Home for Qarl's Textures: A plea

lmstearn

Some folks on the Nexus haven't been able to get a good copy of the full Texture Pack any more.

They say the one over at Elder Scrolls is corrupt/doesn't work, or the split OMOD archive at Nexus isn't working.

Managed to get the split working on this OB last June, but has something happened to the files since then?

I have a lousy bandwith, being a country bubby, so haven't really got the wherewithals for uploading/downloading files.

Question: in light of increasing gremlins in the line from the Nexus, would it be an idea to make available the Qarls redimized in split form instead. This is a much better idea for a single thread game, and most gamers won't notice any difference in the detail unless they use a gi-normous screen.

As you probably all know, Qarl has passed away, it would be a sign of respect for the man that his legacy in the great game of Oblivion remains intact.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "split form" but if you're looking for somewhere to upload the mod that doesn't have the corrupt file problems that many of the Nexus download servers do, I can fiddle with the perms and upload the mod here. It's large, but I'm pretty sure we have space enough for it and as I recall Qarl was ok with mirroring it to other places.

I only have the Qarls full version, which was split into ~300mb sections on the Nexus.

Fileplanet's gone, that's another good repository lost.

Just noticed someone on the ElderScrolls site offered a link for the 11mb redimized patch, but the 1.66gb file is just too large for folks with dodgy connections.

If you were able to host it here, which would be fantastic, how would the folks on the Nexus pages know?

There is a broken texture for fort floor in redimized version if I remember correctly, and there is also a fixed version of invisible case entrance mesh somewhere on nexus. So if you ever going to host QTP, better fix it up before uploading.

Fixing it up wouldn't be that hard. I'm pretty sure the UOP patch for it has taken care of all that and then some and there would be no harm done if all of that were integrated into the whole package.

1.6GB is only an issue for Nexus. I've got a pretty solid connection and still anything over about 200MB from them gets delivered corrupt more often than not. Usually requiring 4 or 5 attempts before it goes through.

I'd be inclined to put it in a special category here that doesn't allow uploads but has the file size limit raised to hold it. Considering there's no real reason anyone would need to upload it beyond myself anyway :P

I only have the Qarls full version, which was split into ~300mb sections on the Nexus.

Fileplanet's gone, that's another good repository lost.

Just noticed someone on the ElderScrolls site offered a link for the 11mb redimized patch, but the 1.66gb file is just too large for folks with dodgy connections.

If you were able to host it here, which would be fantastic, how would the folks on the Nexus pages know?

I've both the one BIG file (1.66 Gb) and all OMOD's (11 OMOD?) intact and I think Qarl's mods needs to be hosted on MMH for the time being, because I know Fligg is working on Oblivion Modding History (OMH) if his statement about OMH are still valid.

I need to check Qarl's permission first before I do anything.  Btw...  Here can any modder add their permissions for the mods a modder have released over the years.

Qarl's permission on Modder's Permission Database

You may use any of my mods as a modder's resource and can do anything you like with them, with the following exceptions:

1. For my mods with clothing in them, don't just make a new shop and resell the clothes.

2. Don't pack my mods into a mods with a bunch of other mods packed in as a sort of combo mod pack.

Make your own mod. Don't just pack in a bunch of other mods and call it your own.

Any of my models or anything I've ever made can be used in anyway they care to.

A little credit in the readme would be nice but not something I really give a shit about.

I will be making more models for Oblivion because, well, it's just fun. :)

If not then Fligg is probably working on Modding History 2.0 and that's continuing of MMH 1.5, which was launched earlier this year.

Reposted from BSF

Fliggerty said:

We are very excited to present our new Modder Permissions Database!

Some time ago RedWoodTreeSprite gave permission to build upon the idea (and contents!) of her Modder Permissions pages. We have finally done that, and now have the Modhistory Modder Permissions Database.

This is a fantastic tool that will allow us to better track what mods we are allowed to preserve with minimal effort when sites go down. It also helps modders easily find out what resources they can use. All in all, the information we are collecting here is incredibly valuable to this entire community!

We encourage everyone, whether you create whole mods or contribute portions (ie artwork, story, etc) to mods, or participate in the modding community in any way, to add your personal preferences to our database. And this isn't meant to be limited to Morrowind only. As we expand Modhistory to include other games (and believe us, we're working on it...OMH will be debuted VERY soon!) this database will be mirrored. We're still working on filling it in, there's a lot of work to do....but it's coming along nicely.

So join in and help us preserve your legacy for as long as Modhistory is around....which will be a LONG time if we have anything to say about it!

--Fliggerty and the Modhistory Staff

As much as I respect Fliggerty for what he's doing, the permissions don't grant him an exclusive right either. The community is better off when these things have multiple mirrors available. Even Nexus may one day be gone... and then what?

Just checked and I thought I had one BIG file and all OMOD's, but it turned out to be that I didn't have the one BIG file.  Fortunately FilePlanet still have all of them available and I'm downloading everything there is right now.  Happy to help! :D 

Thanks, guys,

Appreciate the offer, Andalaybay.

Ramblings: Pt II

Chunking Qarls Redim into 3 or 4 sections would be a blessing from Talos (-even Zenithar), as 400mb can take more than 2 hours on a jittery ADSL2 line.

Don't like to infer that Nexus is not necessarily providing a bad service for non-paying customers. But for those on low bandwidth, premium membership doesn't really pay unless one considers upgrading their own ISP bandwidth at the same time. Might be nice for a XMAS one/off.  :celebration:  

The premium membership description page doesn't discuss pause/resume download/upload. This is a must/have for large files in any case.

For an ADSL connection, extra speed isn't a factor anyway.

Take the unchunked 2gb "Interesting NPCs" file for example. A minor update, and it's another 2gb download. Bet there's a lot of B/w compromised folk out there who would like to try that mod.

Using Google Chrome, an error in a download is completely ignored. No file size comparison, and apparent suppression of line parity/CRC errors. All boxes are ticked, except for the corrupt file. 

Albeit, it can happen, (almost miraculously), on D/L error, in retaining the broken D/L file, requesting the same file using the same server within a minute or two, the session is preserved, and the resume works.

Has anyone fared better with IE11?

Even Nexus may one day be gone... and then what?

It's all down to Bethesda: if they keep coming up with the goods, Nexus and the rest will be sure to hang in. Skyrim is a magnificent addition... but for the main part, the linear dungeons.  :sleeping:

This one spent some time on the site trying to locate a large "Decline & Fall" styled tome describing in blow by blow minutiae the evolution of TES Games_Mods. Ah well.  :cyclops: