Remotely Pickpocketing a dead bandit

Screwball

Nope, I'm not losing the plot. This is happening, repeatably, with a specific bandit in Frostmere crypt.

Not far inside the location you come to a barred door. Just before that is a caged in walkway. Start to cross and you'll see a bandit to your right, behind a grating, by a switch. Shoot said bandit (hopefully a 1-shot kill), and before you can do anything else you are in Pickpocket mode pickpocketing a deat bandit 20 yards away. Nice one Beth :D

3 or 4 more bandits may notice you and come running. Kill them, and one of them might exhibit the same weird pickpocket behaviour as the first (or just a normal Activate of a corpse, but remotely), the remainder will not.

Here's a Save Game for anyone who wants to investigate (or just have a laugh) ;)

Load Order:-

Update.esm
USKP 2.0.7 (release)
SBBasement.esm
Run For Your Lives.esp 2.0.3
no killmoves, no killcams, no killbites.esp

Note that this has happened before, and not just recently either.

Possibly, but never encountered that "anomaly" anywhere else, regardless of active (or inactive) quests. Did you get to see the issue in your own game? I'm almost always sneaking, so I just tried it without. The initial bandit didn't give the issue, but one of the others (at the table in the room underneath) did (normal activation, not pickpocket, but still at a distance). All very odd ;)

Just noticed something else very odd in that location. Load the linked savegame, dismiss the bound bow, cast Invisibility. Sneak towards the caged walkway and at the instant you begin to hear the bandit's dialogue (a scene playing?) you lose your invisibility despite being nowhere near the time limit. Frostmere Crypt is just weird...

I guess the Pale Lady has a lot of strange influences on everything in that crypt.  :troll:

Seriously though, I have no idea what would be causing these issues. They sound like they could be game-engine related, but I'm not sure on that.

That's an understatement ;)

Is it worth me creating Tracdown issues for these? They're sort of bugs, but they don't really affect anything - they're just unexpected and unusual.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Arthmoor could probably answer that question better than I can and maybe he can comment one way or another. I do know that they won't be looked into here in the forums though, so if there's a reasonable chance that they are reproducible it might be worth a try. That being said, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they get closed as engine or otherwise non-fixable bugs.

That's pretty much why I posted on the forum first - to get an idea of whether it would be worth it or not. The pickpocket issue is not really game impacting, but suddenly being forced out of invisibility could be. It seems to be scene-related, and that one specific scene only (AFAICR),  so that one might be worth it. Both are repeatable with the provided savegame.

Yeah, tried your save- beautiful isn't it? Resetting the dungeon (had to forward timescale 9000 on yours) didn't reproduce either. Google turns up nix on it.

Have you got a game before entering the dungeon for the first time in "The Pale Lady"?  If this behaviour is the same on a second load of FrostmereCrypt01 I'll dig out an old save and try to reproduce it from there.

I have one prior to entering for the first time, but I discovered the location quite a while ago so had the quest sitting in my journal. Would have to go back a long way to find a savegame prior to finding the location.

Would that one suffice? I just tried it and got the pickpocket issue at the first attempt.

I should note that I've tried this without the Bound Bow, with and without Invisibility, with and without sneaking. One or the other of the 2 affected bandits cause the issue (sometimes pickpocket, sometimes a normal "container" type access, depending on the exact conditions).

[edit]

Savegame prior to entering Frostmere Crypt.

Note that due to the location it was saved in, you'll get dumped into the Sleeping Giant Inn, Riverwood. Ignore the Missing Content - it's not relevent, only mod required is USKP 2.0.7. I've tested it briefly and the problem still exists.

[/edit]

Has anyone checked to see if there's an OnDeath event script on these bandits that's misbehaving? That's about the only thing I could see happening that we'd have any chance of fixing.

I did look at a couple of them and they don't seem to have any scripts attached (though I'm not so hot on the CK so I might have missed something obvious).

Yikes this digging up old saves and assumimg they are going to work has culminated in a bunch of laughs.  :lmao:

BTW Screwball did you resolve this issue?

I'm still getting the

Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script tg06questscript attached to TG06 (00021552) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

before the CTD on the old saves. And, believe it or not, all the baked in forms and scripts (even tg06questscript) have been canned with Hadorams.

Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell ain't gonna budge.

So it's dusting off Alternative Start in between times. :P

If they're old (as in ancient) savegames then you might still get them. Last time I saw them was back in 2013. The issue was supposed to have been fixed in USKP 2.0 - see #13471 - and I've not seen it in any new game started since then.

Trig zone scripts use Activate() on actors to handle some functionality; this would break invisibility and remotely activate dead actors' inventories.

Trig zone scripts use Activate() on actors to handle some functionality; this would break invisibility and remotely activate dead actors' inventories.

Interesting... Can't believe that this is the only location, and the only bandits, where this could occur then. Surely Trigger Zones are used all over the place?

I assume from the above that neither issue is "fixable" and therefore shouldn't have Tracdown issues? They're not real problems - they're just odd and unexpected.

All of the old saves way back to dot are duds.

Weeell got it going with a little help from this  :banana:

Can confirm your problem with Frostmere. Here's my non-vanilla save.

Don't know when that Nexus "mod" was last updated, but the suggested load order is wrong for current releases of the UPs. Adding stuff with batches is useful, if tedious to create, but only really useful in a testing scenario. Kinda takes the fun out of the game if you're a superhero right from the start.

• 8 months later...

It's definitely not an ondeath event. Sometimes it occurs immediately when an arrow hits the enemy

Sometimes it happens a few moments after.

Could it be possible there's a script attached to the player causing this? Something the triggers on attack animation events?