[Oblivion] LOD Files - FAQ

Leonardo

I've almost finish the installation of all mods I wanted to use and then I started to think about what have I forgot to do, which arise another question and that's about TES4LODGen.

I know you should always install your mods and...

1. Sort your loadorder in BOSS

2. Clean all dirty mods in TES4Edit

3. Rebuild the bashed patch

4. Run TES4LODGen to generate LOD files

What I'm wonder about is that I've a least two mods that have separate LOD files included in each mod and UL 1.73 can be installed via a BAIN wizard, which is highly recommended to do.

The other mod is Iliana's Elsweyr Anequina that have separate LOD files and that's fairly easy to install the LOD files later, but that's not the case for UL 1.73 if I understand it correctly.

My questions is...  Is it important to let TES4LODGen generate LOD files from every mod in your loadorder or can I install both Elsweyr Anequina and UL 1.73 after TES4LODGen or not?

I tried to find more information about TES4LODGen on TES Cosi, but no I didn't find any relevant information that mention about your loadorder only a link for TES4LODGen on Nexus.

TES4LODGen scans references in all loaded plugins, checks which of them have _far meshes for statics and billboard textures for trees, and generates files in the DistantLOD folder that tells the game where to show them. Bashed patch is irrelevant, but plugins are not. So run TES4LODGen after any mod changes (similar to bashed patching), maybe except when you know that added/removed mods don't change landscape and world objects.

Keep in mind that this is a lod for objects and trees only, there is also lod for landscape which is generated by TES4ll. Can be also regenerated after any mod changes, in that case any lod files distributed with mods are irrelevant since they are overwritten by TES4LODGen and TES4ll. Only for people not using lod tools to build their own lod files.

So you mean that I shouldn't install the Elsweyr Anequina mod and the UL mod after TES4LODGen has finish the LOD files generation even if both of them has their own LOD files.

How do I install UL is it without LOD files or is it with LOD files?

Also what's TES4ll for tool.

No, you need to install Elsweyr too. Every mod you want needs to be in place, sorted, and your bashed patch built before you generate LOD for the game. LOD files are keyed to the mod index in your load order, and the bashed patch for Oblivion is capable of merging quite a lot, including landscape and static placements.

Arthmoor

That was just a response to what answer zilav gave me of my question, but you're correct about Elsweyr and besides adding the LOD files for Elsweyr is pretty easy to do.