Here is a fix for the "death after hug" bug

fore

Here is the fix for a Skyrim original bug, where a character (player or NPC) drops dead after executing the paired hug animation (paired_huga.hkx). This death happens when the character "should" have died before and has gone into the bleedout state after a brawl, or because s/he is essential.

I don't actually know where this bug happens in a vanilla game, and if it's of interest for USKP. But it's a problem that has bothered users of Vilja and other mods using this hug animation. 

This fix (1st and 3rd person behavior files 0_master.hkx) will be included in Vilja, and incorporated for 3rd person in FNIS. But for all others I think here is the right place. If you should decide so. 

I have added the corresponding xml files for documentation purposes only.

• Like 3

Huh, I did not know paired_hug was even a vanilla thing. Thank you, fore.

Is there anyway to trigger this for testing?

Huh, I did not know paired_hug was even a vanilla thing. Thank you, fore.

Is there anyway to trigger this for testing?

Oh yes it is. But I only knew it from Vilja, and they don't use custom animations. But I don't think it is used in Skyrim. Because I couldn't find any reference to "hug" or "huga" in the scripts, and paired animations can only be called by scripts.

But if you want to test it there are 2 ways:

- With mods. Either Vilja, or, much easier, with Free Hug Mod - A mod for love

- with scripts. Either NPC.PlayIdleWithTarget(pa_huga, player) or player.PlayIdleWithTarget(pa_huga, npc) - player and npc of course references.

Oh yes, and to trigger you simply loose a brawl. I tested after a brawl in the Bannered Mare.

No. It also happens whenever a character lost a fight, but was protected by the game. Either as essential character, or because a brawl must not kill. Then the next time s/he is part of a hug, this character will die.

• 5 weeks later...

Did a search as this issue has continued to bother me. Unfortunately this didn't fix the hug death bug for me.  I like my in-game hugs and having it kill my character is a real bummer.

• 8 months later...

Thank you so much!!!!! I was really bummed because the immersive lover's comfort mod uses the hug animation, which has plagued my save games with inevitable death every time it activates... This fixed everything. I can't thank you enough.