RealTek Sound Cards & Skyrim Audio Issues

garthand

I've been struggling for pretty much forever with Skyrim audio issues, where NPC dialogue drops out at random intervals depending on where you're standing in relation to them. I've tried a bunch of configuration changes, but nothing seems to be working, I'll probably need to just get a dedicated sound card.

I've never bought one before, however. Can you get a decent sound card for under $50? ANy brands to look for or avoid? Not really sure what I'm doing here, other than cruising around Newegg and plugging in the first one I see into a PCI slot haha.

I havent had a problem with sound for quite a while ( new mobo on the desktop since ) ..

But I recall something about RealTek defaulting to configurations which cause such problems, and it depends on which OS you are using as to how advanced you can go into driver settings - With RealTek it used to be easier to get to the right settings on Win XP, and depends on how up to date your realtek drivers are .. At the time I had problems with it the newer software omitted the necessary settings ( and it was the newest driver software, I had to revert to older software for my previous mobo and set it correctly ) ...

But anyway, the info you need I think is possibly related to the following topic http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1260478-sound-volume-issues-thread-1/

Reference 44100khz and 5.1 with Virtual Surround enabled ( if you dont have a rear speakers ) - IIRC it gets around you not being able to set 2.1 if that is your setup and the option is not available, and also check Loudness Equalization under Enhancements ( this bit was missing for me with the updated drivers ) ..

.. Or combinations of those, should solve the problem hopefully.

Reference buying one - I havent for years, onboard PC sound has advanced so fast I dont think anyone needs a dedicated sound card anymore unless you have superman hearing a motherboards sound chip is probably the equivalent of old sounblaster cards these days. Although I think there is still something to be said for them in the performance department, I think a dedicated sound card can still alleviate some CPU involvement in the handling of sound.

I have RealTek and have had no such issues, so I can't say if a dedicated sound card would help. Sounds like a waste of money to me. :shrug:

Only advice I have is to make sure your sound controller and drivers are up to date. I also apparently have an NVIDIA High Definition Audio controller to go with the RealTek High Definition Audio controller. Can't say if that's a difference there either.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of R&D or benchmarking for those much these days.

This site doesn't provide a price guide, and what used to be good doesn't appear to get any software upgrade.

Hana I think in your case NVidia ( when you update your Graphics drivers ) bundle in High Def Sound drivers too which will, by default, install if they are found to be compatible with your onboard sound - So they have taken over handling the sound, but left your old drivers installed aswell.

Tyranny of the defaults.

I'm using an onboard Realtek as well. No issues like you're describing have ever hit my game. So I think checking your defaults is the way to go here.

If you're looking to get a sound card, Creative Labs is pretty much the way to go. The Soundblaster line of cards hasn't really had any serious competition in 15 years or more.

The high definition audio drivers that nVidia and AMD both install is for HDMI audio output and chances are you'd know if you're using that because it would require an HDMI audio cable to be hooked up to your video card.

This is probably not related, but I once had a sound issue for NVIDIA High Definition Audio with 5.1 Sound System in Morrowind and that happen when I was in cave and couldn't hear a voice from a NPC due to much noise from the water.

So I asked about it and I think it was Pluto who said to me that if I notice something like that then I could try to switch Sound - Software to Sound - Hardware Accelerated just to see if that helps.  Sorry I can't link to that due to broken search on BSF.

Have you tried to switch Sound - Software to Sound Hardware Accelerated?

I also experience this. I have a realtek card, though I won't be able to change that as I have a laptop :P

I always thought it was just Skyrim being Skyrim. Another bug. Good to know it's a hardware thing now.

What you have for speakers is probably a major factor as well, I noticed this on my 4.1 speakers, can't remember if or how I fixed it. (Have been using my Home Theatre for my speakers lately)

It seems to be that Skyrim tries to play the dialogue on a non-existent centre channel. (where Virtual Surround mode might help as suggested above)

I have a Realtek Audio card too and haven't had this problem as far as I know. My speakers are also over 10 years old and seem to work relatively well given that they are analog and not digital.

I use an analog headset, made by a company known for quality. So I'm going to rule that out, at least for me. I'm betting it's my driver settings not playing nice with Skyrim.

The Realtek HD is fine here on 16bit 48kHz, but remember having issues when trying to up it to 24 bit or checking any of the items in the enhancements tab which include, unfortunately, virtual surround sound. There's an AMD HD audio device on the GPU that works fine regardless of the not plugged in issue.

The Realtek HD is fine here on 16bit 48kHz, but remember having issues when trying to up it to 24 bit or checking any of the items in the enhancements tab which include, unfortunately, virtual surround sound. There's an AMD HD audio device on the GPU that works fine regardless of the not plugged in issue.

I had it set at 24bit 48khz, I'll give 16bit a go then

I had it set at 24bit 48khz, I'll give 16bit a go then

Did you have any luck?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've gone through and tried everything I can think of, including grabbing the latest drivers again and toggling every setting conceivable, but the issue is just as stubborn and persistent as ever.

I'll most likely be ordering a new sound card, and I'll let you know how it goes.