Where do Dragons go when they die?

Screwball

No, not the equivalent of Sovngarde or Aetherius, literally where do they go when they die in-flight and disappear off into the distance (often never to be seen again)?

Answer (well, at least one answer) - Labyrinthian of all places. Just inside the main gateway where you fast-travel to. Twice they've done that across me in my current game.

How did I find them? Well, in the first instance I ended up with a "stuck stack" in my logs which I got fed up of seeing. Noted the RefID and did a player.moveto (console command) expecting to find a dead dragon. No dragon. Or rather a dead dragon with no 3D (so I couldn't loot it) but as I walked through the gateway I got the Dragon Soul. So, it was there - kind of.

Downside was an awful lot of spam in the logs - but for a one-off situation (caused by me leaving it for so long, I suppose) I can live with that.

Second occasion I noted that it flew off in the general direction of Labyrinthian so I FT'd there immediately and there it was!

So, if you "lose" a dead dragon, head off to Labyrinthian and hope for the best ;)

I wonder why there of all the places they could go?

You're not the only one wondering that :)

Will be interesting to see if anyone else gets the same thing - or maybe somewhere different. Both occasions were somewhat local to Labyrinthian - one in Morthal and the other around Rannveig's Fast.

There has to be a reason for it, what that might be I have no idea.