it came time to delete the wild edits in Dawngard.esm. For example, right clicking on the 0001FA4C entry, there was no Remove option in the contextual menu as there was in the tutorial, delete button does work either, nor does double clicking. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm on the latest TES5Edit as of today: 3.1.2

:shrug: Bizarre. Why you dont have a right click context menu with Remove as an option for records you have highlighted is beyond me.

XesC2vC.jpg

I am now using an even more up to date version of TES5Edit than the one you are using, and it still has the same ability.

Editing is disabled when an error occures during background loading or it hasn't finished yet.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who still needs to follow this guide :

I am currently updating it ( some old direct links to wiki paragraphs have been lost due to Bethesda re-organising their wiki's )

So to become less dependant upon other links and information, I am fleshing it out a bit with more images

It also needs an update to file CRCs ( at the end of the first post ) due to Zilavs recent changes to xEdit

So you now need to be a bit more up to date and use the Work In Progress version of xEdit available from Fallout 4 Nexus ( link for this in the first post has also been updated )

Edit : I believe the first post is now up to date, a bit better presented, new CRCs and MD5 checksums have been checked correct ( I did the cleaning routine twice round with all masters repeatedly cleaned at each stage, to make sure I was consistently getting the same results )

Anyone using MD5 Checksums .. I will get around to them later, another job to do first.

After you cleaned a mod from ITM and/or UDR and don't save and exit in xEdit, there will be a new right click menu available to show entries for that mod in BOSS and LOOT format including checksums.

After you cleaned a mod from ITM and/or UDR and don't save and exit in xEdit, there will be a new right click menu available to show entries for that mod in BOSS and LOOT format including checksums.

Aah, I missed you posting this ( had multiple tabs open while re-editing ) so I used another MD5 checksum generator

Nice feature though, wish I had noticed your post a few minutes earlier :)

• 4 weeks later...
Updated the first post again : Due to Skyrim Nexus TES5Edit now has the updated version 3.1.3

( so no need to reference the Fallout 4 version and any renaming of exe's etc etc )

Is the rule of cleaning ESPs one by one still valid? I ran a test with a tonload of ESPs [20 or something], first by cleaning them one by one and then all at once and the amount of detected dirty records hasn't changed one iota.

Yes, the rule of "one by one" is still the norm. You can't guarantee accurate results any other way.

After a fresh installation I began to clean the official esm and Update.esm had the same result as what this tutorial have.

ITM 96 Removed Records

UDR 3 undeleted Records

But when I loaded Dawnguard.esm into TES5Edit I notice this.

[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim.esm] Warning: File contains duplicated top level group: GRUP Top "HAZD"

Is that message harmless or is it something the user needs to pay attention?

I'll update my post with more result from the other cleaned esm.

Thanks zilav.

I guess that message is another debug message leftover.

Oh, I almost forgot ot mention that I got exactly the same result for the official esm as what alt3rn1ty included in the OP.

Nope, it is not a leftover. Whatever Bethesda used for merging changes in master file is bugged and creates duplicate top level groups.

Typical Bethesda to do such a thing and I guess that's the main reason why this community have been around for so long.  Just correct the mistakes Bethesda have done or what they're gonna to do in the future. :P

• 1 month later...

Today I follow this tutorial and after I manually cleaned Dawnguard.esm I can see an empty Sub-Block 1 in Block 8.  Is it safe to remove that empty Sub-Block 1 in Block 8?

Btw... I'm using TES5Edit 3.1.3.

My bad I forgot to add this.

That happen after I did this.

3. For "CELL 0006C3B6: Wild edit. Remove this record. It's a testing cell." ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leo

Personally I also removed Sub-Block 1 from Block 8, because there is no information for the game to use now in that block, and because I am very unlikely to need to put anything back in that Block.

But there is nothing wrong with leaving it empty, as Zilav just said the game has many empty ones already which do nothing.

• 1 month later...

For anyone wondering about cleaning Skyrim SE ..

Zilav has already done a SSE version of xEdit - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/164/?

( Apparently there was not much in terms of records to update to make it compatible )

So I have done the usual and cleaned the masters for SE .. And its pretty much the same as for Skyrim Original

I will make another guide specifically over the coming weeks among other things I will be up to, but for now if you follow this guide and apply it to SE ( just dont pay too close attention to getting the same ITMs and UDRs ) you will be fine.

Dawnguard still needs cleaned a couple of times, and the manual cleaning for that plugin remains the same too.

Amongst all the plugins you will probably notice Bethesda has managed to introduce a few more ITMs and UDRs along the way.

Bethesda, start using xEdit ffs :P, you know it makes sense :).