Nexus CDN caching old files with uploads done

alt3rn1ty

The problem of Nexus caching old files in its distributed network is still a W.I.P at this time

I originally posted the question in an ongoing topic which has since been locked and the question would therefore never receive a reply - Opened a New Topic which has been responded to by admin.

Fingers crossed the work being done will resolve it, otherwise a slight rename of new files updated is the way to get around it.

( I dont know if that messes with NMM updating users files or not - In fact I dont even know how NMM differentiates between different main files and optional files on the same mod page if they have updates, unless NMM assumes one main file .. and thats it, anyway, not particularly bothered, personally I use Wrye Bash so such auto-update problems dont bother me  :P, tracking files on nexus is good enough )

Doesn't Nexus auto-change the file names if you upload and specify a new version number?

Yep so it should be obvious if anyone redownloads an old file they are being given by the CDN, but what I see around the bazaars is author uploads an update ( similar to USK 2.0.7 ), gets complaints its the same file and problems that version had, author reuploads and maybe one or two more complaints of the same, then the author says well the upload went fine .. And then it goes quiet with presumeably a bunch of people scratching their heads for a day. Then the next day they try again without any problems and chalk it up to nexus being nexus.  :shrug:

I dont understand the whole CDN system really, maybe the CDN is not tied into nexus version numbers ? and only the filename as written when you name it during the upload ( ie nexus mod page name as opposed to the actual filename - I change both slightly just to be sure when uploading mine, and the download works fine first time every time ) ... but Nexus admin have said it is still a work in progress so there is obviously something wrong which needs fixed.

From the way they explained it, the CDN caches by filename. So if you upload modfile.7z and it's up for a bit and you discover a problem you have to either change the version number or change the filename to modfilenew.7z or something. Since Nexus appends version numbers to the file names by default that's usually the easiest way to deal with it. Which is why things like 2.0.7 vs 2.0.7a work.

The USKP sat in CDN hell for a lot longer than one day though, which makes me think their CDN isn't revalidating properly. I'm not really sure why they wouldn't use the CRC value of the file itself.