Dissecting a Plugin in TESEdit

garthand

I recently ran into a mod conflict caused by the .esp for Ethereal Elven Overhaul (a texture mod) and figured this would be a good opportunity to learn more about taking a plugin apart in TES5Edit. The conflict is that when Romlyn Dreth is sent to prison, with this plugin enabled he immediately opens the cell door and goes back to sandboxing in the Black-Briar meadery. The mod has no scripts.

So first things first, here's the record of changes this plugin makes to Romlyn Dreth as compared to Skyrim.esm:

EEO TESEdit

Now what I can see is that Romlyn Dreth is having his nose, lips and chin modified, but nothing else, so my hypothesis is that the source of the conflict is located elsewhere. And here are all of the other differences between the two plugins apart from the Texture Set category:

EEO TESEdit 2

However, I then got the idea to compare EEO to the USKP and found that the AI packages for all of the elves modified were copied from Skyrim.esm, and so are missing the USKP fixes!

EEO TESEdit 3

The solution, although tedious is to copy over the USKP fixes when necessary. Obviously changes to the appearance to elven NPCs are intentional and should be left in place, but missing faction info or incorrect AI packages must be corrected. I was able to do this by right-clicking in the affected category for EEO, and if data was present, clicking Edit (new if the field was blank) and copying over the data from the USKP.

That's a handy description for mod trouble shooting 101. I might link to it for some beginners in the future. Thanks for the nice pictural explanation.

The drag 'n drop feature of a specific field from a column to another may save your time on large mods with many modifications.

That's a handy description for mod trouble shooting 101. I might link to it for some beginners in the future. Thanks for the nice pictural explanation.

It would be nice to have a guide like that. When I have the time I'll put together a more detailed guide based on what I learn.

The drag 'n drop feature of a specific field from a column to another may save your time on large mods with many modifications.

Thanks, this is a huge time saver!

So it seems clear that some types of data should obviously be merged (like AI packages, NPCs having the wrong gender, etc) but other things are a bit less clear to me, since I'm not sure if they're core to the functionality of the retexture (like tint and color settings). I'll have to run this through Skyrim a couple of times to figure out what was going on.

Worth noting that for Oblivion this would have been solvable in Wrye Bash with the Actors.AIPackages tag on the USKP. :P

Worth noting that for Oblivion this would have been solvable in Wrye Bash with the Actors.AIPackages tag on the USKP. :P

Wow that's really cool, hopefully they can eventually get that kind of stuff working for Skyrim. By that point I'm not sure it will matter though, everyone will have done manual wworkaroundsby that point :X