Scripts, logs, debugs (and all that jazz)

Screwball

Firstly a bit of background. Back on Oct 20th I uninstalled (steam) and completely removed Skyrim itself and all associated folders in Docs&Settings (I'm still on XP64).

Reinstalled, entirely from Steam (did not, on this occasion, use my original DVD) both Skyrim and the CK.

Downloaded and Installed Tes5Edit and cleaned Update and all the DLCs.

Downloaded all 4 U**P and extracted them. Result:- a clean system (where Skyrim is concerned). Or you would think so...

So when I see

[12/07/2013 - 10:48:27PM] [DLC2MQ06PlayerScript <alias Player on quest DLC2MQ06 (050179D7)>] akOldLoc=[Location < (05019A20)>]
[12/07/2013 - 10:48:27PM] [DLC2MQ05PlayerScript <alias Player on quest DLC2MQ05 (050179DE)>]OnLocationChange: oldLoc=[Location < (05019A20)>], newLoc=[Location < (050143B9)>]

in my logs I think "Ah Ha! I'll go take a look at those scripts".

So I do, and what do I find? That all the debug.trace lines are already commented out!

Would someone kindly explain this anomaly before I pull out what little hair I have left?

That's because Bethesda shipped Dragonborn source files with the debug lines commented out, but did not compile the scripts again after doing so. As a result, some debug trace lines are still active even though they appear commented out. Commenting out the traces on the source scripts was probably done as an after thought just before the scripts were released with the CK update.

So add them to the tracker and they will be silenced by recompiling the script. Problem solved and no hair pulling required :P

Well, that is just bloody marvelous :(

As for the hair - I'm afraid time has aready taken its toll...

I'll look into adding all I can find. There are several others just filling up the logs, along with a LOT of errors. This could take a while.

As I said on the bug, it isn't as straigthforward as that as some scripts were shipped with debug trace statements already commented out. We are aware that there are 94 scripts which appear to be in need of recompiling, but due to the aforementioned fact, we decided to wait on the log spam to be actually reported for spesific scripts before recompiling anything for inclusion into the UDBP.

Basically, you'll need to report the individual debug messages. A script name producing the line would be a plus but it isn't required.

I must admit that I fail see the logic behind that when a simple compile of all (dragonborn) scripts containing commented out "debug.trace" lines would immediately remove hundreds, if not thousands of lines of log spam in one go. Unless a particular script has already been edited for UDBP and therefore has already been recompiled, of course.

Not the best use of anyone's time IMO, but it's your call if you want (potentially) 94 issues raising when there are outstanding issues (critter.psc amongst others) which are real errors, not just spam, going back to September, which have not yet been addressed.

Presumably a single report of a single debug spam line (even if there are multiple debugs in the script) will suffice? That should be enough to trigger the recompilation of that script. If not you'll end up with multiple reports for the same script which will be a nightmare to administer.

Put simply, we're not going to blindly recompile hundreds of scripts because of a few stray debug calls. There are a lot more of the DB scripts that have debug calls that were already handled properly either by us or by Bethesda so we'll just catch the remainders as they show up. It's not that big of a deal.

"so we'll just catch the remainders as they show up"

Can I take that to mean "if they are producing log entries" - in a current game with all the latest patches (official and unofficial)? If so I'll go ahead and create issues for them, if not I won't bother.

Can I take that to mean "if they are producing log entries" - in a current game with all the latest patches (official and unofficial)? If so I'll go ahead and create issues for them, if not I won't bother.

Yes, please!