How Custom races in Skyrim work

Deathbydestiny

Hoping you guys could enlighten me on this subject

In Oblivion, having a different race didn't do too much, it effected dialog (or lack of it I guess) and broke some quests (and were fixed to make them work with any race)

What's it like in Skyrim? I wonder this because I look at the fact that each race has it's own vampire race and yet they are still treated as their base race. How is that? Is everything conditioned against those sub-races in the game? Or is there some kind of alias system? Can I make a new race be treated as a Nord for example?

I believe the vampire races are treated as their regular races based on the "Copied Data - Morph Race" info in the General tab, which points to their regular race. That would be entirely different than a new race though.

If by 'treated as a Nord' you mean hear the dialogue such as guards saying "Stay out of trouble, Nord", those are merely conditions on the dialogue for GetPCIsRace NordRace. You'd have to condition those types of dialogue to add the same condition to include the new race to get guards to say it.

Without the USKP you'd have a couple of quests that would break. Only one I can think of off hand being the Dark Brotherhood.

I don't play with custom races though so anything else that might be an issue I've not seen.