C++ Runtime Error R6025 - pure virtual function call

alt3rn1ty

There have been many topics across many forums reference this extremely annoying problem, and a topic started on BGS forum eventually found a working solution :

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1421930-c-runtime-error-mega-thread/

The problem : You have Dawnguard installed, and some time after entering the soul cairn you start randomly getting this error which crashes the game.

Where the error occurs and the frequency is variable, but usually once it starts it can occur seconds after a reload of a save, having previously loaded the same save and played on from there for a minute or two.

You can play on for a minute and manage to get another save in before it crashes, and then you load up only to rinse and repeat this seconds or minutes later .. Clearly the game becomes unplayable once the problem starts to occur.

It can be quite a while after leaving the soul cairn before the errors start occuring, and if you have made it all the way through DarkFall Passage, and progressing the dawnguard quests after there without issue, then you are probably among the lucky people with a machine this problem does not occur on. ( I have three computers, all set up the same for Skyrim in the mod content being used, and can concur the problem does not manifest on all of them ).

The start of discovering a solution was in the following post :

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1421930-c-runtime-error-mega-thread/page-6#entry22932701

Like jag272 I also have redone from game start many times trying to isolate the problem, and agree that the only solution we have is ..

Go back to a save prior to entering the Soul Cairn for the first time, then :

A ) If you see one of Jiubs Pages around the Soul Cairn - Do not pick any of them up

or

B ) If you do pick one of the pages up - You must complete Jiubs quest "Impatience of a Saint", collect all ten pages and finish the quest.

Doing either A or B appears to solve the problem for other people, but for me I always choose to do the quest, option A sometimes fails for me, but option B guarantees success.

If you choose B and want to do the quest, you may have problems picking up a couple of them. If you are using the Unofficial Patches these problems with picking up the badly placed pages have been solved, but if for some strange reason you dont use them then you will need to use a console command TCL so that you can go below the surface of the object / landscape blocking you from picking up the page.

If you just want to get this over with, here are the page locations :

gallery_1652_58_58647.png

There is obviously something wrong which possibly could be solved to allow this quest to be left hanging, but nobody has found the underlying cause.

The UPP team have had a few good looks at the problem http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/tracdown/issue/13562-dawnguard-c-runtime-r6025-error-jiubs-quest/, but cannot determine what the cause is. And IanPatt from the SKSE team was going to look into it when he has time  http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1447848-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/page-6#entry22491105

For now, just do either A or B, personally I have chosen to complete the quest approximately 8 times since finding out that solution, and it has worked each time. I am now confidently able to enjoy the Dawnguard questline, instead of using a delay dawnguard quest mod indefinitely.

EDIT: If the above does not solve it for you, try also completing Arvak in the soul cairn .. For me Jiubs pages is a guaranteed fix, but there have been a couple of reports to the contrary which also needed Arvak to be done.

EDIT2: If you have not gone back to a save before entering the soul cairn for the first time, then any of the above is useless .. The problem has already become embedded in your save.

EDIT3: There is a Trackdown Bug Report already submitted for this problem Issue #13562

• 1 month later...

I just noticed this mod on Nexus : Dawnguard Soul Cairn Microsoft Visual Runtime Error R6025 Fix by Blacksupernova. Did someone from the UPP team analyze it ?

In the description page the author mentions "a broken script of Soul Cairn Horse Quest that wasn't shut down properly". I don't see this mod in the "Mods Made Obsolete by Unofficial Patches" list and I can't find an entry in the UDGP changelog which could be related.

I've checked it. The changes it makes have no impact on the issue. People who got the crash before still get it afterward even with that installed.

The Soul Cairn bug has nothing to do with Arvak. It's been pretty well narrowed to Juib's quest.

I don't know if this might help but I got this bug after I had completely finished Dawnguard, before deciding whether to go back about 20 or so saves and half the quest line uncompleted I thought I'd try something else - so I went back to the Soul Cairn by fast travelling to Valerica's balcony and ran through the Soul Cairn with multiple saves en route ensuring I spoke to no one and no one spoke to me and the bone horse didn't spawn close by. In my original save I hadn't started the juib quest but on one occasion the horse had spawned right next to me and the horse owner had spoken to me although I hadn't responded and the quest hadn't appeared in my log......

Anyway I got to Valerica and told her Harkon was dead, consol completed the juib quest having read that it was the likely source of the problem (just to not have to talk to anyone else and possibly set off another episode of run time errors). Ran back through to the exit using the same multiple save method.

Got out of the place with Valerica following, spoke to her then fast travelled to my home and (possibly redundantly) did the 31 day wait thing in qasmoke. It stopped the run time errors completely though I have no idea which bit of my procedure actually worked.

O_o that took some perseverence, I have tried something similar before when experimenting with the problems and seeing how far I could get and maybe the errors would stop ( save, walk on, save walk on CTD, reload latest walk on save CTD reload etc etc )

I would say it was probably console completing Jiubs quest did it for you, though I would not recommend using the console to complete quests if you are going to continue a game from that point onwards, so never tried that personally.

I have just realised, the amount of times I have done the Dawnguard questline now, and never once thought to go back and see Valerica afterwards  :whistle:

I went back to Valerica the very first play through I ever did, at the time I was interested/hopeful that if she left the Soul Cairn poor old Durnehviir might be able to escape it as well or at least stay away for longer if he was called into Tamriel more often and regained his strength. Sadly it didn't happen (though he does seem to stay longer in Tamriel the more often you call him - might be wishful thinking on my part!) but I still always go back to her multiple play throughs later - its my own way of finishing of Dawnguard to my own satisfaction. 

Be a good mod for a scripter to do I think - "Free Durnehviir!". 

Anyway that's well off topic.

Possibly just going back to the soul cairn and completing juibs quest might work though, even if not doing it the first time going in. When the bug first hits you do get longer between episodes of it so it might be a work round for folks who have only just had the bug appearing?

• 3 years later...

Click to start the computer. Go to the windows start button select all programs.  Click accessories select system tools and then system restore system. Click the next button and follow the on screen command carefully and step by step and finish button look and click on it. After complete this process restart your computer manually.
Check for the other ways to fix this issue.
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/runtime-error-r6025/

Yeah, no, fraid not. I have a long history of trying to solve this problem includes reinstalling all drivers as recommended by machine manufacturer, uninstalling and re-installing MSVC Redist's, and completely replacing the OS from the ground up. During the course of two years looking into it I did the same on all three machines in our house which I could duplicate the problem upon .. And the only cause was when Dawnguard was installed (without it, no issues), and as described in the OP you have to take one course or the other after you reach the Soul Cairn (either dont do the quest, or do the quest and make sure you finish it by getting all of Jiubs pages).

That How to fix Runtime error on the site linked is similar to other sites advice on the issue, and if you go to the forum links I linked in the OP and start reading those from the start and other links I made along the way in other forums, you will find this has been researched to exhaustion. Give Bethesda a ring and the best they can come up with is "its due to a bad registry setting", which I think was just someone reading a scripted response and followed the wrong page or something = Bethesda can not help, and have not responded to three official bug reports on the same issue.

One thing I have not done yet is try to replicate this issue on Skyrim Special Edition, but I have my doubts I can replicate the problem on the new machine I have now. I am slowly working my way towards doing the whole Dawnguard questline again though.

• 3 weeks later...

I cant reproduce this issue on Skyrim Special Edition. I have now been all the way through the Dawnguard main quest and waaay beyond that, even popping back in to the Soul Cairn to say Hi to Serana's mum again .. Without completing Jiubs Quest, and having picked up a couple of the pages. I also left Arvak's Skull quest hanging (pardon the pun), and did not pick up all of the Reaper Shard Fragments (just one).

But then, I also have a new machine these days which may be as most people experience = There is no issue unless you have a machine with certain conditions / hardware.

So whether its because I have a new machine I do not experience this issue on Skyrim SE

.. OR ..

The issue is just no longer happening with the newer game engine for Skyrim SE ..

I cant prove either way.

I'm just thankful at this moment I will never have to be concerned with wandering through the soul cairn and making sure I have done x, y and z to make sure I dont get the r6025 bug ever again.

Sorry if anyone was hoping for something more conclusive either way or the other, but its beyond me to help.

My guess would be that it got compiled out when they converted up to 64 bits because that required a different version of Visual Studio than what LE was done on.

Apparently it does still happen ..

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/196503/any-plans-to-fix-the-dreaded-c-runtime-error-r6025-pure-virtual-function-call-programming-error

I am once again sending a Support ticket about the issue, linking the report to the above topic by FF7Legend, and this forum topic.

Also sending them one about the EULA Agreement in Japanese

OS English, Browser is Chromium also English, and only Bethesda.net does this ..

7ATUMcq.png

There are reports of " runtime error r6025-pure-virtual-function-call" with Fallout 4 so if it can happen there I don't think SkyrimSE is safe from that runtime error either. That said I don't really take any chances with this one, I always do all 2 (3 if you count reaper) misc quests in Soul Cairn before I leave to lower my blood pressure.

I have no idea how it happens in FO4 though so that one is abit harder to protect yourself against, thankfully it seems to be very rare there.