"Save Game Script Cleaner" at Nexus

Arthmoor

So there's a new save cleaning utility on the market. Yes yes, I hear the screams, the groans, the, OH GOD WTF ITS A SPIDER (no, wait, that was the neighbor).

Abundance of caution is warranted for sure, but for some reason my gut said I should take a look at this one.

First off, no sign of virus, malware, or trojan. It didn't attempt to contact the internet, nor did it begin systematically trying to wipe out the entire drive or something. So it's not dangerous in that regard.

The documentation is sparse, but passable. The UI is easy enough to figure out for the simple parts. There is no source code in the archive, so that much of the description is false and ought to be changed.

I then decided to use it on a backup copy of the save for my oldest character. Papyrus throws a major fit whenever I load him. Tons of old stuff that got yanked, other stuff I compiled to stubs to shut them up, and a few stuck loops from bugs we've since fixed in the unofficials.

This tool is different from the others. It does not NULL out the whole block. It does in fact seem to be able to surgically remove whichever script you tell it to. My Papyrus log on startup went from a nightmarish mess full of dead scripts and numerous stuck loops to about the cleanest I've seen it since 11/11/11. In total, after removing the junk and then selectively removing all instances of critter scripts, I trimmed 1.5MB off the size of the save. Not as much as I'd hoped, but still.

The big thing is that it doesn't appear to have damaged the status of anything else in the save. All visible signs point to the game remaining in the state I'd expect it to be in. It loaded, ran for about 2 hours or so, then saved without a hitch. No CTDs, no hangs, no weirdness.

So tentatively this one looks like it's safe. I would suggest more eyes be upon it with saves you're willing to restore from backups though. If this ends up working, it'll be another major breakthrough.

Note: I have not tested the "clean havok-moved" or messed with the parts that look like they're for form ID deletion. So I can't speak to the safety or function of those. All I messed with was script removal.

Sounds interesting.  I'm looking forward to see what you have found after have tested this tool.

This looks very promising and could be a real life saver, my old character's that is :P I will definitely need to test this once I'm back at playing Skyrim.

• 4 weeks later...