Are Frost Runes considered bugged/are they fixed?

thelee

Googling around only gives me the sparsest information about this. But, E.G.:

1. A lot of sites appear to be under the assumption that, from a gameplay mechanic perspective, any frost effect should slow.

2. Yet, Frost Rune does not have any slow effect (either listed at UESP wiki or this thread which mentions no speed mult: http://www.gamesas.com/behesda-please-fix-frost-slow-effect-t245054.html)

3. Allegedly, according to UESP the stamina damage may be only half normal and Deep Freeze does not activate with it.

I'm away from my gaming PC for a while so I can't test out #2 and #3 with or without the UKSP, but it made me concerned that the Rune spells in general (due to I guess a lack of many people using them) may just be bugged in several ways (I also don't see a Disintegrate effect listed in UESP for Lightning Rune, for example). I don't see any mentions of rune spells in either the official changelog or the list of mods that the UKSP obviates.

Does anyone have any insight into the bugged/not bugged status of the Rune spells?

PS: You all should know that the steps to validate an account registration on this site is broken. I had to manually edit the link in the registration email before I stopped getting 404s (one of the request parameters is incorrectly printed).

Just my opinion, but I don't see this as a bug. I see it as they intentionally didn't want to add it. No reason why they can't be slightly different in what they do. :shrug:

Like with all ES games, magic was an after thought it seems. :( I have looked into it myself with TES5Edit, I found many instances of this fact.

Adding the ability to use these perks with the rune spells would make them much better, though outside the scope of USKP

Could also be that they don't intend magic to be that powerful either. TES games have never been examples of flash spellcraft.

Melee = Bad damage + good defense

Magic = Good damage + bad defense

Most RPGs worth their salt follow this rule. However ES has always been a little different in the fact that you can mix and match this stuff. Despite that I have seen no lore reason why magic would ever be weaker than a common weapon. Still, this is more reason to at least balance them equally

Perhaps they intended you to mix and match from the beginning? That's all I can think of, but then melee is still stronger.

So then the fact that Frost Rune doesn't slow, and no Rune works with their respective perk (Deep Freeze, Disintegrate, whatever the Fire one is) is considered working as intended and outside the scope of the unofficial patch?

Without some kind of clear evidence that they're supposed to do more than they are already (ie: comments in scripts, settings elsewhere that won't work without it etc) it's not something we'd be inclined to change.

• 11 months later...

What about the frost damage in general, from other ice spells? I have never seen any of them cause the slow status on any enemy (it only works on the player, as far as I can tell).

The UESP even mentions that the slow magic effect simply does not work on NPCs:

Slow will not affect NPCs unless they're drawing or sheathing a weapon, or something changes their carry weight. It will always affect the player normally.

Has this been addressed by the USKP? Because I use the latest version and am yet to see an NPC being slowed down by anything (ice spells or slow poisons).

^ Slow potion works for me. It takes a while, like half a second or so, it's not an instant hit, but you can visually see the enemy moving slower.