Cheap or Free Games

Arthmoor

You're right, that's a blasphemy. I remember when Skyrim had 94%. I guess those newer generations that came along recently are spoiled. :P Still, even 90% with 133k reviews is a stellar rating.

No worries, I already bought Pillars. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I think the payed mods may have something to do with it in Skyrim's case.

Fallout 3 sits at 17% negatives. I bet in addition to bugs and an unwillingness to run on modern OSs, that fans of old FO 1+2) disliked aspects of it. The latter can also be said about PoE and really serious fans of Baldurs Gate, or about Wasteland 2 and those fans (and backers) who still to this day replay the original Wastland (and disliked anything that looked like fallout). Or Skyrim being downvoted by people who prefer Morrowind.

You may want to know that the upcoming DLC for PoE will be released in parallel with a huge 2.0 patch, which introduces a few rebalances. Those Indie kickstarted RPGs all released a bit rough around the edges. PoE definatelly was on the more polished side of things though. Still, its in the process of being tweaked. You may want to hold out a few weeks before really starting a playthrough

I think the payed mods may have something to do with it in Skyrim's case.

Yep, before the paid mods fuss Skyrim had 98%, i.e. "Overwhelmingly positive". A lot of people called for downvoting. The tide is over but most of negative reviews remained.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/33w7ri/skyrims_steam_user_rating_drops_from_98_to_90_as/

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/33xisv/skyrim_is_down_to_an_88_approval_rating_in_the/

All that downvoting was about the most immature thing I'd seen during the paid mods run. The game was never at fault.

Of course the negative reviews remained. Outrage over. Attention span shifted elsewhere. They simply never came back to undo it all.

I remember it had overwhelmingly positive rating, but 98%? Hell yeah!

What Arthmoor has said... can't believe people were so childish and rude to dis the gaming beauty because of poor implementation and introduction of paid mods. Now that's a disgrace.

Gruftlord, I'll wait for v2.0 then! I'd rather play a polished and fixed game than rush with the gameplay. Thanks!

All i'm saying is: the same can be said for the other games as well. It's a popularity contest and people aren't voting objectively. So take the downvotes with a grain of salt and try to see behind the written text to find the true reason of some of the negativity towards a certain game. Then, and only then try to decide whether the same issues would be a detriment to your own enjoyment (e.g FO3 is now 1st person, Skyrim got rid of Stats, Wasteland 2 has isometric pseudo-tactical combat. They all differ from their predecessors, so some disliked this. Doesn't really mean it made the games objectivelly worse, especially to newcomers to a series).

What are some the major negative comments to PoE? How many hours have the people expressing them logged?

I do take both good and bad reviews with a grain of salt - especially commercial reviews. People nowadays are lazy, spoiled or just plain - stupid. More often than not, I enjoyed the game/music/books that critics have bashed. One thing is certain - when a game receives "overwhelmingly positive" marks, you usually can't go wrong with it. Skyrim is already such an established and legendary game, no matter how much poisonous comments it gets for wrong reasons, they just won't hurt.

About PoE, several people complained about the main villain (the lack of clear understanding why are you chasing him relentlessly), unbalanced and repetitive combat that represents 1/3 of a game. Those people had from +100 hours to +60h logged. Some complained about the shallow story, but some said story was great and philosophical... definitely a subjective thing. Anyway so far I don't regret anything, it looks great and hopefully V2 will come soon. :)

Saw a post on Reddit that mentioned http://IsThereAnyDeal.comand took a peek.

Legendary Edition seems to be on rolling sale at several placed more or less all the time: http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=elderscrollsvskyrimlegendaryedition

I can't vouch for the legitimacy of all of them, but it's probably worth a look!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skyrim Legendary Edition is on sale on Steam for the next 17 hours. 50% off! :poke:

Also DLCs on sale separately at 40% off if you're just missing one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, thank you. saved me 10€ and i got another 20% voucher for the season pass on top.

btw: 80% voucher for Skyrim legendary included as well, in case someone is interested.

Edit: It's downloading. I now have a Fallout 4 Icon on my Desktop. YAY!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone here has ever wanted to grab the Galactic Civilizations games, GoG.com has them on sale right now. GalCiv 3, 50% off ($25) and the other two for $5 each.

Steam's Fall Sale is underway - Skyrim Legendary Edition for $9.99. Those of you holding out, this would be one of the best times to strike!

Oh, and for you GoG fans, Witcher 3 is on sale 50% off ($29.99) and the other two games are on sale for peanuts.